Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Tinting Yay or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've definitely read as much as I can on this forum about it. Just curious if anyone saw any issues getting it and if they did what's a recommended tint percentage? One pic I saw on here at 20% looked too dark to me. A local shop that has done 200 MY (and 2 roof tints) has quoted me a fair amount (which I'm fine paying). It's not cheap, so definitely not a matter of cost. My wife will be primary driver and she's had skin cancer type issues so I'm just looking to maximize protection and lower heat when we move to South Carolina next year. The shop uses Xpel systems so XPel Prime XR, Prime HP and Prime CS. Thank for the input.

I've definitely read as much as I can on this forum about it. Just curious if anyone saw any issues getting it and if they did what's a recommended tint percentage? One pic I saw on here at 20% looked too dark to me. A local shop that has done 200 MY (and 2 roof tints) has quoted me a fair amount (which I'm fine paying). It's not cheap, so definitely not a matter of cost. My wife will be primary driver and she's had skin cancer type issues so I'm just looking to maximize protection and lower heat when we move to South Carolina next year. The shop uses Xpel systems so XPel Prime XR, Prime HP and Prime CS. Thank for the input.
I decided no since I was uncomfortable with the need to drop the headliner for the tint application.

I say nah to roof tint. I got the roof screens (https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Ove...ades-Compatible/dp/B07Q9BC8K7/ref=sr_1_3_sspa) and they worked fantastic during the summer. They definitely made it cooler in the car with them than without. It also blocked a lot of the sunlight coming in from the roof so that my window tint looked like the proper shade instead of lighter than it really was. The only drawback is if you're really tall or have really tall people riding in the back they might find their heads touching it.

Reactions: empiredown
I suggest visiting the shop and seeing each shade in person to make an informed decision. Looking at photos online or asking folks for advice is not that helpful as everyone has different VLT tolerances. If you request it most shops will also cut a small piece of film and throw it on your window for you to live with for a couple days to get a feel for what it will look like on your car.

I have 70% on windshield and roof. I took delivery mid September so I admittedly have not dealt with a full summer out here yet but so far I am happy with it - no visibility issues for me considering the roof is already dyed. I do not use a shade either for the windshield or the roof.

I hadn't heard that, but that's definitely good to know. How's the heat then in Austin? Do you use a sunscreen and did you tint the windshield / windows?
I'm not a definite "no" yet to tinting the roof. I don't like the look of the sunscreens. Here's what the guys at Xpel told me:

"For the roof of Teslas, Tesla has actually done a really great job with the coating of it. That coating reduces a lot of heat already. Keep in mind that the glass itself will still get hot and you will feel radiating heat from glass itself. But because the glass gets hot, specifically the roof being so perpendicular to the sun, we do not recommend a dark shade. Dark glass retains heat more, hot glass is more likely to crack. So if you are looking to reduce the heat even more, we would recommend a light shade, maybe 70% in the XR (blocks up to 88% of the heat) or the XR+ (blocks up to 98% of the heat)."

I say nah to roof tint. I got the roof screens (https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Ove...ades-Compatible/dp/B07Q9BC8K7/ref=sr_1_3_sspa) and they worked fantastic during the summer. They definitely made it cooler in the car with them than without. It also blocked a lot of the sunlight coming in from the roof so that my window tint looked like the proper shade instead of lighter than it really was. The only drawback is if you're really tall or have really tall people riding in the back they might find their heads touching it.
When I followed your link it was for an M3, not an MY. Did you use this on a MY?

I vote yes. I had my roof tinted and I've had zero issues with it. Looks great and keeps the kiddos nice and cool in the back. Not to mention the added UV protection. I don't believe they dropped the headliner either, seems like that would have taken much longer to accomplish than it did (if they did it was a fantastic job because I cannot tell). I'm not a fan of having to insert/remove screens from the car. If it was permanent and rolled away (or something) I'd be more inclined to go in that direction.

I vote yes. I had my roof tinted and I've had zero issues with it. Looks great and keeps the kiddos nice and cool in the back. Not to mention the added UV protection. I don't believe they dropped the headliner either, seems like that would have taken much longer to accomplish than it did (if they did it was a fantastic job because I cannot tell). I'm not a fan of having to insert/remove screens from the car. If it was permanent and rolled away (or something) I'd be more inclined to go in that direction.
Tint with dropped headliner is a 4-5 hour job.

With a plastic film in the laminated glass, I'm pretty sure it has nearly 100% UV protection already. If you want a darker car, go for it. If you are looking for UV protection or heat reduction, I'd skip it. If windshield tint is legal in your state, a light heat-blocking film there would likely have much greater benefit than adding more tint to the dark roof.