Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so what can we do to improve the ride? As I've mentioned I had air on my previous car and (sadly) the ride was smoother than my brand new P90D with coils. (oops, my bad not buying air again I guess).

Some questions for the forum members:

(1) does the car 'mellow' a bit after a few thousand miles on the coil springs, or is that just wishful thinking?
(2) I have 19" with the standard Goodyear M+S all weather tires. Would switching to Michelan Primacy or other tires make an improvement?
(3) are alternate springs or shocks available to reduce the stiff ride?
(4) something else?

Thanks

I just had a 70 with coils on 19s as a loaner for the day and it felt much smoother than my 19s with air, so I think rough ride can happen on any suspension setup. I've had my car for nearly 10 months and have been struggling with rough ride since day 1. I've brought it to the SC twice now and they claim they cannot feel any roughness. People here have talked about driving several different S's and they all had different suspension characteristics. I am not sure what causes the suspension to differ so greatly from car to car. One thing I've noticed is that my car seems to sit higher than other S's I see on the road. Like an inch higher. I can fit my whole hand in the gap between tire and fender. I wonder if that is contributing to the roughness.

I just had a 70 with coils on 19s as a loaner for the day and it felt much smoother than my 19s with air, so I think rough ride can happen on any suspension setup. I've had my car for nearly 10 months and have been struggling with rough ride since day 1. I've brought it to the SC twice now and they claim they cannot feel any roughness. People here have talked about driving several different S's and they all had different suspension characteristics. I am not sure what causes the suspension to differ so greatly from car to car. One thing I've noticed is that my car seems to sit higher than other S's I see on the road. Like an inch higher. I can fit my whole hand in the gap between tire and fender. I wonder if that is contributing to the roughness.

I have an early p85d the 4th in Canada. I didn't get to test drive that model before purchase. It was punishingly stiff. Dangerously so. I was afraid to hurt people by driving on ordinary roads. I was stopped by police for driving too slowly. They probabIy suspected drunk driving. I don't drink, my back hurt. I previously drove Volvos which are not Cadys but ride well. A friend said it rode like an empty garbage truck and from then on my friends referred to it as the electric garbage truck. I complained at the SC with no results. Which is what the SC does best. They said you had to have that stiffness to handle the HP. I told them a Lambo doesn't ride this bad. I deflated tires which helped a little. I went on a factory tour a few months later. I asked to drive a regular 85. They determined I had a P85D and asked me why. Just for comparison. It rode well and didn't hurt. They asked how I liked my P85D, I said the worst ride I had ever had, my back ached all day after a 10 minute ride to work on roads I had traveled for decades in Volvos without noticing.
Upon my return much to my surprise they called me to replace my suspension at no charge. It took months to accomplish but was a big improvement. I suspect I was not the only one they did this for. Of course they no longer offer a car this stiff. I think they just made a mistake. I am an engineer and had measured G force in preparation for a lawyers letter and found it extraordinarily high as much as 7X compared to other cars. I didn't have to proceed because they fixed it. Never the less I love the car and pickup a replacement P100D tomorrow.

HELP I just took delivery of a 2016 S60D, coils, goodyear M+S 19's. Love it but way it is too stiff. My head continually bounces off of the headrest, my kids think its an amusement ride as they bounce out of the rear seats, and then they get sick. My wife has a back ache and doesn't want to get in it. It seems much rougher than my other Tesla experiences. I come from 15 years of Audi s8 and v8 and never a worry. Lowering the pressure to 40 helped a bit. I wonder if the tires are out of balance but it is smooth under acceleration. I am meeting a service tech on Friday and I need to communicate with them in a way that gets results. Any advice?

How many rough riders are running on goodyear touring 98w m+s? I guess these tires are lined (by tesla?) on the inside with a foam in attempt to quiet the road noise. I am suspect that this may cause tire Balance problems magnified at different speeds and when hitting bumps? The foam would likely expand, contract and deflect at different rates than the tire.

How many rough riders are running on goodyear touring 98w m+s? I guess these tires are lined (by tesla?) on the inside with a foam in attempt to quiet the road noise. I am suspect that this may cause tire Balance problems magnified at different speeds and when hitting bumps? The foam would likely expand, contract and deflect at different rates than the tire.
No problem with my Goodyears.

