Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rooftop Tents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently found out there are roof top tents and they are awesome! Here is a random example of one if you're not aware of what I'm talking about but there are many different ones from many companies.

Does anyone on here have one or able to recommend a brand/model? There are hundreds of different ones and i would like some assistance on picking a good one for me.

Obviously something like this would create drag and lower the range but some of the hard top ones are slick to help reduce the drag. Also this would be easier than installing a hitch and buying a small trailer, and a trailer would prob make more drag that a roof mount tent.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
In my experience from my 4x4/overlanding days, RTT's tend to be 1) overly expensive and 2) a PITA. It will absolutely annihilate your efficiency too. Like 50% or so which will make for some stressful legs between charging that would otherwise be a breeze. Do NOT underestimate just how impactful this will be on your travels if you do choose this option.

Honestly, throwing your tent in your car and then setting it up is much easier and you'll get better gear for less money. Even better than that, camping in the car itself is perfect if you have 2 people or less. No need for gear at all in that case. You'll get a better night of sleep and no need for any gear other than a mattress of some sort.

This was one of those things that, to me, seemed like a real good idea on paper. In practice... let's just say I wouldn't go back to it.

In my experience from my 4x4/overlanding days, RTT's tend to be 1) overly expensive and 2) a PITA. It will absolutely annihilate your efficiency too. Like 50% or so which will make for some stressful legs between charging that would otherwise be a breeze. Do NOT underestimate just how impactful this will be on your travels if you do choose this option.

Honestly, throwing your tent in your car and then setting it up is much easier and you'll get better gear for less money. Even better than that, camping in the car itself is perfect if you have 2 people or less. No need for gear at all in that case. You'll get a better night of sleep and no need for any gear other than a mattress of some sort.

This was one of those things that, to me, seemed like a real good idea on paper. In practice... let's just say I wouldn't go back to it.
I will not be able to sleep in the car because I'll have too much gear and stuff. I'll be living on the road traveling around the country staying at campgrounds. Just trying to evaluate other options besides setting up a tent and air mattress all the time.

I wouldnt mount it on any of the Tesla roofs. More than likely void any structural warranty.

But to the original question, CVT, Tepui are my #1 and #2. However they are heavy. There is static weight and dynamic weight loads you will have to account for. Even full steel roofed vehicles/trucks/SUV's, overloaded with occupants have damaged the roof and caused weight dents. I would rather get a dedicated tent trailer and pull it. Because a vehicle mounted RTT causes your vehicle to also be non-movable during its deployment.

I will not be able to sleep in the car because I'll have too much gear and stuff. I'll be living on the road traveling around the country staying at campgrounds. Just trying to evaluate other options besides setting up a tent and air mattress all the time.
You would still have to s/u and tear down your tent every time. You wouldn't be saving much.

For the scenario you described, if you absolutely can't find other places to put your stuff (frunk, lower rear well and my wife and I have even been known to move stuff from the back to the front and back each time when in-a-pinch) I would get a small, lightweight and aerodynamic trailers to haul your stuff and camp in the back. This seems like the best user experience to me. I would have a hard time going back to tent camping after getting used to the creature comforts of Tesla camping. It's quite a bit better and you'll get far better sleep.

You would still have to s/u and tear down your tent every time. You wouldn't be saving much.
CVT improved their outside cover to not really have a cover, but i would agree it still takes some time to still setup either way. Sleeping off the ground on a flat surface and not having to worry about prepping the surface and water if it rains is a great benefit of RTT.

Reactions: Ostrichsak

How about a roof top cargo box for your gear so you can sleep in the car like a civilized Tesla owner? ;)

A hitch cargo box and removing the back rests of your rear seats might be more practical.

If the gear is wet then it can air out in the box with the lid cracked open.

Or a plywood platform over the stuff inside for a foam mattress, overflow in the hitch box.

Roof top tents are basically the dumbest trend in camping/overlanding.
I'm on the fence about getting a hardshell RTT for my Rivian R1T.

For that vehicle it doesn't have some of the negatives like having to worry about roof structure, and efficiency (people have already verified the efficiency doesn't decrease much if at all).

I certainly understand the drawbacks like the prohibitive cost, and the annoyance of having to tear down a camp site just to get somewhere. Plus you end up camping closer to the road versus back a bit.

Despite the negatives I still find myself wanting one.

I live in the PNW where it rains a lot so I like the idea of being off the ground.
I plan on leveraging power from the Rivian.
Rivian now has the camp mode where it will autolevel the vehicle so you don't really need leveling blocks unless its a really extreme angle.
Most of my camping is quick overnight stuff, and then I move on. Sometimes I stay at a camp ground. and sometimes I stay in a hotel. I tend to mix things up a lot.
I usually end up getting to a campsite late so I'm not really into the idea of setting up a tent when the RTT I want (the iKamper Mini) only takes a min or two.

It doesn't mean I won't bring a tent with me for times where that makes more sense.

Ultimately its the cost that's likely going to keep me away, and reduction is rear view vision which I really like in the R1T. If I do get one I'll probably just leave it on the vehicle the entire time. It's 120 pounds so its not like I want to move it around a bunch.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I'm on the fence about getting a hardshell RTT for my Rivian R1T.

For that vehicle it doesn't have some of the negatives like having to worry about roof structure, and efficiency (people have already verified the efficiency doesn't decrease much if at all).

I certainly understand the drawbacks like the prohibitive cost, and the annoyance of having to tear down a camp site just to get somewhere. Plus you end up camping closer to the road versus back a bit.

Despite the negatives I still find myself wanting one.

I live in the PNW where it rains a lot so I like the idea of being off the ground.
I plan on leveraging power from the Rivian.
Rivian now has the camp mode where it will autolevel the vehicle so you don't really need leveling blocks unless its a really extreme angle.
Most of my camping is quick overnight stuff, and then I move on. Sometimes I stay at a camp ground. and sometimes I stay in a hotel. I tend to mix things up a lot.
I usually end up getting to a campsite late so I'm not really into the idea of setting up a tent when the RTT I want (the iKamper Mini) only takes a min or two.

It doesn't mean I won't bring a tent with me for times where that makes more sense.

Ultimately its the cost that's likely going to keep me away, and reduction is rear view vision which I really like in the R1T. If I do get one I'll probably just leave it on the vehicle the entire time. It's 120 pounds so its not like I want to move it around a bunch.
get one you wont regret it we love our roofnest, so comfy for me and my fiances and my dog. we always have a blast in it even in downpours

Does the Condor XL fit on the Model Y?

Based on i1Tesla's video:

It seems like the edge of the regular Condor is already pretty close to the trunk lid when it's lifted.

Also like others, I'm worried about the weight with an adult or 2 in the tent on top of the roof rack.
yes it does fit but we dont use it on our Y we use it on our palisade im not taking the risk with the rack and the pads of the rack barely touching the glass. our palisade rocks with the tent and about 700 pounds on top with no issues

That is pretty darn cool. If there was something that could attach and seal to an open (slightly cracked a couple inches) car window and bring warm air into the tent…..you could add just a bit of heat into the tent. Would not take much to make a huge difference. The heat would naturally rise up in the car and escape into the tent. Running the car heater all night does not use a ton of battery and could be a great addition.
I know a little crazy maybe but would really be a game changer for being out in those kind of temps in a pinch

come on man with the back seats folded down its like a queen side bed back there in the model s, with better then home cooling and heating why would you even look at camping on the roof

Reactions: Cheburashka