Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough Cost Comparision - S 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The average monthly maintenance cost for the ICE's seem awfully high. I spend about that much on maintenance, per year not per month on my ICE.

Also might want to consider that the Tesla will probably go through tires much faster (and are much more expensive) than the others.

The average monthly maintenance cost for the ICE's seem awfully high. I spend about that much on maintenance, per year not per month on my ICE.

Also might want to consider that the Tesla will probably go through tires much faster (and are much more expensive) than the others.
The 19" tires are nothing special and on my 60D they are wearing so evenly that they almost don't need to be rotated at all.

What about expected residual trade in-value after the 84 months?

I considered that but didn't want to speculate. I figure the value of an ICE with that many kilometres would be very low. Unsure with the Tesla.

I found pricing for the Subara 10k and 20k kilometre maintainence increments in the GTA and assumed tow of each per year. The Volkswagen one is based on real receipts for a VW Golf we currently have average three years of maintainence. The DSG transmission service is ~$600 including the rest of the scheduled maintenance every 60k kilometres. The Jeep one might be high our current Wrangler is not expensive but rarely driven either.

I'll look into tire pricing, I didn't consider 19s would be much more then the 18s we are used to replacing.

Even with these numbers it's hard to pull the trigger. I would not typical purchase a luxury vehicle but the EV part is so attractive.

I can't open your sheet right now, but I did the same prior to making my purchase.

Each situation is different. For me, we ran a 8 year scenario for 150,000 miles with a residual value of $0. We also ran a 5 year scenario good at 60,000 miles using KBB for residual values for a number of cars.

For Tesla, we used their prepaid service plans as a price point. For all other makes, we included any initial included maintenance (BMW, Jaguar, Toyota, etc.) and actually called to get service estimates on major intervals.

I'm in the US, but a MS 60D for my situation came out to be the same exact cost per mile as a Toyota Sienna or Toyota Highlander. It was also cheaper than a Nissan Maxima, Acura RDX, Jaguar XE, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Genensis AWD, Lexus GS350 AWD, Cadillac CTS AWD.

Having owned at half a dozen Subaru's, I can say it will won't come close in terms of cost of ownership when compared to any model using a 2.0/2.5i with a CVT over a 5 year span. In the US, the residual values, included 3 year maintenance, and low fuel consumption make it tough to beat. Even if you extend into a 8 year/150,000 miles it'll be tough. If you have a turbo version or a version that requires premium gas, utilizes their timing belt instead of chain, or is lower in reliability; then those numbers skew and you will break even eventually with the time frame based on how lucky you are or aren't.

I can't open your sheet right now, but I did the same prior to making my purchase.

Each situation is different. For me, we ran a 8 year scenario for 150,000 miles with a residual value of $0. We also ran a 5 year scenario good at 60,000 miles using KBB for residual values for a number of cars.

For Tesla, we used their prepaid service plans as a price point. For all other makes, we included any initial included maintenance (BMW, Jaguar, Toyota, etc.) and actually called to get service estimates on major intervals.

I'm in the US, but a MS 60D for my situation came out to be the same exact cost per mile as a Toyota Sienna or Toyota Highlander. It was also cheaper than a Nissan Maxima, Acura RDX, Jaguar XE, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Genensis AWD, Lexus GS350 AWD, Cadillac CTS AWD.

Having owned at half a dozen Subaru's, I can say it will won't come close in terms of cost of ownership when compared to any model using a 2.0/2.5i with a CVT over a 5 year span. In the US, the residual values, included 3 year maintenance, and low fuel consumption make it tough to beat. Even if you extend into a 8 year/150,000 miles it'll be tough. If you have a turbo version or a version that requires premium gas, utilizes their timing belt instead of chain, or is lower in reliability; then those numbers skew and you will break even eventually with the time frame based on how lucky you are or aren't.

The Subaru was the only vehicle of the three we looked that that came out to be a lower total cost per month. They also have great financing offers at the moment.

The Subaru was the only vehicle of the three we looked that that came out to be a lower total cost per month. They also have great financing offers at the moment.

You can't go wrong either way. Both great cars, but very different type of cars. At the end of the day, Tesla's aren't as expensive as most think as long as you don't go nuts on the options.

I was in the same boat as you, I was really hoping to be able to fully explain the purchase with cost alone. But it's a luxury purchase at the end of the day, comparable to ~45k USD car in my situation. For my area, it also matched up almost identically to a diesel getting ~40 mpg as well, but I live in a high $/kwh and low diesel cost area.

Just be happy you're not comparing to used as well. I told my wife this specific thing:
For the price of a new MS 60D, I can buy a used Porsche Cayman for the track. A used Porsche Cayenne Diesel to tow it to the track. AND still have enough for a new Subaru Impreza.

She said "Yes, but none of them would be a Tesla"

She said "Yes, but none of them would be a Tesla"
A very wise person!:D
I received similar advice.
In the end few major decisions are purely rational. Most of us need the rational arguments to justify non-rational decisions.
Anyway, non-reational does not mean irrational. There are aesthetic and enjoyment factors that always weigh on every major decision for housing, transportation, clothing, food, beverage and much more.
Nothing is wrong with that but...we all need to rationally ensure we can afford our non-rational decisions.
In my household we have budgets. Our budgets allow for those things. If times get tight what do you think we'll cut? Not Tesla, for certain.:eek: