Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotten egg smell after "100%" charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is from our garden or my car, but often after 100% charge on software limited 60D, area around my car smells like rotten eggs. I assumed the cause was our garden, but it's too correlated with my car charging to rule out that possibility. Anybody have experience or knowledge with this?

While I wouldn't characterize the smell as "rotten eggs", you might want to check your electrical connections to make sure they are not overheating. If there is some overheating, you may be smelling that. Better safe than sorry.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
No experience on Teslas wrt this smell but this is the typical smell of insulators when they overheat. I have seen it happen with incadescent light bulb housings around the home. The smell is strong and you can locate its source around the car.

While I wouldn't characterize the smell as "rotten eggs", you might want to check your electrical connections to make sure they are not overheating. If there is some overheating, you may be smelling that. Better safe than sorry.
Agreed. Specially the tesla connector where it plugs in to the car. If used, the UMC plug adapter (both sides), face of the outlet it plugs in to, and the back of the outlet (inside the electrical box) where the wiring lugs are. If using a HPWC, you may want to check the A/C line lugs feeding it. If an electrical panel nearby, check breakers/connections/lugs there as well.