Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roundabouts and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few simple questions to those who have had a Tesla for a while:

My thoughts:
I'm doubtful speed limit sign recognition will become available in AP2+ until Dec 2020 at earliest, variable ones 2021+
Auto-slowing AP to a stop for lines/give-ways likely during Q2 2020 provided neural net training goes well, in US at least.
TACC adhering to speed limit change in UK will depend on UN/EU harmonisation legislation, like a lot of things, potentially never.

SpeedAssist in the UK is currently fed from TomTom (the cheapest) data, which is always years out of date and from my own reports to them all user reports of speed limit updates are totally ignored (oldest I've seen unfixed is 7 years ago). Not only that, but it currently limits auto lane-change on dual carriageways due to outdated metadata.

I would also like to see TACC slow for an upcoming lower speed limit before the sign is passed. Similarly, for TACC to anticipate an upcoming higher speed sign and to begin acceleration in time with passing the sign, not several hundred metres afterward - frustrating the driver behind if I don't floor it :)

Reactions: aerowave
Yes, especially as in the UK there seems to be lots of speeds cameras placed conveniently just after a 30MPH sign!
Seriously, I just got caught by one as I came off a roundabout. Roundabout 20metres speed sign 20 metres then camera. Just when you could do with some help from the car!

Last edited:
So I test each software update release on a roundabout near me. Over the last year it has improved. More recently when I was able to enter roundabout at 10mph on autopilot. That adjustment was able to let the car think I guess. Coming in at 18mph was a little crazy. Car used to say take over right at the first turn off. Now it can go about half way. Car just has no reason to leave the roundabout without input from the driver. Still a work in progress with current drivable form. Who knows what they are doing in shadow form.

Of course I test it in the wee hours. Without traffic, and in a very rural area. Negotiating the yield aspect of roundabouts. That sounds like a big job.

Negotiating the yield aspect of roundabouts.

.... as well as negotiating the errrr... roundabout aspect of roundabouts....

Just try defining / specifying what a roundabout is. Not at all easy, especially as they range from being a conceptual way of navigating a crossroads up to a quarter mile or more road layout encompassing multiple sub-junctions and mini roundabouts.

I would say we have the biggest roundabout in the world in Cali.

upload_2020-1-28_5-12-3.png

Do drivers on the Grand Blvd have priority at every junction? If not it’s just a series of short roads that happen to form a circle! That’s a bit untrue because some roundabouts in the UK have ‘give ways’ (yields) on the way round - but they are very much the exception. Not many have roads inside them either - although some have routes straight across for main road through traffic.

The ability for the car to interpret speed signs would be nice - and even better if it could respond to the overhead electronic signs on motorway gantries (at least speed limit changes, but things like lane closures could be useful to handle too).

Actually, go further and have it understand other common road signs as well. At the moment it seems to often think those "keep left" bollard things are fancy traffic cones, for example.

And regarding speed limit changes and roundabouts: I hate it when they put speed limit changes as you enter a roundabout. I'm aware this happens so I look out for it now but when you're already dealing with getting into the correct lane and judging the roundabout situation as you approach, chucking a speed limit change into the mix at that moment does nobody any favours!

I haven't got FSD but considering how reliable most of the autopilot features are at the moment i would guess roundabouts are a long way off!

Hey, I used Autopilot to go around a USA roundabout once. ;-)
However, edge usage, out of specification, and there wasn't any traffic that I had to yield to.
And the roundabout layout was very simple, as they tend to be over here.

Having driven a lot in the UK, I'd agree that roundabout support is needed and it will be difficult to implement.
But once Tesla get 4-ways stops and traffic lights handled, they need to extrapolate and extend that support to UK-style roundabouts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gatsojon
From reading the above, does anyone's car on TACC or Autopilot adjust it's speed when the limit changes?

Mine doesn't and would happily plough into a 30 at 60.

The only time it has is when it was on autopilot exiting a motorway then it slowed down for the roundabout (at the lovely Grantham services).

Model S Perf Raven 2019, FSD.