Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Vents Stopping Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Tesla solar denied me solar stating there were too many obstructions on my roof to even install the 4kW system. I was told they will not install over any obstruction no matter what and so because of what they observed from my roof, there would not be enough room to install the minimum amount of panels. There was no on-site survey, so I am guessing it was just done by satellite image. Thing is, most of the "obstructions" are attic vents which are only 1" in height(attached photos).from the roof, and many of my neighbors have solar installed by several other companies right over the vents.

Has anyone here had to deal with this and, if so, how did you resolve the issue? At this point I have not received a call from the project manager even though I was told he would, nor have I received any response to multiple emails. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200902_172001.jpg
    20200902_172001.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20200901_172603.jpg
    IMG_20200901_172603.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20200901_172620.jpg
    IMG_20200901_172620.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200902_171956.jpg
    20200902_171956.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200901_172641.jpg
    IMG_20200901_172641.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 170
I moved two plumbing vents as part of my prep for installation. I had to source my own plumber and roofer, and send photos to Tesla to show it was done before they would proceed to changing the layout to go over the former vent spots. I spent ~$700 to do this between the two contractors.

Tesla uses mounts that go very close to the roof. I would get quotes from other installers who use more traditional racking that can sit above those attic vents. There's also the "solar roof jack" which would then allow external relocation of the vents as well. Also some places allow shortening the vents so solar can go over them, but not all allow this.

I moved two plumbing vents as part of my prep for installation. I had to source my own plumber and roofer, and send photos to Tesla to show it was done before they would proceed to changing the layout to go over the former vent spots. I spent ~$700 to do this between the two contractors.

Tesla uses mounts that go very close to the roof. I would get quotes from other installers who use more traditional racking that can sit above those attic vents. There's also the "solar roof jack" which would then allow external relocation of the vents as well. Also some places allow shortening the vents so solar can go over them, but not all allow this.

I think it is pretty weak that I got an email at 5pm on Friday just saying it is cancelled versus them trying to work with me on it. Seeing as how this is their job, they could have told me what you have told me. Unfortunately I have still not heard from them. I will be calling around to see what the cost of moving the vents is going to be. Thank you for your help.

As you have probably discovered, Tesla is one of the lowest price options for solar, if not the lowest. One of the ways that they keep that price down is by being very inflexible. Unfortunately they just aren’t really willing to work with homeowners on problems like this. If they say that they won’t install over those vents then they won’t install over the vents and you won’t be able to convince them otherwise. They have a lot of business right now and they can afford to pick and choose the installs that they do and they pick the easy ones without any problems. It sometimes comes across as a slap in the face to people who expect a more customer oriented process, but like I said, they have enough business that they can afford to turn down installs that don’t fit their cookie cutter process.

So really you have two options, you could go with another solar installer. Local installers are usually much more willing to work with the homeowner to come up with a solution for obstacles like this. Unfortunately that does usually come at a higher price though.

The other option is to pay someone to move some or all of those vents to be able to open up more of your roof for solar. Once the vents have been moved then tesla will be able to re-evaluate and offer a solution. However, the vents will need to be moved first, they won’t just go on a promise to have them moved before the install.

Hey all,

Tesla solar denied me solar stating there were too many obstructions on my roof to even install the 4kW system. I was told they will not install over any obstruction no matter what and so because of what they observed from my roof, there would not be enough room to install the minimum amount of panels. There was no on-site survey, so I am guessing it was just done by satellite image. Thing is, most of the "obstructions" are attic vents which are only 1" in height(attached photos).from the roof, and many of my neighbors have solar installed by several other companies right over the vents.

Has anyone here had to deal with this and, if so, how did you resolve the issue? At this point I have not received a call from the project manager even though I was told he would, nor have I received any response to multiple emails. Any help would be much appreciated.

You "resolve the issue" by either moving the roof vents and going forward with tesla, or contacting your neighbors who had solar companies install over the vents, and using those companies.

Option 2 (using the solar companies that your neighbors used) is likely much easier.

If the question is "how do I make tesla install over these vents when they told me they wont", the answer is "unlikely, but you can keep asking and see if they change their mind". Tesla has its box they want to install in, and thats pretty much it.

I wouldn't want solar panels over my attic vents as it would reduce the effectiveness of the vents. Your roof does look like a very poor choice for solar in its current configuration.

Not only could it reduce the effectiveness of the vents, but I also wonder about the impact on the solar production and the longevity of the panels that are placed over the vents. Heat has a big impact on panel efficiency and I feel like a vent thats exhausting very hot air right under one or more of the panels wouldn’t be good for production or longevity.

Your box-like vents are different than ours which they did install over. Ours are pretty flush to the roof tiles and don’t really stick up like yours appear to. Maybe your roofer can install the type we have.

5A241112-2175-4556-ADE7-2D5B8C18D269.jpeg

Last edited:
Your box-like vents are different than ours which they did install over. Ours are pretty flush to the roof tiles and don’t really stick up like yours appear to. Maybe your roofer can install the type we have.

View attachment 584015

I sent this photo to Tesla and will see if they will still do it with these vents. I imagine the cost to change the vents is less then moving a bunch of them.

I want to thank everyone for the input. They definitely have the best price at the moment and its possible the additional cost will still end up being much lower than other solar companies. Hopefully I will be able to get this squared away within a couple of weeks.

Hope you can resolve the vent issue, good luck. I will point out that my roof (in photo) is a cement tile roof and yours appears to be thin shingles. Maybe a call to a roofing company in the meantime to inquire what can be used on your house would be wise. Explain the situation. I’m sure the height of those vents is the issue. If you submit a photo of your roof to them they might even be able to give you an estimate.