Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating Tires question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the JackPoint jack stands for my car and they work great. They have a Tesla-specfic pad for the Model 3. People also like the Rennstands.

JackPoint Jackstands, LLC.

The RennStand by Safe Jack

I have done all my mods with RennStand by Safe Jack. Nothing but praises for it, highly recommend it. To add an extra layer of insurance, place wheel you removed directly under the battery rail or the drive unit; the wheel will take the weight of the car if it falls off the jack for any reason.

Thanks.

That demonstrates the problem. The inventor says that you have to find someplace else to put the jack stand or you have to jack up the car in the wrong place. (0:56).

So if I don't have that inventor's ingenious device, how do I do it? How do you guys do it with a model 3?
Just get another floor jack. that's what I will do next time. two jacks - one in the front, one in the back.
what I have now is rated for 3000 lb. the next one will be rated for 6000lb.
Together they can lift 9000 lb. But since I am lifting only one side, they need to lift 2000 lb.
I don't have the car lifted for longer than 5 minutes.
If I was getting under the car to work on something, I would never trust the jack(s).
But for tire swap, I do it without jackstands.

I have done all my mods with RennStand by Safe Jack. Nothing but praises for it, highly recommend it. To add an extra layer of insurance, place wheel you removed directly under the battery rail or the drive unit; the wheel will take the weight of the car if it falls off the jack for any reason.

Any clearance issues with using with the Safe Jack ? I saw on Teslarati that you need a minimum of 5.5 inches of clearance. I measured underneath the jack point and I don't have the minimum clearance. The site recommended driving on stackable garage floor tiles, so I may go that route instead of buying a new utlra low profile floor jack...

Any clearance issues with using with the Safe Jack ? I saw on Teslarati that you need a minimum of 5.5 inches of clearance. I measured underneath the jack point and I don't have the minimum clearance. The site recommended driving on stackable garage floor tiles, so I may go that route instead of buying a new utlra low profile floor jack...

At the track or at home when I only need to jack up one side, I use a homemade ramp made of two 2x6 screwed together. When I need to jack up one end of the car, then I will use the ramps I have.

Track ramp.
IMG_6275.JPG

Last edited:

Most modern floor jacks of appropriate weight rating will fit fine. You don't need an "ultra-low profile" floor jack.

That is indeed very high. My Tundra 4WD wheel lug nuts torque spec is 100 ft-lbs. Most torque wrenches are a bit over 100 ft-lbs. Anyone know why it's so high ?

The torque has to do with the size and thread pitch of the lugs (as well as the style of seat). More is better as it has more clamping force and is less likely to fail. Tesla doesn't cheap out on things like wheels and brakes.

Get a good torque wrench and you won't regret it. I like this one because it's accurate, is the perfect length, easy to use and you don't have to waste time backing the wrench off the torque setting to avoid calibration issues. It also has a pivot at the head. It only allows maybe 10 degrees of flex each way which is the perfect amount for doing wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-In...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002XMSFIM

It's made in the USA and is one of the nicest I've seen. Functionally, just as good as the Snap-on for a lot less money.

At the track or at home when I only need to jack up one side, I use a homemade ramp made of two 2x6 screwed together. When I need to jack up one end of the car, then I will use the ramps I have.

Track ramp.

Thanks for the information and the pic - much appreciated ! I contacted Safe Jack and they recommended using a wood ramp, such as what you made, or the stackable garage tiles. Thanks again !

1. What's the rotation pattern? Just rear to front, same side??

2. How does it work with jack stands? That is, you jack it up, but you can't put the stand where the jack is. You jack the whole side up?

Thanks!

What I've found:

Answer to 1: Just same side, no crossing.
Answer to 2: Unless you put a stand where it's not supposed to go, or you get a special system like the one in Jay Leno's video, you can't put the stand where the jack is.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
After rotating, do you have to do anything to the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system)? Does it automatically know which tire each reading is coming from?

Manual says this:

View attachment 503832

Yes, the TPMS is really smart and it figures out which wheel is which in less than 5 minutes. Very painless. It might ask you to select 18", 19" or 20" wheels after you have been driving a couple of minutes but, other than that, you don't have to do anything.

Yes, the TPMS is really smart and it figures out which wheel is which in less than 5 minutes. Very painless. It might ask you to select 18", 19" or 20" wheels after you have been driving a couple of minutes but, other than that, you don't have to do anything.
Only thing I don't like is the pressure won't show until you drive for a minute or two, it makes it tough when checking/adding air to a tire, I bought a tire pressure gauge, which I haven't had to use in years, as all my past vehicles could show tire pressure as long as the car was on.

Has anyone used a standard jack stand underneath a rubber puck to hold up the car? I understand the jack stand would dig into the puck, but if it does the job and holds it there then it did its job?

I tried it with a cheap scissors jack. It did indeed deform the puck a little bit, but it didn't break it. I have since gotten a 4,000 pound scissors jack that came with my ModernSpare.

I got tesla repaired a slow leak on my back tire. Cost 75.00 to patch. Lex Brodie would do the same. i heard Good year would have done it free. Next time. Where would you place your hydraulic jack to lift the car on the side to rotate tires? Is that the proper rotation to rotate the front and back on the same side?