Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rotor/brake pad stuck problem for 1 week of sitting in garage

And with everyone else talking about caliper maintenance - this wasn't the pad getting stuck in the caliper, it was the pads sticking to the rotor due to humidity.

Which is one of the two possible outcomes of a pad that is not properly sliding in the caliper. The other outcome (more common) is that it sticks AWAY from the rotor and the rotor rusts/pits beyond repair before it is noticed.

fiehlsport

Jul 30, 2020
Binghamton, NY
Which is one of the two possible outcomes of a pad that is not properly sliding in the caliper. The other outcome (more common) is that it sticks AWAY from the rotor and the rotor rusts/pits beyond repair before it is noticed.
It does make sense, but in my own experience - since my car was new, (really any car I've owned) if I drive it in the rain then park it in the garage overnight, the pads stick to the rotor the first time I back out in the morning. This just sounds like a really severe case of that since it was left for a week.

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.18.2
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
It does make sense, but in my own experience - since my car was new, (really any car I've owned) if I drive it in the rain then park it in the garage overnight, the pads stick to the rotor the first time I back out in the morning. This just sounds like a really severe case of that since it was left for a week.
I mentioned this in another thread, but this has happened with every car I've owned over the past 30 years.

The worst occurrence was back around 1991 with a Dodge Daytona. I did my weekly grocery run during a Kansas thunderstorm and then parked in the parking garage when I got back to my apartment. When I tried driving it a week later, the brakes had totally rusted shut and no matter how hard (and dangerously) I tried to accelerate in D or R, the car wouldn't move. I had to have it towed to get the brakes replaced.

• Funny
Reactions: fiehlsport and KenC

jimm01

Apr 29, 2021
Devonshire NJ
just want to share with the community members. model 3 was left in garage when we went on 1 week vacation. when we return, we couldn't drive the car for more than one wheel rotation. the car felt stuck on rear passenger side like the brake is on. after towed to Tesla service center, I was told the rotor is stuck to the brake and now needs to be replaced. model 3 has 15k miles on it and under 3 years old. this was considered brake wear/tear and not covered by warranty. I was told I should have serviced the brake annually where they would clean the rotor/brakepad. I ended up paying the cost $630. but it sounded absurd. nobody told me that the brake needs to be cleaned/serviced yearly. and, one week of sitting in a garage (Boston weather) that is not humid would cause the rotor to get stuck. more importantly, I see it as malfunction of the rotor/brake rather than wear and tear.

just one thing to share with the community so others can be aware. also, I was told I might not want to rely on regenerative brake too much so the rear brake pads get used. I am sure it makes sense mechanically but just absurd that Tesla wouldn't own the problem here and fix it. at the minimum, remind us about this 'annual service'.
lubricate the brake slides.

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Sounds like there was nothing wrong and they charged you $600 for a brake job. It likely would have gone away if you drove a few miles and used the brakes.

It happens more often on a tesla because when the car is in park the brake is on. With a normal car the transmission in park holds the vehicle and the brakes are off.

Very common for parking brakes to get stuck in manual transmission vehicles for the same reason.
If the calipers are stuck closed and the pad is grinding on the rotors, the pads and rotors will need to be replaced. So $600 would make sense in that case. It is a little expensive though.

coleAK

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
I just looked it up. You probably don’t need Rear pads and rotors are but if you do they are ~$160. If you are mechanically skilled enough to operate a socket wrench, pliers, and a floor Jack you can change pads and rotors in <1hr.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC