Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route for Florida to New England in 3 Days - trip observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
This was actually our second trip in one of the cars, but the first time we really planned it out and thought it out carefully, with one objective being To avoid the New Jersey and Washington corridors by jogging slightly West of 95. The trip down in January for my wife in our midnight silver was stressful, and exhausting if she tried to do it in two days which really meant ~800 miles a day and ~14 hours on the road with recharging. On the way back this time we took our time, broke it into three legs, with the longest leg just barely 600 miles, and it was a lot more doable. We space to supercharger stops so that no leg was really significantly more than about 210 miles, and this meant we did not have to stare and is in a severe white knuckling as the battery cranked into single digits.

If you're coming up from Southwest Florida or for that matter even from Southeast Florida, you might look at this route and of course you can reverse it if you're going down which is what were going to do in the fall.

Overall thoughts: enhanced autopilot was amazing and although it's far from perfect (explicated below) it is a game changer for long distance driving, where the most fatiguing aspects namely lane centering and speed matching are taken off your plate. My nephew Andrew did most of the driving in our other car and quickly fell in love with EAP. More on that later.

Here's our route with stops Including overnight accommodations – Mileages are in parenthesis from starting point to supercharger stop. We were disappointed with the Wyndham Super 8 in Santee South Carolina, but loved the Comfort Inn in Carlisle PA. Reasonable prices and a fantastically comfortable bed. We will definitely stay there on our reverse leg in the fall.

Route 75 from Port Charlotte to Ocala FL (185 mi)

Kingsland GA (140 mi)
MUST BE at 95+% when leaving Kingsland to get to Santee comfortably

Santee SC (208 mi)
Super 8 Santee
9125 Old Hwy 6
Santee, SC 29142 US

Fayetteville NC (150 mi)

Rocky Mount NC (92 mi)

Fredricksburg VA (173 mi)
(after this, nav should direct to RT 81 for next SC stop
in Carlisle but best route may depend on traffic around DC)

Carlisle PA (165 mi)
Comfort Inn PA Turnpike - I-81
77 Shady Lane,
Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
+1 (717) 706-3400

Moosic PA (130)

Danbury CT (140 mi)
MUST BE AT 90+% To get to Nashua comfortably

Nashua NH (177 mi)

We frequently came in at anywhere from 10 to 20% battery. We did not have to do any speed restriction given the intermediate length between stops with no leg over 210 miles. Speeds were highly variable and so was our mileage consumption. As traffic got heavier are Watt hours per mile actually got better, but we probably varied between averaging about 290 Watt hours per mile on some slower legs to 350 Watt hours per mile when we were going 80+ the whole leg.

The cars are really amazingly comfortable for long distances in part because of the autopilot but also in part because of the generally fine ride and superb front seats. We have quieted down both cars with the rpm wind noise kit and extensive dynamatting. Average road noise at 70 was only about 64 DB and only 66 Db at 80 which is a real serious reduction.

Further thoughts on autopilot and supercharging:

1) the system is too paranoid some of the time and not paranoid enough at other times. One consistently annoying feature is that when you're trying to change lanes, the system needs an enormous distance between you and the cars in front or in back and I understand the ~ 2 seconds rule, but it seems like it sometimes needs a lot more than that.

It's not paranoid enough on the other hand when you're passing trucks in an adjoining lane and the truck is hugging the lane boundary, and 1.5 feet or so away from you. I wish you would have the option to change its lane centering heuristics to move a bit away from large trucks. There were a few episodes of phantom regen braking particularly it seems when you're going around the turn and the system can clearly distinguish who's in your lane as opposed to lose in an adjacent lane.

2) But these are small quibbles in an otherwise superb system. For sure it's a total game changer in relationship to trips and long distance driving.

3) The new upgraded 150 kWh charging rate does make a discernible difference particularly until about the 50% mark on your battery. It charges up to that point really quickly. We rarely had to share A/B charging stalls, but there were still times when the charging rate seemed unduly low – and it certainly wasn't from cold batteries as destinations were always set to the next supercharger. I know this has been speculated about in various threads, but I wonder if some of the units need service – particularly in terms of possible sub optimal connections between the car and the charging cable. I do wish that Tesla would make sure that there was a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts nearby every supercharger. In general there is some kind of place to get a snack but in some cases he had to walk quite a difference.

