TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rooster Tail ?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Larry93428, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Rain in California after a long dry period !
    Looking in the rear view camera or mirror I do not see much of a rooster tail or spray following me. Is is possible that with our super-slick air flow we throw up less spray? Probably would have to follow a Tesla to tell. Anybody notice less mist behind?
    ~Larry

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not sure about a rooster tail, but the Model S aerodynamics result in a lot of spray coming back onto the rear bumper and trunk lip. Here in the north it makes using the rear camera almost impossible in wet/dirty conditions.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have the same experience in the rain with my Model S rear view camera. It's useless.

4. LMB

LMB Member

(LMB spouse)

I don't know about mist, but I was in a parade of Teslas going to the unofficial East Greenwich Supercharger opening after a light snow. The P85s in the parade were throwing up unbelievable amounts of road salt, so much that you couldn't drive behind them. The 85s and 60s, not so much. Probably the tires.

P.S. Love your avatar. Triodes rock.

5. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

One of my boats was disqualified for throwing too big a rooster tail...Oh wait, wrong place. But ran my windshield wipers today first time in 9 months.
    SoCal Burt