Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round trip from Seattle to Mt. Rainier - doable in X 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
evtripplanner seems to indicate it is easy, but for some reason, there is only a MX P90D option. It estimates a total of
65.7 kWh for the P90D, which should have worse efficiency than your X 75D. If you fall short after arriving in Paradise, the only downside was be going a little out of the way to the Centralia SC, which is no big deal. I would absolutely go for it!

I was pleased to see that my S 60 (non-D), now upgraded to a 75, can easily make the round trip, while it is marginal with a 60.

Model S loses something like 7 miles range per 1000' vertical, so Paradise is something like 5400', thus something like ~40 miles lost range, and you get back up to 60% going back downhill. I don't know the number for MX; perhaps 10 miles/1000' vertical??

Detouring to the Centralia supercharger is not a very good option for a day trip. It would add at least an hour, and probably more like 2 hours when you factor in the charging time and potential traffic.

From a practical standpoint, I would probably just watch my speed (just go the speed limit but not over), not use the heat too much (shouldn't need to anyway this time of year), and be careful to go the most direct route with the least mileage and not make any wrong turns. You will probably be fine, but just in case you should have a backup plan of a Chademo, you might stop at on the way back. Even if you don't have a Chademo, stopping at one of the many FREE level 2 chargers for an hour should be enough to get you in the clear, and honestly if you follow the above advice, I doubt that will be necessary.

And yeah don't freak out if you use slightly more than half your battery on the way up, as you will get great mileage as you drop back to sea level on the way home.

Like I said, it should be easy to do with no charge along the way. Centralia would only be a backup if the estimate for the way up turned out to be way off base. Soon there will be other SCs south of Seattle, which will eliminate all these concerns. Olympia is supposedly on the way, but no reports that I've seen of a groundbreaking yet.

Last year I went up to Paradise with my son. We spent the night at Alexander's and charged. They have two Tesla chargers but only 30A each I think.

On the way up you will eat charge. On the way down you will generate energy (I think I was +5% from top to bottom).

I have a 75, and so you have a bit more buffer than I did. But either way, plan to stop at Alexander's for lunch or something.

Also, just so you know, if you don't get to Paradise on the early side there will be no where to park