TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roof - Windshield glass surface mismatch?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tyseft163, Apr 9, 2019.

1. tyseft163

tyseft163 Member

I've had my Model 3 LR AWD only 10 days. While washing it this weekend, I noticed a bit of mismatch from windshield to roof glass. It's fine at Driver's side, but a bit pronounced at Passenger side. both images included.
    Anyone hear of or see something like this? i'm wondering if Tesla will roll their eyes at me over this. My guess is the roof glass panel isn't seated, if that's possible.
    No water got in during the car wash (LOL). so I guess that's a good sign.
    The level was used only because it was the nearest thing to a straight edge I had to illustrate this.

Attached Files:

2. Smoothoperator

Seems like QC did not improve in 2019. I also took delivery of a 2019 LR AWD about 2 weeks ago and have a ton of cosmetic issues. Try to schedule a service appointment to see what they say.

3. tyseft163

tyseft163 Member

I have an appt now. I'll find out a week from tomorrow, I guess.

4. Remington S

Remington S Member

Heya tyseft163, what happened w/ appt? I have the same issue :(

5. tyseft163

tyseft163 Member

The Tesla Service Center in Rockville, MD replaced the windshield and rooftop fixed glass panel (fixed glass is the nomenclature for that part) on 4/29. My wife had to go pick up the car. I didn't drive it on the highway for a few days after pickup. Then, when I did, I noticed that they definitely caused several snags in the defrost diffuser mesh fabric at the front of the edge of the dash. (I did have mobile service out in early May to replace the defrost diffuser due to the snags.) And, I think that I hear more wind noise on occasion when driving on highways. I'm not absolutely certain that there is more noise. But, thankfully there's still no water leak.
    I had mobile service out the other day and asked the technician about the perceived wind noise. He said, if I'm certain I want to pursue it, he believes service centers can do an ultrasonic test on the adhesive bead around the glass while running water on it. Evidently, this is something they had to do years ago for some Model S problems.
    I'm going on a road trip in early July. If that trip convinces me that I've got an air leak/wind noise problem, I'll try to go the ultrasonic test route.

6. KenC

KenC Active Member

Mine is similar, maybe even worse, October 2018 build, #104xxx. Passenger side raised, driver side flat. I can't tell if there's more noise, but it would be a suspect spot, obviously, if there was, given how it sticks up into the airflow. No water intrusion that I can tell. I've never contacted the SC about it.

Attached Files: