Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round Trip From Fresno SuperCharger to Sequoia National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my energy-saving checklist, in case it helps:
  • smart preconditioning off
  • energy saving on
  • always connected off
  • set to radio station, no usb
  • disable door handle present
  • remove fob battery, or store fob in a mylar bag
Thanks. You have a couple of unique (at least to me) ideas. I was wondering about the fob suggestion. I see you say it is to prevent the car from waking. But I normally take the fob with me when I exit the car. The lodge (our room) will be a ways from the car, so I don't expect that will be an issue.

I think I'll be fine, but I do have a bit of range anxiety this being the first trip away from home in the car and no guaranteed charging in the area. I'll probably set the maximum cruise speed to 55 from Fresno to keep a few extra electrons in the battery. I'll also bring a 25' and 50' extension cord. I think 12/3 (12 gauge 3 wire) cord should work for the typical 125V 15 amp wall outlets. Or does anyone think I should spring for a 10 gauge cord?

Last edited:
FYI, I just made a 3 day trip to King's Canyon.

I maxed my charge at the Fresno SC. As far as I can find, only Level 1 (120 Volt) charging is available in King's Canyon/Sequoia. That was enough for me. I got there with about 170 RM left. I was getting about 4 miles/hour on my charging. Overnight that would get me about 50 miles of additional range.

I did find that even at a 90% charge my regen was limited. I guess due to the temperature, which was down to freezing at night and around 50-60 in the day. Although I was charging all night, which I thought would keep the battery warm.

My last day my tire pressure reported as too low. Again, I guess due to the cold. But other days that did not happen. Anyway, by the time I reached the bottom of the mountain my tires were back up to normal pressure.

I do suggest bringing a 12 gauge extension cord in case your 120V outlet is a bit too far. In my particular case the 25 foot cord was fine.

Last edited:
In late August, I left Fresno Supercharger to go visit General Sherman (Greatest Grand-daddy of all Sequoias) in the Sequoia Forest..

On my return trip, I noticed that the mileage back (72 miles) was greater than remaining amount in my pack (66 miles).
And because I was at about 7,000 ft. Elevation, and going downhill, the mileage started going up.
Seriously up, 3 miles at a clip.

And the kW/Mi was going opposite 39, 15, 5, minus 15, minus 34, minus 78, minus 123, minus 139, minus 160 (briefly).
Mileage increased all the way up to 84 miles of range.
Thank you Regen!!!
It was night time (late dusk to pitch black darkness), I did have A/C turned off, radio on.
In the mountains, lots of big trees and rocks, clear night, on curving roads, I was driving conservative speeds depending on number of visible curves and other vehicles in the immediate vicinity.

By the time I returned back to Fresno Superchargers, I still had 53 rated miles in my pack.

Factory tour in Fremont during the morning, visit to General Sherman while still day light.
What a day!

• Love
Reactions: Viking1
@Drekar where were you charging, if you can say?
Grant Grove Village.

At an old abandoned gas station they have 2 plugs, 120V. I thought that was a nice twist. I heard from an employee there that Tesla has been asking about setting up a super charger. That would be great and Grant Grove is centered well and close to highway 180/198. It would even be nice if they just got a destination charger or two.

Last edited:
We go up to Wuksachi quite often on a Saturday morning from Fresno for a quick get-away breakfast and it is not a problem. We usually start out at 95ish percent and get home with 50-60 miles left even if we go past the hotel to Beetle Rock area.

As others have said, regen is amazing on the way back down - usually add at least 25 rated miles or so on the way back down over at least that distance.

As others have said, regen is amazing on the way back down - usually add at least 25 rated miles or so on the way back down over at least that distance.
I saw the same. Even with regen limited. We took some day trips to Big Stump and Cedar Grove, so I would be nervous without the ability to charge. I figured worse case is I would need to drive back to Fresno for a new charge.

Grant Grove Village.

At an old abandoned gas station they have 2 plugs, 120V. I thought that was a nice twist. I heard from an employee there that Tesla has been asking about setting up a super charger. That would be great and Grant Grove is centered well and close to highway 180/198. It would even be nice if they just got a destination charger or two.

Thanks.

Yes, any kind of charging stations would be great to have inside the parks. I suspect the person you talked to was confusing superchargers and destination chargers: it happens.