Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough Estimate for Cost/Time of Repairs On Bumper + Rear Quarter Panel Damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stos

‘23 Model X LR
Jul 15, 2021
South Carolina
I was in town for a football game and someone backed into my parked car in an empty parking lot last night and caused the following damage:

Image.jpeg

What's the rough estimate for both cost of repair and the time it would take to complete the repair for a damaged bumper/driver rear quarter panel given what's seen in this image? The wheel well has damage as well, but I suspect that's part of repairing the quarter panel. Also noticed some very minor damage to the rear light housing. I've seen estimates as low as $2k and some higher than $6k.

Note: Police report has been filed, and I have clips showing the license plate, individual, and the event occurring. The officer saw it and I emailed them everything as requested, so just waiting on follow-up. If a repair for this will take longer than a few weeks it's imperative I go through their insurance to be reimbursed for extended rental costs. Not to mention claiming depreciation and whatnot.

Yeah way longer than a few weeks. Plan for a couple months at least. Especially if it’s a Tesla certified shop. Rear quarter damage sucks. Glad you got the person that did it. Make them pay.
Just got the email from the officer today and the assailant has been issued a hit-and-run and I have acquired insurance information.

Now I’m looking for general cost-of-repair cost estimates. The owner (his employee was driving the vehicle) wants to “avoid going through insurance”, which is absolutely absurd and I am not going to go without a car 1-2 months AND not get properly compensated if my car loses value due to this.

Just got the email from the officer today and the assailant has been issued a hit-and-run and I have acquired insurance information.

Now I’m looking for general cost-of-repair cost estimates. The owner (his employee was driving the vehicle) wants to “avoid going through insurance”, which is absolutely absurd and I am not going to go without a car 1-2 months AND not get properly compensated if my car loses value due to this.

Your best bet is to get quotes in person. Random people online won’t give you an accurate assessment. Tesla certified shop will cost way more money because they go overboard. They will take the rear end of your car completely apart including seats and full interior to get rid of that quarter panel. You want to go through insurance.

Go through insurance. Don’t fall for the “I know a guy who can fix it line…” . Insurance is the way to go . No need for you to deal with the bozos who will likely Have other shenanigans & drama to unleash upon you if you deal directly with them.

This repair is going to be in the thousands and you’ll probably be in a rental car for at least a month. No way in heck I would ever take that kind of risk.

Who cares about how much it will cost? Their insurance will be footing the bill. Any costs that you encounter that aren’t covered by their insurance can be recouped in small claims court since it was a hit and run.
Looks like it’s cosmetic only, you won’t be without a car for months. Bring it to a Tesla certified repair shop and get the estimate and parts ordered. Drive it until the parts come in.
Bring it back and let them fix it once the parts are in.

Who cares about how much it will cost? Their insurance will be footing the bill. Any costs that you encounter that aren’t covered by their insurance can be recouped in small claims court since it was a hit and run.
Looks like it’s cosmetic only, you won’t be without a car for months. Bring it to a Tesla certified repair shop and get the estimate and parts ordered. Drive it until the parts come in.
Bring it back and let them fix it once the parts are in.
It's a month job because they have to disassemble the inside of the car near the back left quarter, cut out the quarter panel, weld in a new quarter panel, paint everything, then reassemble everything, with the extra problem the back left side has HV electrics.

Getting hit on either back quarter is pretty damn awful for cost and time, but the left back quarter is the worst.

Reactions: akidesir
It's a month job because they have to disassemble the inside of the car near the back left quarter, cut out the quarter panel, weld in a new quarter panel, paint everything, then reassemble everything, with the extra problem the back left side has HV electrics.

Getting hit on either back quarter is pretty damn awful for cost and time, but the left back quarter is the worst.

Not to mention, continuing to charge and drive the car when the port was completely shifted seems like a Darwin Award type of plan.

real similar damage and literally got an estimate from the other guys state farm for only 8400. ive already been in a rental for almost a month cause the tesla certified repair shop can only take it in june. which will put me at 4 months in a rental since the charge port wont close properly. think i might need a second opinion. 8400 sounds way too cheap and my ding is a bit worse

real similar damage and literally got an estimate from the other guys state farm for only 8400. ive already been in a rental for almost a month cause the tesla certified repair shop can only take it in june. which will put me at 4 months in a rental since the charge port wont close properly. think i might need a second opinion. 8400 sounds way too cheap and my ding is a bit worse
Did the adjuster give you the price or a body shop? You should be getting more than one quote.

Did the adjuster give you the price or a body shop? You should be getting more than one quote.
i got two quotes. one was from state farm for 8400 and the other was from a tesla approved place and they gave me something in the 7800 range. have to let the repair center know i got the parts that they claimed will take 3 months to get and see if they can take the car in sooner. otherwise, i just grab the check from state farm and take it to the guy who works on my company cars since he laughed and said, i can do this in a week. He's the one who told me what parts to get. Ill try and post up some pics