Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roundabouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much more common in Europe, Australia, etc. :

334_roundabout1.jpg

Roundabouts Ireland

180px-UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

Last edited:
Several roundabouts have been put in around the Seattle area. Most people are happy with them; I myself like them much better than the traditional multi-way stop intersections. Reports I've read about them indicate that traffic accident rates are lower than the stop intersections that they've replaced.

I love roundabouts. Well in a strictly platonic sense of course.... :)

They are the hardest part to learn during our extensive drivers ed, but except for that they're wonderfull. They increase traffic flow, reduce emmisions and creates a much more dynamic traffic.
The pet peave I have with them is that I hate it when people don't use their indicator lights when leaving one...

Cobos

Drove my first one (in the US) in the Lake Tahoe area in California just the other day. It was unique enough that the group in the car talked about it for several miles after.

They are cool.

Last edited:
Then there is the "Counterflow Roundabout!"
swindonRAB.jpg

Oh joy!

I am sure the Swindon one didn't always have grass in the middle - it was even more confusing with just tarmac/asphalt and paint! It's been a while since I went across it though.

There are also two other similar examples I know of - one in Hemel Hempstead and another within the Heathrow Airport perimeter. Imagine landing in the UK, picking up your rental car, drive on the left and having to tackle that within a couple of minutes...

Then there is Milton Keynes - a town almost famous for nothing but roundabouts :smile:

jurys-inn-map-1.jpg

Thanks for splitting this topic, Doug.

'Roundabout' was my of my favorite songs as a kid in the '70s.

Could be a theme song for those Roadster owners who make a daily commute from up over the Santa Cruz mountains to Silicon Valley: "Call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley……"

I Thought it was a Language Difference

We call those things traffic circles in the states. Many older small towns have them in the center, if they didn't put the courthouse or city hall there. Belleville, IL has a fountain in the center of town.

Belleville, IL - Google Maps

Savannah, Georgia is famous for them.

Savannah, Chatham, Georgia, United States - Google Maps

When we moved to England in the '60s I already knew about them. The only difference was that the English call them "roundabouts".

I still do a mental double-take when I hear "Zebra Crossings", though.

Last edited:
Durning this whole thread I never thought aboput the big ones at all. To me a different animal.

I grew up near the Orange Circle in Orange CA.
orange, ca chapman n glassell - Google Maps
This one has a Park in the Center. A lot of "small town" movies and TV shows film there.

I always thought of this big one as two individual right turns. There is a different driving thought process when they are this big. You can kind of relax for a moment as you get into it. the small ones require the driver to be much more aware.

Last edited: