Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating clicking type sound coming from front of new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this yesterday, while sitting in traffic, the sound is from outside the cabin, under the front or "frunk" of the car and the only way to describe it is a clicking or ticking sound.
When I got home and parked the car, I got out to investigate and the sound would come and go, in terms of frequency and also loudness but when I locked the car as the fan (or whatever) started to wind down, you could tell this clicking sound was rotational, like a fan hitting a cowling and as the fan or other rotating device came to a stop, the frequency of the sound got more spread out until it stopped.

Now, when I was inside the car, I completely switched off the climate, which made no difference to the sound, so I'm thinking air pump or some other heating or cooling device?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I called Tesla (was their breakdown line) and they said they would try and get an appointment but given there is a 2 week wait on getting my charge port looked at, I'm not that hopeful of anything this side of Easter.

I just noticed the same issue! Any idea what caused it? I posted about it here: Loud "helicopter" sound from fan below frunk (cold weather)

That was pretty much it, however in your video it seemed more of a thud, thud, mine was more click, click, but same rotational sound and the slowing down that can be heard in the video is exactly what I experienced too.

So, I had the car booked in and they didn't find any fault, they carried out a "Thermal Stress Test" or words to that effect and to be fair, I haven't heard it since.

Good luck and I'd also be interested in your outcome.

Glad to hear it wasn’t an issue on your end. Same over here…the sound went away over time after the car had a chance to warm up, and I haven’t observed the issue since. Must have been ice buildup. Thanks for the reply, cheers!