Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route 66 Road Trip - Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you plan to drive as much of the original route that still exists; that is the original route as completed ~1926 or so (if my memory serves.) I believe that the original route was shortened sometime in the '30s in selected places. I know for sure that Oatman, Arizona was on the original alignment, but was bypassed several years later for a more direct and straighter route from Kingman to Needles. I also think that there were some changes around the Missouri-Kansas-Oklahoma alignment too, but I would have to research it.

The routing in California near Pasadena also changed a few times over the years as freeways were constructed. I think the original terminus was in downtown Los Angeles, but was extended to the Sta. Monica pier in the '40s.

Enjoy the journey!

I wanna do it based on the song by Depeche Mode (and I think some others have covered it):
Well it winds from Chicago
To LA
More than two thousand miles
All the way
Get your kicks on Route 66

Well it goes to St. Louis
Down to Missouri
Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino​
This would make such an obvious Tesla road trip, except of course for one small detail:

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 4.28.34 PM.png

Every other station is there, Joplin MO is the next stop according to some lyrics, all the way to Santa Monica Place Supercharger in LA.

-Randy

Last edited:
based on the song by Depeche Mode
Seriously. You're just inviting someone to call you a Millennial.
Uh, Bobby Troupe wrote and recorded that song around 1948. Likely the most famous version (and my personal favorite) was by Nat King Cole a few years later.

It irks me to even think of Depeche Mode covering that.

• Funny
Reactions: copyhacker and cpa
Every other station is there, Joplin MO is the next stop according to some lyrics, all the way to Santa Monica Place Supercharger in LA.
I did happen to cover a lot of Route 66 on the return journey of my big 5,000+ mile road trip in 2018. I started in Boise, went down to through Utah to I-70 and then took I-70 all the way across to Dayton, Ohio and then briefly up to Toledo and Monroe, MI. On the way back, when I got to St. Louis, I then took the southern route on I-44 to Oklahoma City and then I-40 along through Texas/New Mexico and then up through Four Corners and Utah to get back home. A lot of the stops had Route 66 attractions.

At the Supercharger in Santa Rosa, NM, a few blocks away there is a Route 66 classic car museum that is really impressive.

It irks me to even think of Depeche Mode covering that.

Meh. The kids aren’t playing on your lawn, they’re playing down in the park like they’re supposed to.

Whether you like them or not, whether you know them or not (personally they’re not my cup of tea) Depeche Mode is massive name in music and have been in the game since the 80s...maybe the late 70’s? Like most successful artists, covering anything—let alone a classic—it’s a form of extreme admiration and flattery and an attempt to not let the original artist be lost, and I’m sure the liner in the Depeche Mode album reflects that.

Hell, covering songs has been around for millennia. It’s one of humankind’s oldest social behaviors. Lighten up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Meh. The kids aren’t playing on your lawn, they’re playing down in the park like they’re supposed to.

Whether you like them or not, whether you know them or not (personally they’re not my cup of tea) Depeche Mode is massive name in music and have been in the game since the 80s...maybe the late 70’s?
HA HA HA HA! Wow, missed the point I guess. Maybe I wasn't clear. I really love Depeche Mode. I am a child of the 80's and grew up listening to them a lot.

Like most successful artists, covering anything—let alone a classic—it’s a form of extreme admiration and flattery and an attempt to not let the original artist be lost, and I’m sure the liner in the Depeche Mode album reflects that.

Hell, covering songs has been around for millennia. It’s one of humankind’s oldest social behaviors. Lighten up.
My point was that it's a very different style of song that is suited to a lounge singer's style or Big Band. (Sinatra does seem like a good fit.) It seems very unsuited to Depeche Mode's style of techno-pop, and I could only see it being very awkward and unnatural for them to do it.

Seriously. You're just inviting someone to call you a Millennial.
Yeah, I was trying to be funny, I am far from a millennial. But it would be hard to have lived thru the 90's w/o knowing who Depeche Mode was.

And I bought the EP of Behind the Wheel/Route 66 when it came out and listened to it a bunch. Really excited about the St. Louis SuC opening so I can do it for reals.

-Randy

Really excited about the St. Louis SuC opening so I can do it for reals.
it's missing St. Louis, not going to do the run until that SuC opens.
I'm confused. Why do you think St. Louis doesn't have a Supercharger yet? The St. Charles one is the St. Louis Supercharger. It's been there for quite a while, and I used it on my trip last year.

And the "St. Louis--south suburb" one is Mehlville.

There are LOTS of them "around" St. Louis, but I am one Supercharger away from all the cities in the song 'along the way' having named Superchargers, though technically, as I posted elsewhere, Chicago is another town w/o a named Supercharger. Since there is a St. Louis Supercharger on the Tesla.com/FindUs page I hope they will open it later this year as it states on their page above.

-Randy