Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough Ride MYP with Pirelli tires vs ID4 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Have the 2022 MYP with Pirelli tires and I couldn't believe how rough the ride is compare with my VW ID4 AWD Pro S. I've been driving this same route with my ID4 for almost 12 months and never noticed the small road imperfection. But with this Model Y Performance, ride is loud, rough, bumpy and it's like magnifying the all small potholes that I never noticed while driving the ID4.

The ID4 has sweet, smooth ride and just wish that it has more HP like this MYP.

Have anyone tried MYLR 20’’ Induction Wheels on MYP? I am considering buying some and replacing this 21’’ Überturbine Wheels?

I Have the 2022 MYP with Pirelli tires and I couldn't believe how rough the ride is compare with my VW ID4 AWD Pro S. I've been driving this same route with my ID4 for almost 12 months and never noticed the small road imperfection. But with this Model Y Performance, ride is loud, rough, bumpy and it's like magnifying the all small potholes that I never noticed while driving the ID4.

Have anyone tried MYLR 20’’ Induction Wheels on MYP? I am considering buying some and replacing this 21’’ Überturbine Wheels?
this unfortunately is the best you can do with the terrible myp suspension
on 21's..........295x35x21 rear and 275x35x21 front
or
on 19"s.........255x50x19 all around(usually a winter tire setup). The standard is 255x45x19 and does ride a bit better

some will try slight variations with spacers etc....but generally that's the max sidewall that will fit and most shops won't even do the install unless you sign a waiver

Welcome newcomer. ;)Using the search (advanced) function will return dozens+ of useful threads addressing your question. You'll never achieve the ID4 squishy ride, though.

The 2022 MYP is "supposed" to have a better suspension than previous versions. I guess it's still not there yet?

Reactions: comanchepilot
The 2022 MYP is far, far better suspension-wise than the 2021 that I test drove and light-years ahead of the 2020s. However, it's not an ID.4. If OP was looking for something similar to an ID.4, the MYLR would have been a better choice (also improved over the last year) but still wouldn't be as "nice riding" as the ID.4. The LR is more "floaty" but doesn't have great damping. The MYP has pretty good damping, but is quite stiff.

I just swapped my MYP to 19" wheels - see my signature - and the ride is much more "BMW-like" but is most definitely NOT what OP is looking for.

My thoughts before purchase were: I'll either wind up with an MYLR and coil-overs to fix the damping, or I'll wind up with an MYP and either like the ride on the 21s or swap to 19s. The cost between the two - particularly if you look at getting acceleration boost on the LR - is pretty much identical and if you decide to swap the 21s it's not too bad if you can sell the 21s. I really didn't want to be swapping suspension on a new car, too. The kicker: I'm not getting any younger, I'm beginning to chauffeur my 82 year old mom around, and the MYLR actually requires a slight hike *up* to get in; the 1" lower MYP makes a difference. So...I got an MYP.

The 21s were a bit sharp for me (some will like it), and I found I really didn't like the way the dark uberturbines looked on a white car - they look much better on the darker cars. The 19s helped with the sharpness, but didn't get it *quite* to what I want. It's close though! I'm hopeful that my MYP suspension will soften a bit over the first 3,000 miles like my M3LR did' this seems to be what others are seeing. I'm really happy with the silver wheels from T-Sportline.

At some point I'm going to put all my thoughts together and do a long post, but at this point I'm thinking that the best ride would come from an MYLR on 19" wheels with some coil-overs. Yea, I've got a bit of buyer's remorse and I think I'd have been mildly happier if I'd waited for the MYLR and done coil-overs. Whatever. I've still got an awesome car and the value of my M3LR was plummeting; I did OK.

It's unfortunate that Tesla kind of has the MY in a poor spot due to a lack of suspension engineering. The LR with some better damping would be an amazing family car. It's still pretty darn good, don't get me wrong.

Finally - if OP is on the ID.4 forum he'll recognize me from there. After I sold my ID.4 for the M3LR, I put up a long post about why the M3LR is a better car than the ID.4. It drew some interesting commentary! The same holds true for the MY.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and sleepydoc
I did notice some softening at around 10,000 km and then again around 40,000 km but still not going to make anyone happy if they are used to other luxury brands like audi, bmw etc....it's a shame, would be such a homerun car if not for the ride quality. Kind of embarrassing when I have passengers, they all comment on how bumpy it is and more so in the back seat. MYP 2021 btw

The 2022 MYP is far, far better suspension-wise than the 2021 that I test drove and light-years ahead of the 2020s. However, it's not an ID.4. If OP was looking for something similar to an ID.4, the MYLR would have been a better choice (also improved over the last year) but still wouldn't be as "nice riding" as the ID.4. The LR is more "floaty" but doesn't have great damping. The MYP has pretty good damping, but is quite stiff.

I just swapped my MYP to 19" wheels - see my signature - and the ride is much more "BMW-like" but is most definitely NOT what OP is looking for.

My thoughts before purchase were: I'll either wind up with an MYLR and coil-overs to fix the damping, or I'll wind up with an MYP and either like the ride on the 21s or swap to 19s. The cost between the two - particularly if you look at getting acceleration boost on the LR - is pretty much identical and if you decide to swap the 21s it's not too bad if you can sell the 21s. I really didn't want to be swapping suspension on a new car, too. The kicker: I'm not getting any younger, I'm beginning to chauffeur my 82 year old mom around, and the MYLR actually requires a slight hike *up* to get in; the 1" lower MYP makes a difference. So...I got an MYP.

The 21s were a bit sharp for me (some will like it), and I found I really didn't like the way the dark uberturbines looked on a white car - they look much better on the darker cars. The 19s helped with the sharpness, but didn't get it *quite* to what I want. It's close though! I'm hopeful that my MYP suspension will soften a bit over the first 3,000 miles like my M3LR did' this seems to be what others are seeing. I'm really happy with the silver wheels from T-Sportline.

At some point I'm going to put all my thoughts together and do a long post, but at this point I'm thinking that the best ride would come from an MYLR on 19" wheels with some coil-overs. Yea, I've got a bit of buyer's remorse and I think I'd have been mildly happier if I'd waited for the MYLR and done coil-overs. Whatever. I've still got an awesome car and the value of my M3LR was plummeting; I did OK.

It's unfortunate that Tesla kind of has the MY in a poor spot due to a lack of suspension engineering. The LR with some better damping would be an amazing family car. It's still pretty darn good, don't get me wrong.

Finally - if OP is on the ID.4 forum he'll recognize me from there. After I sold my ID.4 for the M3LR, I put up a long post about why the M3LR is a better car than the ID.4. It drew some interesting commentary! The same holds true for the MY.
Thanks for the informative post. The suspension has been one of my biggest criticisms of my MY. I finally bit the bullet and got the Mountain Pass Performance coil overs about a month ago and am happy with the improvement. It's not perfect but it's closer to the ride I had in my A4 - reasonably firm but able to handle bumps without causing spinal cord injuries. Interestingly, my wife who is a 'as long as it has 4 wheels it's fine' type of person instantly noticed and appreciated the improvement.

I'd be interested to see the commentary on the id.4 forum. Are there as many fanboys there as there are here? The amount of tribalism and the number of people who take it as a personal offense if you speak ill of Tesla (or even worse, speak positively of another car!) has always amazed me.

Thanks for the informative post. The suspension has been one of my biggest criticisms of my MY. I finally bit the bullet and got the Mountain Pass Performance coil overs about a month ago and am happy with the improvement. It's not perfect but it's closer to the ride I had in my A4 - reasonably firm but able to handle bumps without causing spinal cord injuries. Interestingly, my wife who is a 'as long as it has 4 wheels it's fine' type of person instantly noticed and appreciated the improvement.

I'd be interested to see the commentary on the id.4 forum. Are there as many fanboys there as there are here? The amount of tribalism and the number of people who take it as a personal offense if you speak ill of Tesla (or even worse, speak positively of another car!) has always amazed me.

It's just as tribal over there. I took quite a few arrows for my post - and was accused of being a Tesla fanboy. Look around for VW ID Talk.I don't know the policy about linking to other forums here but it's generally frowned upon but you can find it. It's actually a wealth of information, and helped me immensely when I bought the ID.4. It's similar to here, just with a smaller ownership base.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I drove both car today just to differentiate the two. Wife and kids are all aboard. All concluded how rough the MYP is compared to ID4. They noticed all small bumps and all potholes. With the ID4 you can feel how wheel independent suspensions conformed with potholes while MYP, you can feel suspensions stiffness.

Contemplating on getting "19" TSV wheel built exclusively for the Tesla Model Y" instead just to dampen MYP.

But for some reason, I always choose to drive the MYP, ;). And wishing all the time that it has the comfiness of ID4.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 4.08.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 4.08.19 PM.png
    470.3 KB · Views: 89
With just under 500 miles on the car, and about 300 miles on the TSTs with 275/45/19 (better curb protection) tires from T-Sportline, I can begin to feel the suspension relax a bit and I'm pretty darn pleased. For Pangitm0, it's not going to get you to ID.4 but it's lightyears ahead of where you're at. Yea, it stung to spend the $ but for what you're looking for it'll get you much of the way there. The wider tires also look good.

