Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating tires on Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR RWD. What is the preferred tire rotation pattern? front to back or X?

Use the rearward cross pattern:

LF -> RR -> RF -> LR -> LF

tire_rotation_123.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
Please also consider that the method used is based on the tire tread pattern. Some tires with a unidirectional pattern (look for an arrow) can only be mounted in one direction (so no cross or X)

Yes you are correct, there are two exceptions to these rotation patterns:

1. Directional tires have a tread that is supposed to only rotate in one direction. With these tires, you cannot switch the wheel to the other side of the car unless you have the tire dismounted and remounted on the rim.

To rotate directional tires, use a "same-side swap":

LF exchanges with LR
RF exchanges with RR

This keeps all tires on the same side of the car so that the tires always rotate in the same direction.

Fortunately, none of the OEM tires that Tesla includes with any Model S, X, or 3 are directional. Furthermore, directional tires are quite rare in the Tesla tire sizes, so even aftermarket tires will usually not be affected by this exception.

2. Staggered tires is a setup where the tires on the rear axle are wider (different size) than the tires on the front axle. This is a common setup for the performance Model S (P85, P85D, P90D, P100D). In this case you cannot rotate the rear tires to the front axle or vice versa.

To rotate staggered tires, use a "same-axle swap":

LF exchanges with RF
LR exchanges with RR

This keeps all tires on the same axle.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I only rotate my OEM 18" Michelin MXM4 and my winter 18" Michelin Xice Xi3 tires from front to back on the same side. No crossing from side to side because the tires are directional. Look at the tire sidewall and if you see an arrow with direction of rotation, do not cross them over.

Reactions: DR61
Please remember that tires must be the same on AWD cars or else you can cause the system to over compensate, and that could be bad for the differential. So if you replace one tires (say for a nail) you need to make sure it is within an allowable difference in depth (x/32nds) from the tire on the other end of the axle (or even front/rear sometimes). I usually have Tire Rack shave the new tire to match the others.
This is only true on cars with a mechanical limited slip differential. The Model 3 only has open differentials.
You can also order used tires on eBay to get a matching one for cars that require it.

I only rotate my OEM 18" Michelin MXM4 and my winter 18" Michelin Xice Xi3 tires from front to back on the same side. No crossing from side to side because the tires are directional. Look at the tire sidewall and if you see an arrow with direction of rotation, do not cross them over.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires are directional and should be rotated in a "same-side swap" pattern, always staying on the same side of the car.

The Michelin MXM4 tires are not directional and should be rotated in a rearward cross pattern.

Also note that regenerative braking means you're using friction from the tires for braking in addition to acceleration, increasing wear on the tires. For RWD that means you'll go through rear tires faster, but won't need to change brakes as often.

It's not the amount of friction, it's the application in a two-wheel drive system with regen.

View attachment 352392

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2017/ph240/leis-pretto1/docs/US7647997.pdf
I was going to refute your original statement just like @SomeJoe7777 did.... But upon reading your excerpt I realize that it is, in fact different, for RWD cars! ICE vehicles use all 4 tires to transmit brake friction and due to the weight transfer the front tires see more braking friction than the rear. With RWD EVs, especially if the driver heavily uses regenerative braking vs friction (guilty as charged), the front tires effectively see ZERO breaking friction except when the friction brakes are applied (which is rarely for me). This means that the rear tires on an RWD see 99% of the stopping wear and will naturally wear faster than an ICE RWD vehicle. Thanks for sharing.
Another reason to rotate tires on the RWD!

It's not the amount of friction, it's the application in a two-wheel drive system with regen.

View attachment 352392

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2017/ph240/leis-pretto1/docs/US7647997.pdf

You're exactly correct in this post, but you weren't clear in the previous one. That post expressed a different view, in that regen somehow wears the tires more than regular braking does, which is not true. Overall tire wear (i.e. aggregate of all 4 tires) is the same.

@insaneoctane said what I would say in response ... to distribute tire wear equally on a RWD vehicle that primarily uses regen through the rear axle, you absolutely must diligently rotate the tires throughout their life to achieve maximum longevity. This is more important than on a non-regen RWD vehicle where the acceleration is on the rear axle but most braking force is on the front axle.