Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ropey charger install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would pose a question to the collective. I had a charge point installed by a reasonably well known provider. The charge point had some software issues which were dealt with with the manufacturer directly. They couldn't have been more helpful with both the UK Distributor and Overseas Manufacturer being excellent to deal with and, largely, very communicative. However - another issue developed that caused the charge point to randomly trip its own breaker whilst both connected and disconnected from the vehicle (bit of an issue if you need to get somewhere further than your charge range the next morning). A new charge point was dispatched by the manufacturer and another engineer sent (who was fantastic and thorough). A number of issues were discovered:
1. Live feed to the charge point breaker in the sub board only held in the terminal by two strands.
2. The charge point was earthed to a spike but not bonded to the house earthing.
3. Earthing termination was poor resulting in a high out of spec resistance reading (a standard test of an installation and pass/fail on a certificate.
4, Earth test reading found to have been falsified on the certificate from the original install
5. Cable grommets not installed so cables on sharp metal edges.
6. Incorrect type of breaker installed
7. Cabled not clipped down correctly

So, regardless of whether the above issues caused the tripping or there is a fault with the charger, would you have expected at least a call, email or some kind of acknowledgement of a sub standard install now rectified (some aspects I feel were dangerous). Even if it was just a "wow, really sorry - its all fixed now and we've sent the original installer on some more courses" response? In part of my day job this kind of shoddy work on temporary event installs would get people killed and and I worry that the original engineer may cause an issue down the line. Thoughts?

When the installation was completed, did you receive a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate? Electricians who are registered with recognised professional bodies are able to certify their own work but others must use a third party inspector or building control at the local council. Whether it is a professional body (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA), a third party inspector or the local building control, they would have an interest in a substandard installation carrying their certification - and that it has been rectified.

Maybe he was just moonlighting from his main gig doing pre delivery inspection at West Drayton :eek:

Sorry not trying to make light but could not resist.
I agree there is no way something this bad is a one off. Should really be reported to someone.

2. The charge point was earthed to a spike but not bonded to the house earthing.

While all the rest of the points on your list are serious defects, this one is normal - and if you have now linked them, the installation has probably become non-compliant (either that, or the earth rod was a waste of time and effort in the first place).

The whole point of using earth rods with an EV chargepoint is to create a separate earthing system, so as to protect the user against faults where the PME earth rises to a significant voltage compared to "true earth". Inside the house, the PME earth is safe to use as everything is bonded and the user isn't able to touch "true earth" or anything connected to it. Outdoors, the user is often standing in the mud of "True earth" and the problem arises, with the creation of a separate earth system being the easiest solution in most cases.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Cwmwd