Pictures to follow (although they're not all that interesting frankly)

Best cars ever. The more time we spend with them, the clearer that becomes. Although waiting for your car to finish supercharging is sometimes somewhat inconvenient, and we estimate that we could have comfortably covered an additional 100 – 150 miles a day if not using SC if we took out our 2 to 3 supercharger stops, we would not trade our Tesla Model 3 for any ICE vehicle price no object. We think they are safer highway cars than anything else you can buy.

This was actually our second long trip in one of the cars, but it's the first time we really planned the whole thing out and thought it out carefully, with one objective being to avoid the New Jersey/NYC and Washington corridors on Rt 95 (and their crazy traffic!) by jogging slightly West of 95. The earlier long trip down in January for my wife in our midnight silver Model 3 was pretty stressful, and exhausting as she tried to do it in two days which really meant ~800 miles a day and ~14 hours on the road with recharging (while taking care of our crazy doggie!).

On the way back this time we took our time, broke it into three legs, with the longest leg just barely 600 miles, and it was a lot more doable. We spaced the supercharger stops so that no leg was really significantly more than about 210 miles, and this meant we did not have to have any major bouts of range anxiety or white knuckling it, as the battery cranked into single digits.

If you're coming up from Southwest Florida or for that matter even from Southeast Florida, you might look at this route and of course you can reverse it if you're going down which is what were going to do in the fall.

Overall thoughts: enhanced autopilot was amazing and although it's far from perfect (explicated below) it is a game changer for long distance driving, where the most fatiguing aspects namely lane centering and speed matching are taken off your plate. My nephew Andrew did most of the driving in our other car and quickly fell in love with EAP. More on that later.

Here's our route with stops Including overnight accommodations – Mileages are in parenthesis at the end of each line, from starting point to the supercharger stop. We were disappointed with the Wyndham Super 8 in Santee South Carolina, but loved the Comfort Inn in Carlisle PA. Reasonable prices and a fantastically comfortable bed. We will definitely stay there on our reverse leg in the fall.

Kingsland GA (140 mi)

Santee SC (208 mi)
(overnight at Super 8 Santee
9125 Old Hwy 6
Santee, SC 29142)

Fayetteville NC (150 mi)

Rocky Mount NC (92 mi)

Carlisle PA (165 mi)
77 Shady Lane,
Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
+1 (717) 706-3400

Moosic PA (130)

Danbury CT (140 mi)

Nashua NH (177 mi)

We frequently came in at anywhere from just under 10 to ~ 20% battery. We did not have to do any meaningful speed restriction to boost range, given the intermediate length between stops, with no leg over 210 miles. Speeds were highly variable and so was our energy consumption. As traffic got heavier our watt-hrs per mile actually got better, but we probably varied between averaging ~290 Watt hours per mile on some slower legs to 350-380 Watt hours per mile when we were going 80 for the whole leg.

The cars are really amazingly comfortable for long distances in part because of the autopilot but also in part because of the generally fine ride and superb front seats. We have quieted down both cars with the RPM wind noise kit and extensive dynamatting. Average road noise at 70 is only about 64 DB and only 66 Db at 80 which is a pretty serious reduction.

1) the system is too paranoid some of the time and not paranoid enough at other times. One consistently annoying feature is that when you're trying to change lanes, the system needs an enormous distance between you and the cars in front or in back and I understand the ~ 2 seconds rule, but it seems like it sometimes needs a lot more than that. It was really annoying to have the car brake under the lane change signal, when there seemed to be plenty of room. That was often the most common reason I would choose to break out of AP - to avoid a tedious wait for the car to find more than enough space to get over.

It's not paranoid enough on the other hand when you're passing trucks in an adjoining lane and the truck is hugging the lane boundary, and 1.5 feet or so away from you. I wish you would have the option to change its lane centering heuristics to move a bit away from large trucks. There were a few episodes of phantom regen braking when there was nothing there particularly it seems when you're going around the turn and the system can clearly distinguish who's in your lane as opposed to lose in an adjacent lane. There was no episode however of phantom friction braking, which could have been more dangerous and for sure more disconcerting.

2) But these are small quibbles in an otherwise superb system. For sure it's a total game changer in relationship to trips and long distance driving. Can't imagine taking another long trip without EAP.

3) The new upgraded 150 kWh charging rate does make a discernible difference on trips, particularly until about the 50% mark on your battery, when the charge taper begins. It charges up to that point really quickly. We rarely had to share A/B charging stalls, but there were still times when the charging rate seemed unduly low – and it certainly wasn't from cold batteries as destinations were always set to the next supercharger. I know this has been speculated about in various threads, but I wonder if some of the units need service – particularly in terms of possible sub optimal connections between the car and the charging cable. I do wish that Tesla would make sure that there was a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts nearby every supercharger. In general there is some kind of place to get a snack but in some cases he had to walk quite a difference.

Best cars ever. The more time we spend with them, the clearer that becomes. Although waiting for your car to finish supercharging is sometimes a bit inconvenient, and we estimate that we could have comfortably covered an additional 100 – 150 miles a day if not using SC if we took out our 2 to 3 supercharger stops, we would not trade our Tesla Model 3s for any ICE vehicle - price no object. We think they are safer highway cars than anything else you can buy.

Pictures to follow . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
This was actually our second long trip in one of the cars, but it's the first time we really planned the whole thing out and thought it out carefully, with one objective being to avoid the New Jersey/NYC and Washington corridors on Rt 95 (and their crazy traffic!) by jogging slightly West of 95. The earlier long trip down in January for my wife in our midnight silver Model 3 was pretty stressful, and exhausting as she tried to do it in two days which really meant ~800 miles a day and ~14 hours on the road with recharging (while taking care of our crazy doggie!).

On the way back this time we took our time, broke it into three legs, with the longest leg just barely 600 miles, and it was a lot more doable. We spaced the supercharger stops so that no leg was really significantly more than about 210 miles, and this meant we did not have to have any major bouts of range anxiety or white knuckling it, as the battery cranked into single digits.

Here's our route with stops Including overnight accommodations – Mileages are in parenthesis at the end of each line, from starting point to the supercharger stop. We were disappointed with the Wyndham Super 8 in Santee South Carolina, but loved the Comfort Inn in Carlisle PA. Reasonable prices and a fantastically comfortable bed. We will definitely stay there on our reverse leg in the fall.

Kingsland GA (140 mi)

Santee SC (208 mi)
(overnight at Super 8 Santee
9125 Old Hwy 6
Santee, SC 29142)

Fayetteville NC (150 mi)

Rocky Mount NC (92 mi)

Carlisle PA (165 mi)
77 Shady Lane,
Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
+1 (717) 706-3400

Moosic PA (130)

Danbury CT (140 mi)

Nashua NH (177 mi)

We frequently came in at anywhere from just under 10 to ~ 20% battery. We did not have to do any meaningful speed restriction to boost range, given the intermediate length between stops, with no leg over 210 miles. Speeds were highly variable and so was our energy consumption. As traffic got heavier our watt-hrs per mile actually got better, but we probably varied between averaging ~290 Watt hours per mile on some slower legs to 350-380 Watt hours per mile when we were going 80 for the whole leg.

The cars are really amazingly comfortable for long distances in part because of the autopilot but also in part because of the generally fine ride and superb front seats. We have quieted down both cars with the RPM wind noise kit and extensive dynamatting. Average road noise at 70 is only about 64 DB and only 66 Db at 80 which is a pretty serious reduction.

1) the system is too paranoid some of the time and not paranoid enough at other times. One consistently annoying feature is that when you're trying to change lanes, the system needs an enormous distance between you and the cars in front or in back and I understand the ~ 2 seconds rule, but it seems like it sometimes needs a lot more than that. It was really annoying to have the car brake under the lane change signal, when there seemed to be plenty of room. That was often the most common reason I would choose to break out of AP - to avoid a tedious wait for the car to find more than enough space to get over.

It's not paranoid enough on the other hand when you're passing trucks in an adjoining lane and the truck is hugging the lane boundary, and 1.5 feet or so away from you. I wish you would have the option to change its lane centering heuristics to move a bit away from large trucks. There were a few episodes of phantom regen braking when there was nothing there particularly it seems when you're going around the turn and the system can clearly distinguish who's in your lane as opposed to lose in an adjacent lane. There was no episode however of phantom friction braking, which could have been more dangerous and for sure more disconcerting.

2) But these are small quibbles in an otherwise superb system. For sure it's a total game changer in relationship to trips and long distance driving. Can't imagine taking another long trip without EAP.

3) The new upgraded 150 kWh charging rate does make a discernible difference on trips, particularly until about the 50% mark on your battery, when the charge taper begins. It charges up to that point really quickly. We rarely had to share A/B charging stalls, but there were still times when the charging rate seemed unduly low – and it certainly wasn't from cold batteries as destinations were always set to the next supercharger. I know this has been speculated about in various threads, but I wonder if some of the units need service – particularly in terms of possible sub optimal connections between the car and the charging cable. I do wish that Tesla would make sure that there was a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts nearby every supercharger. In general there is some kind of place to get a snack but in some cases he had to walk quite a difference.

Best cars ever. The more time we spend with them, the clearer that becomes. Although waiting for your car to finish supercharging is sometimes a bit inconvenient, and we estimate that we could have comfortably covered an additional 100 – 150 miles a day if not using SC if we took out our 2 to 3 supercharger stops, we would not trade our Tesla Model 3s for any ICE vehicle - price no object. We think they are safer highway cars than anything else you can buy.

Pictures to follow . . .
Sounds like a very comfortable trip Doug. I’ve yet to go on even a 100 mile trip. We may go from Wareham to Brattleboro this summer. I was thinking the only stops I would need would be the new SC in Hudson MA on the way up, and the SC in Brattleboro. I haven’t plugged my trip into ABRP, but I may be able to get home with no stops. Welcome back.

Reactions: dfwatt
This is good feed back! We're heading to PEI in a few weeks and the charging is limited (we may need to hit some LV2 on the way back)

Your timing might be just be off!

Salisbury, NB and Baileyville, ME are under construction. Hardware delaying Salisbury, NB it, but it _could_ be open by the time you will be returning.
Supercharger - Salisbury, NB
Supercharger - Baileyville, ME

Need to get to Aulac, NB on your return.

Then fastest route back might be via Lincoln, NB.
Lincoln, NB to Brewer, ME is, according to Supercharge.info/OSM: 211.4 mi 03:13:42, taking I-95.

But if you route south from Lincoln, NB on NB-640, and cross into the USA around Calais, ME,. passing by the Baileyville, ME site at the Iriving, taking route 9 to Brewer, ME Supercharge.info/OSM says:
94.1 mi 01:45:15
87.6 mi 01:32:16
=
181.7 mi 03:17:31
Shorter and greater efficiency due to lower speed, and only a few more minutes of driving time, so should be faster overall and could avoid Level 2s on your return trip, as long as you can get a slow charge before you leave.

Did you have lane change set to Mad Max mode ?
(I'm not sure if following distance also has an impact)

Thank you Cape Coddess!. We have made some Modifications of the route. Two stops overnight but this means no leg is more than 600 miles – and it's a pretty easy drive. Alternative is two legs of 800 miles each. Those are killer days! Hope this is helpful! Please post your results and impressions if you duplicate this drive. Although I think if you time it perfectly you might be able to save a little bit of time by going through the thick of the Northeast corridor and staying on I-95, the stress of the traffic is likely to make it not worth it, whatever time you might save.

