Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round Australia List! (put your name down if keen / serious)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was excited when, at the TOCA Bowral meetup, about a dozen people put their hands up when asked if they were seriously thinking of driving their Tesla round Australia. Gaps in the charging route seemed to be the only real obstacle.

Aust Map.png

Now there is serious momentum for creating a full Round Australia Route to 3 phase standard (5 pin, Tesla or Type 2). AEVA nationally and TOCA are considering a joint effort, AEVA WA has already said yes and the irrepressible @Blue heaven and @Techno-phile are really going for it.

The route is already over 75% complete, and we are working hard to initially achieve 400km max spacing (300 average) right round, later hopefully filling in to 300 max (200 avg).

If you are keen to drive your Electric Vehicle around Australia, this is the list you need to add yourself to ...
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScnfZWwponplCqTwHU9Cjxndshd0FsgufaGvrB9920YdCTQEQ/viewform
Round Australia List

The purpose of the List is:

(1) To encourage property owners to install 3 phase charging points (5 pin, Tesla or Type 2) around Australia by demonstrating that there are real people wanting to drive their EV's round Australia.

(2) To energise and occasionally disseminate information to those keen to drive round Australia.

So if you are a possible, likely or definite for taking your Tesla round Australia in the next 5 years or so, put your name down and help make it real !

I'll start off by stating I am a definite over 5 years, likely within 5 years, a possible within 3 years and unlikely in one year.

It would be beneficial if when you put your name down you could state whether you are each possible, likely, definite and unlikely for the periods over 5, 5, 3 and 1 year durations.

So I would presume strykeroz is only a likely over 5 years??

Richard, I asked you a few questions on FB about this, but I have a few more :)

In Tassie, one of the local Tesla owners (and owner of an electrical business) is making the standard install "One destination charger + one 15A socket". It made me think, seeing as Tesla provide destination chargers for free, why not install them instead of 3-phase - or more to the point, why is our local guy installing destination chargers?

I came up with the following reasons for choosing one over the other:

Benefits of 3-phase socket:
  • Cheap, commonly available hardware
  • Does not require approval from Tesla
  • Can serve as general purpose outlets
  • A socket is less prone to failure or vandalism than a cable
  • A socket is easier to replace by any qualified electrician
Benefits of destination charger:
  • Free hardware
  • Does not require an adaptor (for Teslas)
  • Appears on Tesla website/in car map
Equal:
  • Both can charge a non-Tesla vehicle with an adaptor
  • Both can charge a Tesla at max AC rate (16-22kW depending on the vehicle)
  • Neither allow the site owner to meter usage
Have I missed anything?

In Tassie, one of the local Tesla owners (and owner of an electrical business) is making the standard install "One destination charger + one 15A socket". It made me think, seeing as Tesla provide destination chargers for free, why not install them instead of 3-phase - or more to the point, why is our local guy installing destination chargers?

• Free hardware
Equal:
Have I missed anything?
Yes just one thing @Chuq .

Tesla are definitely putting these destination chargers in for the use of Teslas. I spoke to Tesla's destination charging manager some months ago and he had not heard of non-teslas charging with adapters at destination chargers in Aust, but said that if it happened too much they would put in a hardware solution to the problem.

In the last few weeks it does appear according to Tim that Tesla are introducing "non-universal" destination chargers with 03G serial numbers that will only charge Teslas.

The WA guys are starting to promote either 3 phase with Dest Ch (see Cable Beach Broome) or 3 phase with DestC plugged in (see Geraldton), which seems the solid solution.

• Free hardware
Equal:
Have I missed anything?
I'm not that good with FB. Where are the questions?

Dream trip for me. What time of year is best and what is the estimated time needed?

As far as Northern Australia, that is Carnarvon in the West across to North QLD it breaks down to:

Dry season, late April to early October- dry days, clear skies, cool nights although not too cold, downside is the endless convoy of RVs and caravans can make certain roads very busy, tourist parks and accommodation is generally busy in turn the service sometimes suffer.
Wet season, late October to mid April- very few tourists so roads are near empty except the heavy transport and the odd hardy traveller, accommodation is easier to get without pre-booking, spectacular sunsets, sometimes waterfalls, generally nature is a bit more exciting, the downsides are possible cyclones, flooded roads, when there's no cloud cover the heat is blistering, when there is cloud cover the humidity is high, insects can be a big concern.

My preference is dry season, boring but safer.

Yes just one thing @Chuq .

Tesla are definitely putting these destination chargers in for the use of Teslas. I spoke to Tesla's destination charging manager some months ago and he had not heard of non-teslas charging with adapters at destination chargers in Aust, but said that if it happened too much they would put in a hardware solution to the problem.

That's a pain. I know they are intended for Teslas. I thought by making cables with Mennekes plugs and cars with Mennekes sockets, using the Mennekes standard, it was implied that they were OK to charge other cars with the relevant adaptors if the owner of the site was OK with it. (e.g. someone owns both a Model S and a Leaf, only needs the HPWC at home - or a Tesla owner can charge a visitors Leaf).

Our local Tesla owner who installs the dest chargers puts in two chargers. He usually installs 1x HPWC and 1x 15A socket. Thanks to the existence of the adaptor, he could install 2x HPWCs instead. Personally as a Leaf owner I can charge the same speed from either. But a Tesla owner who rocked up and finds the HPWC already taken by a Tesla would surely prefer having a 2nd HPWC instead of a 15A socket?

I only know a couple of other people with these adaptors but they do exist and they do work. I don't have one myself yet.

I'm not that good with FB. Where are the questions?

it's OK, you already answered them. I was the Leaf owner (Charles) who asked the question about the 15A sockets at camping grounds!

[Edit: Going off topic sorry - feel free to reply in a different thread if you want to continue this discussion!]

@Chuq I certainly hope the universal HPWC is still being made. I certainly would want to be able to charge my Dad's new plug in hybrid at my place as it is my charger and my power !

Greg from AEVA in Sydney has his portable Chademo going now for his leaf with 3ph plug on it ! Hopefully that will get him to Tassie in Nov. I hope to go to Tassie too so maybe we'll catch up @Chuq / Charles !

Reactions: Chuq
As far as Northern Australia, that is Carnarvon in the West across to North QLD it breaks down to:

Dry season, late April to early October- dry days, clear skies, cool nights although not too cold, downside is the endless convoy of RVs and caravans can make certain roads very busy, tourist parks and accommodation is generally busy in turn the service sometimes suffer.
Wet season, late October to mid April- very few tourists so roads are near empty except the heavy transport and the odd hardy traveller, accommodation is easier to get without pre-booking, spectacular sunsets, sometimes waterfalls, generally nature is a bit more exciting, the downsides are possible cyclones, flooded roads, when there's no cloud cover the heat is blistering, when there is cloud cover the humidity is high, insects can be a big concern.

My preference is dry season, boring but safer.

Dream trip for me. What time of year is best and what is the estimated time needed?
@Blue heaven has spent more time up north than me so would agree. I left Sydney in mid August heading north which was good as it was still not too hot up north, and by the time we were heading south again we were getting better day length.
It took us 8 weeks which was 6 weeks of actual driving time + stopping for 2 nights in a few places + a week in Perth (work).
You could do better if you pushed it, especially if there is more 3 phase around, but driving after dark (stock and wildlife) is really unadvisable over 90% of the route.

• Helpful
Reactions: LimoX