TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Round Australia List! (put your name down if keen / serious)

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by RichardMcN, Feb 18, 2017.

1. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Thanks @meloccom !

2. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Yes certainly will! For me it will almost as much of an adventure - a 300km trip in a vehicle which gets 100km to a charge when travelling at 80km/h, takes 5 hours to charge, and has only 15A power points in between :)

In fact ... perhaps you would like to do a presentation on your trip and experiences, and promote this list at the same time? :)

3. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

You will REALLY appreciate your Model 3 when it comes @Chuq !

More than delighted ! Tessie loves the limelight. Where do I sign up?

4. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Hooray the there are now 35 people on the

Round Australia List

More than half the people down for 2017 and 2018 are from WA !

5. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Well they are already halfway round:)

• Funny x 1
  6. ChrsiH314

ChrsiH314 Member

This looks absolutely fabulous, and would love to do it ... need to talk the missus in to it. To that end, a few more details would be useful. For instance, while I'd love to do it, I wouldn't be so keen on a marathon driving effort, trying to do a minimum 700 km/day and get it done in 3 weeks. On the other hand, taking a whole year to do it might well not be possible. Would you be thinking of inflexible groups, i.e. Sydney today, everyone has to get to Heatherbrae on day x etc. I might like to spend a few days here and there. Would you be thinking of a staggered drive, because you can't charge 10 cars up at one destination charger in one day? Or is it a loosely affiliated group, with a list of chargers/destinations and everyone pretty much does their own thing? Something worth considering is, people in the group might have properties with a charger they are willing to throw into the ring for consideration.

7. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Pretty much everyone doing their own thing @ChrsiH314 . The main point of the list is to prove to property owners that there are people interested !

• Like x 1
  8. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

It would be possible for a two car convoy with a bit of staggered charging across the top end when a location only has one 3 phase outlet available, the trip could be done in 5 weeks but you won't get to do much sightseeing, if you've already done the Melbourne to Brisbane tourist attractions an 8 to 12 week trip for the rest of Oz would work well, depends on how long you can handle living out of a Frunk.

9. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

It seems I am nearly unique in not being Australian, although I am Antipodean, if that helps. I made Sydney-Perth back in 1976, and always have wanted to make Round Australia. Now that it can be done with a Tesla I am going to do it, one way or another, next year I hope. I will need to find a Tesla in which to make the trip. I'm thinking about buying a used one in which to make the trip and selling it once the trip is finished or trying to hire a car for the trip. What alternative ways to obtain a Tesla fro the trip I do not do, but I am determined to make the trip next dry season, if possible. I'm planning to need about six weeks for the trip, more or less. Clearly I plan to drive more than sightsee.

I have made a handful of epic trips with ICE, Paris-Tehran being most challenging among them, but Round Australia via Tesla is the stuff of fantasy for me since I first acquired a Model S. Meeting with Ray Newman at TMC Connect has simply fed my imagination.

• Like x 1
  10. ChrsiH314

ChrsiH314 Member

Ok, fair enough ... so, at the end of the process, will we have anything other than a list? For example, a mapped out plan where people can get around with the 300km gap between chargers or something?

11. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

That's being worked on at the moment so drivers have a bit more surety when they get to a location.

12. ChrsiH314

ChrsiH314 Member

No worries. Will look forward to developments then. My preference would be to go in a small group of cars rather than just having a known set of destination chargers & doing it all by myself.

13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

One of the ironies of EVs is that it's hard to do things as a group. The advantage of EVs is distributing access to power, but that also the disadvantage.
    Even a bank of 8 superchargers can be over-run by a rally, let alone a few destination chargers.

14. ChrsiH314

ChrsiH314 Member

A small group would be fine ... 3 cars should be manageable

15. LimoX

LimoX Member

I may be naive, But Why won't Tesla allow other vehicle types to use Tesla destination / Superchargers if said vehicle had the correct onboard hardware and adaptors? No "free" Charging of course, all non-Tesla cars can enjoy the benefit of the Network, but at a price.

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Because Tesla subsidizes the installation cost of the destination charger.

17. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Yes cost for charging, just like all new Tesla drivers, goes without saying. But the real price would need to be paid by each participating EV manufacturer to become part of the Tesla charging alliance.

The Tesla charge infrastructure represents a huge investment & it's unregulated use would equate directly to sales of other EVs. Despite Tesla's open source attitude to competing EV's, this would not work successfully. With increasing numbers of S, X & especially 3's on the road, overcrowding & queuing is not in anyone's interest. Of course if other manufacturers participate, their investment would contribute to expanding the network, avoiding or at least reducing those issues with overdensity as EV sales eventually surpass those of ICE vehicles.

18. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Our local shopping centre (Carindale Westfield) has four J1772 adapters provided by BMW. Usually all that charge there are Tesla.
    I don't see the point in limiting adapters to the installer/sponsor.

• Like x 1
  19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

There's no financial incentive to allow competitors to use something you've paid for.
    Every charge point is precious, and I can understand wanting to reserve them for one's own customers.

20. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

The incentive (which I was trying to point out above) is I use BMW provided adapters and there is a BMW provided CHAdeMO in Brisbane as well. Therefore Tesla adapters should be available to the BMW drivers here. Westfield Carindale adapters are provided by BMW and Logan Hyperdome adapters are provided by Tesla. Why not share?