Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotate the tires with one jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you lift from the front jack pad, it will lift the both wheels on that side off the ground, allowing a simple front to back rotation (unidirectional tires).
Don't know how to safely rotate side to side with one jack unless you have a spare tire to use during the process, or one of those Tesla "Safe Jack" stands.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I rotate tires using one jack pad and a floor jack on the rear to raise one side off the ground moving front to rear and rear to front then I repeat on the other side. I have an impact wrench so the process is really quick for me. I also chock the wheels on the opposite side being jacked. Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and Phlier
So if you lift from the front jack pad, it will lift the both wheels on that side off the ground, allowing a simple front to back rotation (unidirectional tires).
Don't know how to safely rotate side to side with one jack unless you have a spare tire to use during the process, or one of those Tesla "Safe Jack" stands.
Reversing the rotation of a radial tire (even non directional tires) after the tire has been in service isn’t recommended and therefore only same side rotation is recommended in non staggered applications unless the tire is dismounted and doesn’t have a inside or outside tread design. Staggered setup rotation is not recommended at all. Irregular wear is likely from changing rotation and may cause more tire issues than benefit.

Reactions: Phlier
Quick jack sure looks nice but a bit pricey for me now, specially since I would only use it for tire rotation.
What makes the Safe Jack so awful?
I don't own them but curious to know.
See my post here: MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

Reversing the rotation of a radial tire (even non directional tires) after the tire has been in service isn’t recommended and therefore only same side rotation is recommended in non staggered applications unless the tire is dismounted and doesn’t have a inside or outside tread design. Staggered setup rotation is not recommended at all. Irregular wear is likely from changing rotation and may cause more tire issues than benefit.
Could you provide more details on this? First time I’ve heard it. One of the main things I like about this car is that I can rotate tires properly - front/back and side/side. Otherwise my left hand side tires are always wearing out before the rest.

I've been thinking about looking at a QuickJack, but have been a bit lazy lately... haven't researched which model QJ would be appropriate for a Model 3.

Any help? :)
5000SLX will be a bit short - about 1” - but will work fine without any negative consequences. Bunch of guys here are using it. 5000EXT will fit “properly” but that won’t fit a Miata, which I’m likely to own again someday. 7000 variants of each will likely work as well?

• Helpful
Reactions: RNHurt and Phlier
re: radial rotation -

Could you provide more details on this? First time I’ve heard it. One of the main things I like about this car is that I can rotate tires properly - front/back and side/side.

Maintaining rotation was true when radial tires were first introduced due to ply separation issues. It is no longer an issue except on racing tires and directional tires.

Rotating directional tires 'backwards' can increase the risk of hydroplaning, increase noise, and accelerate wear.

Could you provide more details on this? First time I’ve heard it. One of the main things I like about this car is that I can rotate tires properly - front/back and side/side. Otherwise my left hand side tires are always wearing out before the rest.
I learned it in automotive school before getting ASE certified and working at one of our family dealerships. In the past x pattern rotation wasn’t recommended due to early radial tire construction limitations (shortly after bias ply tire phaseout). Today the main reason to only rotate on the same side is if a tire has irregular wear (not normal wear) patterns reversing the tire it can cause exaggerated wear. Tire rotation isn’t a correction for improper alignment wear problems and those tire wear issues can only be corrected by alignment. If tracking a car and the wear is simply from extreme loading then cross rotation may be a good solution if the tire design and sizing allows.

Last edited:
I use a jack on the rear Jack point and place a jack stand with pad under the front just to be sure. Also use wheel chocks on the side not being lifted. Rotate same side F to B and B to F, then rinse and repeat on the other side. I drive a lot so I rotate every 10k miles and this has worked well for me for my first 100k miles.