Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rookie Questions about springs and spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be receiving my stealth performance 3 next week (18" wheels). In an effort to make my 3 look a little different than all the others one of the things that was recommended to do was put 1" springs (front and back) and 15mm-20mm Spacers front and back respectively.

Rookie Questions:
1. Are they suppose to do a realignment at the same time?

2. Are there any other parts that should be done at the same time? I see people talk about camber, caster, arms, etc. and have no clue what I should be looking at.

3. When looking at springs to order I saw different sizes for Dual motor (1"/1") vs Performance (1"/1.4"), Which should I go with?

As a side note, I have no plans to take my car to the track, but I do want to get a good life span out of my tires and car. Of course I will be doing lots of 0-60+ with every new person that rides in my new baby ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, I have already learned so much from the TMC forums!

Anyone... Bueller..... Bueller ;)

I'm wondering, too. I was surprised to read on here that there is no camber adjustment on the cars. That seems highly unusual to me. Now, it could be that there is some, but that lowering the car by that much exceeds the adjustability. Toe is the more important of the two, but I'd prefer to keep camber not too far off. At least it is negative, which helps the handling.

I did find some specs in ths thread: Alignment specs attached

I want to think I've seen people ending up with -1 to -1.4 degrees. If rear, that is in spec, but it is a bit much for the front. My race car, for reference, is usually set at -2.7.

You won't need to align the car if you install the spacers on their own, but you will need to if you change the ride height (lowering springs, coilovers). There is no camber adjustment from the factory so if during the alignment you find the rear camber to be excessive, we've got arms to fix that exact problem!

Reactions: Joabe
The UP Mild springs lower about 0.7". They most likely will not need additional camber arms. The next least lower springs are T-Sportline and Eibach which are about 0.9-1.0" drop. They are probably borderline for the camber arms, though most don't need them. You will need to get an alignment after several hundred miles to allow the springs to settle. Most do 15/20 mm spacers which will be pretty flush.

Reactions: Joabe