Yea, it's a dead horse, but it's worth beating on. Tesla simply has lousy suspension options. You have your choice of super-sharp which is awesome in it's own way (and does fit the "Performance" name), or wallowing around which feels great until it doesn't over rhythmic bumps. Neither one is what I'm looking for in a $70,000 car; we're just trying to figure out how to get there.

If OP was looking for something similar to an ID.4, the MYLR would have been a better choice (also improved over the last year) but still wouldn't be as "nice riding" as the ID.4. The LR is more "floaty" but doesn't have great damping.
The damping on our latest 2022 MY LR (MIC) is actually pretty decent. Ride is still on the firm side, but pretty well damped and certainly not harsh (at least by European standards). I haven't driven the ID.4 but I can well imagine it being a much softer ride at the expense of much more pedestrian handling.

The only time our MY LR gets out of shape is when travelling at warp speed over undulating bumps, but it's still very impressive for a relatively heavy family hauler. It has enough performance and handling for me to have lost interest in owning a more focused sports car alongside.

I haven't driven a MYP, but I'm not a fan of ultra-low profile tyres. I can well imagine the 21" wheels being harsh.

Reactions: HSATD
If you wanted a ride like a 76 Coupe de Ville why did you buy a performance version?? And why cripple the poor thing's suspension by going to tires that are designed for the non-performance version?

I just don't understand this - you buy the performance edition of ANY vehicle and you will see a tight suspension designed for performance, not driving Miss Daisy around . . .

If you wanted a ride like a 76 Coupe de Ville why did you buy a performance version?? And why cripple the poor thing's suspension by going to tires that are designed for the non-performance version?

I just don't understand this - you buy the performance edition of ANY vehicle and you will see a tight suspension designed for performance, not driving Miss Daisy around . . .
There are many people that bought performance models last year because the delivery times were significantly shorter. On paper the suspension should be the same except the wheel diameter. Beyond that, your statement shows you fail to recognize the large area between a 76 Coupe de Ville suspension and the 6th grade go-kart suspension that Tesla uses.

There are many people that bought performance models last year because the delivery times were significantly shorter. On paper the suspension should be the same except the wheel diameter. Beyond that, your statement shows you fail to recognize the large area between a 76 Coupe de Ville suspension and the 6th grade go-kart suspension that Tesla uses.
On what paper?

The fact the Performance is at least 2/3” lower (more in the back if accounting for the bigger tires), then it should be clear at the very least it has shorter and therefore stiffer springs. The dampers “should” also be different, but unlike the springs, with just that much, it doesn’t need to change. Just need someone to verify if they are or aren’t different.

I have an MYP with 19” wheels. However unlike many, I didn’t replace (sell) the original 21” wheel and tire set. The 19” is for work… that’s right, I use a nearly $60k “performance” EV to do short range delivery work. And I will use the 21” set for when I want to have fun (maybe even go to the track again).

Buying it just because of a shorter delivery time seems pretty silly to me, especially with prices so high last year.

On what paper?

The fact the Performance is at least 2/3” lower (more in the back if accounting for the bigger tires), then it should be clear at the very least it has shorter and therefore stiffer springs. The dampers “should” also be different, but unlike the springs, with just that much, it doesn’t need to change. Just need someone to verify if they are or aren’t different.

I have an MYP with 19” wheels. However unlike many, I didn’t replace (sell) the original 21” wheel and tire set. The 19” is for work… that’s right, I use a nearly $60k “performance” EV to do short range delivery work. And I will use the 21” set for when I want to have fun (maybe even go to the track again).

Buying it just because of a shorter delivery time seems pretty silly to me, especially with prices so high last year.
If you look at the web site there is no mention of the suspension at all, just the wheel size, acceleration, etc. Prices were high for everything last year - if you needed a car you were going to be paying through the teeth regardless.

If you look at the web site there is no mention of the suspension at all, just the wheel size, acceleration, etc. Prices were high for everything last year - if you needed a car you were going to be paying through the teeth regardless.
If people were to buy based on ONLY that web page, that's also a terrible idea. Need to do some research, like the owner's manual. There's a link to it here near the bottom.

Or maybe some googling... I mean, you'd want to know as much as possible about the car, right? Granted, some reviews are junk and just repeat what's on the website with nothing substantial, but other reviews do go a little bit more in depth.

I think at least for Model Y LR, Tesla should offer a softer suspension as a standard equipment, with the option of going stiffer. Or offer an air suspension.

I would have taken that softer suspension. I like every other aspect of Model Y for my practical needs but suspension remains kinda unsatisfactory even after 50,000km of driving experience. It doesn't bother me as much as it did initially, but I wish if it was a bit softer.

Most of my friends who buy Model Y are women with zero sports interest. Their other car is usually either Model 3P or S...

Reactions: sleepydoc

Now that you had the MPP for a while, would you have done it again, knowing how it performs?

They are located pretty close to me...