Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rough ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rough ride is in the butt of the beholder. To me, the Tesla feels like a well-tuned sports suspension, like in a Mercedes sports car. Some people believe this is too stiff, and want a softer ride (get a Cadillac!). I like it.

That said, I can imagine a possible new feature, where the adjustable suspension could give you a sport mode and comfort mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: JetKit
Rough ride is in the butt of the beholder. To me, the Tesla feels like a well-tuned sports suspension, like in a Mercedes sports car. Some people believe this is too stiff, and want a softer ride (get a Cadillac!). I like it.

That said, I can imagine a possible new feature, where the adjustable suspension could give you a sport mode and comfort mode.

That's because the 90D has a nice soft cushy ride.

• Funny
Reactions: theslimshadyist

How about a "Buick land yacht" mode?

That's because the 90D has a nice soft cushy ride.
Is there a significant difference in the ride between different Model S (70, 85, 60D, 90D etc.) assuming same suspension (adjustable or not) and tires/tire pressures? The 90D doesn't feel that soft & cushy to me (maybe it's my butt that's soft & cushy). I know what a hard ride is - I drove a 3/4 ton HD pickup for years. Now that's a stiff ride.

BTW, the reason for the high tire pressures is for range.The harder the tires, the lower the rolling resistance.

Is there a significant difference in the ride between different Model S (70, 85, 60D, 90D etc.) assuming same suspension (adjustable or not) and tires/tire pressures? The 90D doesn't feel that soft & cushy to me (maybe it's my butt that's soft & cushy). I know what a hard ride is - I drove a 3/4 ton HD pickup for years. Now that's a stiff ride.

BTW, the reason for the high tire pressures is for range.The harder the tires, the lower the rolling resistance.

That's a complicated question and depends on not just the model but when it was produced. For instance, the 90D and P90D both currently have the same suspension. Firm and complaint. Nice for street driving. The P85D before April of last year was go cart stiff to the point that it can't conform over minor road irregularities causing it to lose tracking on hard cornering when hitting small bumps.

How old is your MS? Do you have air suspension? I had a rough ride in my MS with air suspension and 19s for the first couple months, but in the past couple weeks, it has really mellowed out. I have no idea why. Could be tires breaking in, or suspension components loosening up. I thought maybe the warmer weather here in Pacific NW could be a factor, but we're back to cold again and it still rides well.

Also, I played around with tire pressure a lot to see if I could smooth out the rough ride I was having. It seemed to me that anything below 45psi would actually worsen the ride. Bumps seemed more violent and overall the ride was more bouncy, if that makes any sense. I think the suspension is really tuned for very low sidewall flex, which explains why the 21s with nil rubber ride surprisingly smooth.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The suspension on my coil car is definitely firm. It is slightly firmer than my previous BMW on run flats, but the handling is remarkable for a car of its size. While firm, it is very well controlled( more important to me) and not a comfort problem.

How old is your MS? Do you have air suspension? I had a rough ride in my MS with air suspension and 19s for the first couple months, but in the past couple weeks, it has really mellowed out. I have no idea why. Could be tires breaking in, or suspension components loosening up. I thought maybe the warmer weather here in Pacific NW could be a factor, but we're back to cold again and it still rides well.

Also, I played around with tire pressure a lot to see if I could smooth out the rough ride I was having. It seemed to me that anything below 45psi would actually worsen the ride. Bumps seemed more violent and overall the ride was more bouncy, if that makes any sense. I think the suspension is really tuned for very low sidewall flex, which explains why the 21s with nil rubber ride surprisingly smooth.

My new S 90D with standard 19s and coils has a much rougher ride than my 2012 S85 with 21" and air. Wow, what a difference! I am disappointed I didn't get air again, but I test drove coils/19" and it did not feel so stiff/harsh.

I checked tire pressures (48-49 psi) and lowering them to 44 helpd a bit. This is with standard Goodyear M+S 19" tires. I wonder if changing tires give a noticeably better ride? I had Primacy MXM 19s as my winter tires on my 2012 and they were very quiet and good riding (with air susp). The 21 contiSilents were also very quiet and smooth.

Any suggestion no for taming my 19"/coils for a smoother ride?