Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rookie questions - new owner in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Did the electrician installed an disconnect box also? I am just getting a quote now and in order to qualify for the $500 rebate it must be hardwired. Is disconnect means necessary ? Under code 625.42 my charger ClipperCreek HSC50 does not fall under the over 60amps or 150 volts to ground rule. Thanks!

Hello all. Did the electrician installed an disconnect box also? I am just getting a quote now and in order to qualify for the $500 rebate it must be hardwired. Is disconnect means necessary ? Under code 625.42 my charger ClipperCreek HSC50 does not fall under the over 60amps or 150 volts to ground rule. Thanks!

Our Tesla recommended electrician (Jimmy Pham 714-3NineNine-5998) provided me a Load Calc which I took to our Building Department and pulled an electrical permit in July 2015. Jimmy installed our version 1 HPWC directly to a 100A breaker in an existing 100A sub-panel (which is connected to our 200A main service panel). No additional disconnect box was installed between the sub-panel and it passed electrical inspection and our permit was signed off and it's worked flawlessly now for 2 years.

Jimmy has installed a generation 2 HWPC on a 100A circuit in one of my friends garage for his 2017 Model X 90D. Great guy whose very familiar with Tesla HPWC installations. I suggest you take pictures of your mains service panel, & sub-panel (both showing breaker sizes & location of spare breaker spaces if any) and proposed HPWC location. Then give Jimmy a call, and send him the pictures so he knows what your electrical situation is. He'll probably be able to give you an answer over the phone.
IMG_3291.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: David99