Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating Tires question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla quoted me $125 to have the ranger come to my house and rotate tires... what are people paying at places like Costco or Jiffy Lube, etc.
$125 is outrageous
I mean all we talking is the rotation of tires, and maybe some free air. Shouldn't be no more than 40 bucks,this is simple work
I don't know the avg costs because the tire rotations were always free on my last car

Reactions: Leeclanual
Yeah, but Tesla recommends 129lb of torque, which is pretty dag on tight
my old car was 80lbs of torque, that's hand loosen

That is indeed very high. My Tundra 4WD wheel lug nuts torque spec is 100 ft-lbs. Most torque wrenches are a bit over 100 ft-lbs. Anyone know why it's so high ?
Actually, the 2011-2013 Tundra with steel wheels called for 154 lb. And that isn't the highest: the Porsche Carrera was 407 lbs. I tried to find a better chart, but here is just one of many floating around the interwebs: https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/326/326-wheelnuttorquespecs.pdf

Reactions: vasuvius
Finished the rotation on my own after a visit to harbor freight... told Tesla to pound sand for $125. 3 ton low profile jack at $108, 21mm deep socket for $4, torque wrench for $5 (special... normally $30), and jack stand for $20. Took about 25 mins total... after reviewing some good online videos.

Finished the rotation on my own after a visit to harbor freight... told Tesla to pound sand for $125. 3 ton low profile jack at $108, 21mm deep socket for $4, torque wrench for $5 (special... normally $30), and jack stand for $20. Took about 25 mins total... after reviewing some good online videos.

You're a brave man to trust a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Leeclanual
You're a brave man to trust a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. :)
Ive used the same torque wrench from harbor freights for 15 yrs. It’s been used on my turbo build, BMW and 350z builds so I wouldn’t knock it. I’ve recently used this on my Prius tear down of the top block. I’ve done dozens of engine work. It might not be pro quality but for an amateur mechanic it works. No need to spend more than you need to it.

as a person who experience their jack failing on them, never do this without jack stand even when you are not going to be under it. I my self got the rennstands for this purpose with my m3. My trusty floor jack of 9 yrs failed on me a few years ago working on my bmw and that was frightening.
I did tire rotation at home today.
I noticed my 3000lb harbor freight floor jack frame was twisting under load. I guess the jack is getting old and the Model 3 is heavier than my previous car, MINI Cooper.
I lifted from the rear jack point. I would have to put a stand in the front since the rear jack point is occupied by the jack.
But the front wheel is barely lifting off the ground and there is not enough height to put a jack stand under the front jacking point.
I will buy a heavier duty floor jack for next time and use my current jack to support front.
So I will be using two floor jacks next time.

In the past I've done it myself, since it's faster than driving to a tire place (30 miles) and waiting while they do it. I did it by replacing a tire with the spare, then serially moving the tires to each new location. There's only one extra jacking.

Two questions:

1. What's the rotation pattern? Just rear to front, same side??

2. How does it work with jack stands? That is, you jack it up, but you can't put the stand where the jack is. You jack the whole side up?

Thanks!

Thanks.

That demonstrates the problem. The inventor says that you have to find someplace else to put the jack stand or you have to jack up the car in the wrong place. (0:56).

So if I don't have that inventor's ingenious device, how do I do it? How do you guys do it with a model 3?