TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rotating tires on P85+

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Mayhemm, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I know that rotating the tires on a P85+ is not usually possible due to the combination of directional tires and staggered wheels.

However, my rear tires (265/35R21 Michelins) are done and I plan on replacing them in the spring with Pilot Supersports (245/35R21). This would effectively return my car to a squared setup, which would normally allow front/back rotation.

Even though the tires would now be the same size, the wheels would not be. (8.5" front vs. 9.0" rear). Would this difference still prevent tire rotation even though the tires are now the same size?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

IMO yes. 9" in the front will create problems with the fender wells. IMO not observed. If you want to return to the squared configuration get two more 8.5's

3. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

If you are considering going to a square setup, I would change the rims so all are the same size. We have the 21's in the square setup with the Michelins, and currently have 22K miles on them. They have been rotated every 5K miles by Tesla, and the alignment performed at the services.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Agreed. If you don't, you'll end up with squirrelly tires on the misfits-either too big up front or too small in the rear. A big handling and safety issue. Yes, we pay a big price for those lovely wheels. I regret it but love it at the same time.

5. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Maybe we should trade....My 2 8.5 for your 2 9.0 rims?

6. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Heh, that would have worked well since I'm planning on driving out to the east coast this summer. Could have met you in the middle.

Only problem is I need the rims before I set out so I can put new tires on them (my current rears are down to the wear bars so I wouldn't trust them on a long trip). Fancy a trip to Saskatchewan? :wink:

I suppose we could ship them but I shudder to think of the freight charges.