Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating my MSP 19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have nearly 6K on my MSP and I am planning to rotate the tires. Have same wheels & tires front & rear.

Here is what I plan to do checklist.

Am I missing anything?

1- Park on level cement and chock wheels
2- Set suspension to high mode
3 - Set MSP in Jack Mode
4 - Put jack pad pucks on front and rear on one side and using 2 jacks, jack up side front and rear
5 - Remove lug covers on both wheels
6 - Remove lug nuts on both wheels
7 - Inspect & clean tires and wheels
8 - Inspect disk brakes
9 - Swap front and rear tires
10 - Snug up lugs
11 - Torque lugs to 129 ft/lbs with my digital 1/2" torque wrench using cross pattern (front and rear)
12 - Replace lug caps
13 - Lower jacks and move chocks then repeat for other side
14 - Turn off Jack Mode

Thoughts?

Normally the SC rotates tires at 12K check up but tires should be rotated every 6K miles according to manufacture (Michelin) if they are the same all around.

M

You need do 5 and also loosen lug nuts before jacking the car up. Then 4 and 6. Also, don't tighten nuts until jack is lowered. Just snug them up until jack is lowered, then tighten. This is exactly how I rotate my tires. I didn't raise my suspension up, but that might make things easier.

Upvote 0
It makes it more difficult to loosen, and also to tighten to 129 lb Ft torque with a free spinning wheel with hand type tools. Also it is more dangerous on home jacks with free spinning wheels. Most instructions say to loosen past tight lug nuts while on the ground, then raise the car and remove lug nuts. When putting lug nuts back on to snug them up to the wheel while raised, lower jack, and then torque nuts tight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use a 1/2 impact wrench. Jack up car, then remove the lug nuts and wheels. Lug nuts can be installed back to ~100 lb/ft while front wheels are in the air. Final tighten and torque to spec with wheels on ground, or lovely assistant activating the brake pedal.

Attachments

• Impact_wrench.JPG
    Impact_wrench.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Before lowering the car to the ground, I would tighten the lug nuts until you are absolutely sure the wheels flush well against the rotors. If they are still loosed and lowering the car to the ground could cause the wheels to tilt and not flushed well to the rotors, it would be difficult to tighten and flush the wheels to the rotors while a 5000lb car is on the ground.

I have an air impact gun and use the lowest possible torque settings to tighten the lug nuts while car is above the ground and tighten with a torque wrench while car is on the ground.

I prefer raising the car first and then removing the lug nuts with impact gun. Impact guns are powerful enough to loosen the lug nuts while car is raised.

Peter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TY for the replies. When I read the spec for torque of 129 ft/lb it did not specify ground or air. Typically I always torque in the air then re check on the pavement. I have only done the rear wheel on my MSP and was able to do in the air without issue. Pretty sure jack mode must apply emergency brake, only guessing. My Makita impact has three settings 50/75/100.

M

Reactions: topboxman
Upvote 0