TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roscosmos vs. SpaceX

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#1 Grendal, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    It looks like the Russians are feeling the heat with SpaceX. They are developing a lower cost manned system. This article specifically compares (incorrectly) to SpaceX Dragon 2 system's cost. It ignores Boeing and makes no comparison to them even though their system is quite a bit more expensive than SpaceX's. It also compares the development cost of the Russian system to the full development program of SpaceX:

Russia's Federation spacecraft 3.5 times cheaper than NASA’s SpaceX Dragon — RT News

I do like the idea of a multirole system that the video shows.

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I could be misunderstanding, but the cost of contract to SpaceX is inclusive of some number (8?) missions, whereas it sounds like the Russians are only counting the R&D costs.

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Yes, you are understanding correctly. The Russians are spinning it pretty badly. Unless the person writing the article is trying to create a bizarre conflict where there is none. I don't speak Russian so I don't know what the video is saying.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about a new Roscosmos manned spacecraft taking ISS launches from SpaceX. With the crash in the price of oil the Russian government lacks the resources to do anything but scrape by.

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I'm not worried about it anyway. At this point it is a matter of national pride to get a US company getting American astronauts back into space. Paying the Russians to do it was just a necessity after retiring the Space Shuttle. The Russians had an opportunity during the interim. I find it hard to believe that ULA hadn't anticipated the need and had something prepared for when the SS retired. No question that it was shortsighted to ignore the need. Either that or ULA/Boeing/Lockheed/Orbital really expected the government to figure it out and throw a bunch of money at them before they would even consider it.

You can really see how Elon and SpaceX were able to step in at the right time to blow these companies out of the water. In another 5 to 10 years it will be utterly ridiculous how superior SpaceX will be compared their competitors. Look how far they've come in the last 5 to 10 years....

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Something to keep in mind is that Congress thinks of NASA as one of the last big pork barrels available, so they don't really like a new comer like SpaceX because they're trying to do things efficiently at low cost. That is definitely not what the Republicans controlling Congress want, so they've been consistently willing to pay the Russians for trips to the ISS rather than funding SpaceX. While American, SpaceX isn't a good pork supplier, so they pay the Russians until their favored companies can come up with a vehicle.

Had they funded SpaceX originally, we'd probably have an American transport system to the ISS by now and be independent of Russia. It remains to be seen if this will change.

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I doubt it. I think the recent statements/talking points will run into the future that they will always want a "backup" system for whatever they do. Of course that will not be true when it is the pork barrel companies in the prime position. You won't hear that there needs to be a backup to SLS. The "backup" system will maintain the pork for the old school launch companies. Let's face it that FH, once flown, makes SLS completely obsolete. Add in any sort of reusability with FH and it becomes ridiculous.

The same is true for the Russian Federation capsule and system. SpaceX will shortly have it beat even with the savings that they are discussing.

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

• Like x 1
  9. Ludus

Ludus Member

RT is very sophisticated. They allowed comments that corrected all the inaccuracies in the article.

With corrections, the Russian agency is promising to do almost as much as SpaceX has already done for about the same price, over the next 6 years. Nobody really believes them, but if they did it would still be too little too late.

The article link that starts with a reference to relatives afraid of the Russians assassinating Musk is more accurate and that's RT also.

On balance I'd like to see discrete secret service protection for Musk.

• Like x 1
  10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

#10 aronth5, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 2
  11. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The Russians are really very good at space stuff. When they fund it. Remember, Elon was voraciously reading old documents from the Russian space program when he started SpaceX.... not American space program documents!

I wouldn't consider this to be commercial competition. Russia will try to maintain a space progam and hey, maybe they'll have customers. Not *US* customers... maybe customers who the US government will not allow SpaceX to have.