Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rooftop Solar Dims Under Pressure From Utility Lobbyists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What off-grid battery system can YOU acquire AND maintain for $360/year?

Your compensation for participating in a net-metering plan is for getting retail (and not wholesale) pricing for the electricity that you export to the grid and also avoiding the expense of your own on-site battery system to avoid sending power to the grid.

Both parties benefit from net-metering. To argue they don't is disingenuous. Feel free to argue the relative value of the benefit that each party receives, but not to say that it's just a one-way street in either direction.
Yep ... but it is not just any battery back-up. It replaces a battery that provides unlimited load and unlimited capacity. The only somewhat practical alternative I can think of is a personal fossil fuel generator as a tertiary back-up.

@TheTalkingMule trust me, I thought about ways to cut out the utility entirely using a PHEV as my tertiary back-up but I decided that would be a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face. I'm much happier with the idea of having two EVs instead of one EV and one PHEV; my lack of expertise is not exposed; and weeks like last winter with little sunshine -- albeit unusual -- do not have to be big, big deals. The few cumulative net days a year that I could be burning gasoline in a PHEV instead of coal at the plant was not worth all the costs and risks.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue