Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating Tires question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can any tire shop do this? I noticed there are special pads to jack the car. not sure if every tire shop knows how to do it?

Also I also noticed you can make an appointment on the app for mobile service but it doesn't say what Tesla will charge to come and do it.

Please do not tell me it's easy to do yourself. I know...i don't want to do it myself. :)

We had Costco do it for $25. Tesla will charge a lot more. There is no reason to use Tesla for tire rotation. They price the service very high to discourage people from using them.

If you buy your replacement tires from Costco they will do it free for the life of the tires.

free even if you didn't buy the tires from them?

Yes. America’s Tire/Discount Tire offer free tire rotation even if you did not buy the tires from them. Why? Presumably to try and convert you to being a customer when you need replacement tires.

But I don’t like the idea of asking a shop to work on my car for free. It just seems weird to me. For the $25 I pay Costco I feel good knowing that I paid a fair price for the service being provided and I’m under no obligation to buy my next set of tires from them.

I’m not a legal expert but in my limited legal experience of contract law, I believe that you have to pay something for a service being provided before you can hold the party liable for damages. So if someone offers to rotate your tires for free and then damages your car while lifting it up, it may be questionable whether you can legally hold them liable for repairs. But again, I’m not a lawyer so I may be wrong here.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
But I don’t like the idea of asking a shop to work on my car for free. It just seems weird to me.
Yeah, I'm with you on the one.

I’m not a legal expert but in my limited legal experience of contract law, I believe that you have to pay something for a service being provided before you can hold the party liable for damages. So if someone offers to rotate your tires for free and then damages your car while lifting it up, it may be questionable whether you can legally hold them liable for repairs. But again, I’m not a lawyer so I may be wrong here.
Hadn't thought about this, but good point!.

My neighbor had the Tesla service tech come to the house to rotate the tires. I observed. Super easy to do yourself if you have a modest jack. Simply jack up at the jack point right in front of the rear tire. Jack up the car until both front and rear tires on that side are no longer touching the ground (loosen the lug nuts before lifting). The whole side comes up as the body is plenty stiff. As this is the Tesla certified way, it won't hurt the car or battery. Took me under 20 min to do both sides.

Reactions: Leeclanual
My neighbor had the Tesla service tech come to the house to rotate the tires. I observed. Super easy to do yourself if you have a modest jack. Simply jack up at the jack point right in front of the rear tire. Jack up the car until both front and rear tires on that side are no longer touching the ground (loosen the lug nuts before lifting). The whole side comes up as the body is plenty stiff. As this is the Tesla certified way, it won't hurt the car or battery. Took me under 20 min to do both sides.

Did he uses an impact wrench to loosen the lug nuts?

Here's some pics and you can see the tools I used in one or two of them -

as a person who experience their jack failing on them, never do this without jack stand even when you are not going to be under it. I my self got the rennstands for this purpose with my m3. My trusty floor jack of 9 yrs failed on me a few years ago working on my bmw and that was frightening.

I don't usually worry about rotating tires.... but reading your post, No_ICE, about Owings Mills, I may just do it. I clipped a shed semi tire tread on the highway yesterday, and you cannot really see the black on the lower front driver's side corner. But getting that buffed out could give me a reason.

Generally speaking, Tesla's not great at tire stuff. For a very long time, they couldn't even patch a tire due to company policy. They don't offer road-hazard warranty with a tire purchase, and their pricing for things like rotations is high.

I know it's been a long time (June 2018) but Tesla mobile came to the house to rotate the tires on my RWD and charged nothing. Later I've seen posts with folks being charged $75. I know OP doesn't want to do it but it is pretty straightforward; I got one of those magnetic jackpoint 'protectors' and just do it myself now. HTH :)

I know it's been a long time (June 2018) but Tesla mobile came to the house to rotate the tires on my RWD and charged nothing. Later I've seen posts with folks being charged $75. I know OP doesn't want to do it but it is pretty straightforward; I got one of those magnetic jackpoint 'protectors' and just do it myself now. HTH :)
It is indeed easy to do...unless one has a narrow single car garage with no space to use a jack and has a sloping driveway and lives on a street on a hill. ;)