I just got a 60d with coils. I've don't remember being in a car with a worse suspension. I can watch the hood move up and down constantly on a smooth highway at 65 mph. It's really terrible, to the point that I'm wondering if there's anything I can swap out to fix it. I should have gotten air, which is what I test drove. Sales guy said coils had same ride quality. He must be on Dramamine all the time.

HELP I just took delivery of a 2016 S60D, coils, goodyear M+S 19's. Love it but way it is too stiff. My head continually bounces off of the headrest, my kids think its an amusement ride as they bounce out of the rear seats, and then they get sick. My wife has a back ache and doesn't want to get in it. It seems much rougher than my other Tesla experiences. I come from 15 years of Audi s8 and v8 and never a worry. Lowering the pressure to 40 helped a bit. I wonder if the tires are out of balance but it is smooth under acceleration. I am meeting a service tech on Friday and I need to communicate with them in a way that gets results. Any advice?

Oh, thank god Im not crazy. This is exactly what my car feels like. I have a bulging disc in my neck. It only acts up when I :

(1). Jog
(2). Ski mogels
(3). Drive my new Tesla!

I also noticed that the ride feels decent when accelerating for some reason. Bumps seem to average out better.

• Funny
Reactions: wesley888
It would be good to have some objective measurements of various cars and tires.
Fortunately this is easy using the accelerometers built into most smartphones.
Here's an Android app that measures 3d acceleration
Vibration Meter - Android Apps on Google Play
Put your phone on the floor (center console) and drive.
I'm sure similar apps will be available for iOS. Search for seismograph.

We'll give this a try this weekend as we have one S with coils and another with air suspension.

Reactions: Porfiry
I just got a 60d with coils. I've don't remember being in a car with a worse suspension. I can watch the hood move up and down constantly on a smooth highway at 65 mph. It's really terrible, to the point that I'm wondering if there's anything I can swap out to fix it. I should have gotten air, which is what I test drove. Sales guy said coils had same ride quality. He must be on Dramamine all the time.
I don't think it's an air-vs-coils issue. If you read all the threads on rough ride here, you'll see that folks with both suffer from it. My 85D with air is really rough. A brand new 70 loaner I had recently with coils drove like a dream compared to mine. A 90D loaner with air was somewhere in between.

I don't think it's an air-vs-coils issue. If you read all the threads on rough ride here, you'll see that folks with both suffer from it. My 85D with air is really rough. A brand new 70 loaner I had recently with coils drove like a dream compared to mine. A 90D loaner with air was somewhere in between.
I've put 2000 miles on my coil suspension so far. On some roads, it's smooth as butter and feels like I'm hovering over the road. On other roads, it's like I'm going down a washboard road and if I try talking, it sounds like someone is repeatedly covering/uncovering my mouth.

I've put 2000 miles on my coil suspension so far. On some roads, it's smooth as butter and feels like I'm hovering over the road. On other roads, it's like I'm going down a washboard road and if I try talking, it sounds like someone is repeatedly covering/uncovering my mouth.
Yep. It's a level of roughness I've never experienced in a car before.
- Resting head on headrest feels like I'm repeatedly getting punched in the back of the head.
- Watching my passengers literally bounce out of their seats.
- Going over railroad tracks feels like the car is going to fall apart.
- Can't have a conversation without repeatedly being interrupted because my diaphragm is being jolted.
- Tensing up when I'm about to run over a manhole cover because I know it's going to be a hard bounce.

One thing that is odd though is that every once in awhile all the roughness goes away and the car drives well and I get a glimpse of how it should be performing.

Great idea. I will try this when I get back to my car on Monday. Will test against my wife's X5 and a couple of other Tesla's (air and coil) will post results.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Yep. It's a level of roughness I've never experienced in a car before.
- Resting head on headrest feels like I'm repeatedly getting punched in the back of the head.
- Watching my passengers literally bounce out of their seats.
- Going over railroad tracks feels like the car is going to fall apart.
- Can't have a conversation without repeatedly being interrupted because my diaphragm is being jolted.
- Tensing up when I'm about to run over a manhole cover because I know it's going to be a hard bounce.

One thing that is odd though is that every once in awhile all the roughness goes away and the car drives well and I get a glimpse of how it should be performing.

The suspension you got is not the suspension I got. This is more than subjective.