TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rotor hat painting (other than silver)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kevincwelch, Jun 19, 2016.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I painted mine silver a couple of years ago, but as the wheels got powder coated and the chrome is going away, I am starting to feel like the bright silver rotor hats are out of place.

Has anyone painted their rotor hats black or some color other than silver? If you have, pictures would be nice to see what they look like.

I'm thinking black....not sure if it should be a gloss or matte look.

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Funny you should ask... I had bought black (flat not glossy) paint and was preparing to do this, to cover up the rust forming there.

Then I started noticing other cars... and decided the black would make the rotors look like they weren't attached to anything. Just shiny discs floating in space behind the wheel.

My wheels are stock 19" and I have a winter set that are similar in appearance, all painted silver.

I decided not to have black rotor hats, and exchanged my unopened paint for a can of silver instead... It's the purpose made high temp brake parts paint you can buy.

I was going to do this paint job over the weekend, but time ran out.

Maybe with darker wheel colors, greys and blacks... the rotors would look better if painted black.

3. kevincwelch

The rotor hat could be a subtle change. This was my Photoshop attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SarasotaModelS

SarasotaModelS 2016 85D Midnight Silver/black pano, 21s, Next Gen

Just had my rotors powdercoated black by C2 Powdercoating in Bradenton, Florida. I think it makes a big difference.

Attached Files:

5. kevincwelch

Those look nice, SarasotaModelS. Flat black?

6. SarasotaModelS

SarasotaModelS 2016 85D Midnight Silver/black pano, 21s, Next Gen

Yes