And it's entirely possible it might take you significantly longer if you have a particularly brutal crush of rush-hour traffic or accidents – and both of those are very common on Route 95. We recommend this route to everybody driving a Tesla from New England to Southwest Florida. We have had very good luck with the Comfort Inn In Carlisle PA, and with the Holiday Inn in Santee. We've done this trip multiple times over the last three years. The trip is doable even for folks who are experiencing range loss up to 10 to 15% – as there is no leg now longer than 180 miles. and frankly, sitting in the car for three hours is my personal limit anyway, So if the car had 400+ miles of range I'm not sure it would make much difference. We try to charge only enough so that we get in with 15%. This keeps us mostly out of the snails pace charging above 80%. We don't mind coming in at 10% either but obviously we avoid coming in at 5% or less.

Trip from Nashua to Punta Gorda
Supercharger Stops and Best Route

Nashua NH (178 mi to Danbury CT) MUST BE AT 90+% esp. if below 60F

Danbury CT (137 mi to Moosic PA)

Moosic PA (132mi to Carlisle PA)

Overnight stop at Comfort Inn PA Turnpike - I-81
77 Shady Lane,
Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
(717) 706-3400

From Carlisle PA to Strasburg VA SC (117 mi)

From Strasburg VA to Fredricksburg VA SC (82 mi) (Rt 66 to Rt 17 to Rt 95)

Best Route from Carlisle PA SC is directly to Fredricksburg VA SC (185 mi) (Rt 50 to Rt 17 to rt 95) Avoids Washington DC traffic/extra stop at Strausberg SC

Fredericksburg VA SC (173 mi) to Rocky Mount NC SC (90% leaving Fredricksburg)

Rocky Mount NC (92 mi) to Fayetteville (easy peasy very quick 10 minute stop)
Fayetteville NC (151 mi) to Santee SC

Overnight stop at Holiday Inn in Santee
139 Bradford Blvd, Santee, SC 29142
Phone: (803) 854-9800

Best Route is Santee SC to Brunswick GA SC (173 mi) (90%) Version 3 supercharger

Alternative is Santee SC (208 mi to Kingsland GA) Must be at 95+%

Brunswick GA to Ocala FL SC (173 mi) (90%)

Route 75 to Ocala FL (185 mi to Punta Gorda)
Must be at 90+%

Punta Gorda FL to Nashua NH
Supercharger Stops and Best Routes

Route 75 to Ocala FL SC (185 mi from Punta Gorda)– Must be at 90% when leaving Punta Gorda Florida

(Previously Kingsland GA SC (140 mi from Ocala FL) MUST BE at 95+% when leaving to Kingsland GA to get to Santee SC comfortably as it is 208 miles)

New and better alternative is Going past Kingsland to Brunswick GA (174 mi from Ocala FL) – This is a new supercharger station (V3) so we are now using this instead of Kingsland, as it evens out leg length.

Santee SC (208 mi from Kingsland GA but only 175 mi from Brunswick GA SC)

Overnight stay at Holiday Inn in Santee
139 Bradford Blvd, Santee, SC 29142
Phone: (803) 854-9800

Fayetteville NC SC (150 mi from Santee SC)

Rocky Mount NC SC (92 mi from Fayetteville SC)

Fredericksburg VA (173 mi from Rocky Mount SC)

(after this, get off 95 to Rt 17 to Rt 50 to Rt 81) to Carlisle PA

Carlisle PA (185 mi from Fredericksburg VA but mostly back roads)

Overnight stay at Comfort Inn PA Turnpike - I-81
77 Shady Lane,
Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
(717) 706-3400

Moosic PA (130 mi from Carlisle)
Danbury CT (140 mi from Moosic PA)

MUST BE AT 90+%
Nashua NH (177 mi from Danbury CT)

Happiness is a 2 Tesla family with unlimited free supercharging!

Attachments

• 20201018_124440.jpg
    20201018_124440.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 156
This is very interesting and I wrote a lot of it down.

My route has been a bit different than yours because I sleep in my car while it's charging, in order to stay with my pet. I can sleep the longest at the Wawa in Grasonville MD.

It usually takes me 31 hours from Southeast Florida to Cape Cod. It's a grueling trip heading north because I'm a bit tired by the time I hit all the big cities. Thank goodness for double espressos from Dunks. ;)

Going north to south is easier because there's nothing going on when I'm a bit tired and the car can take over without much direction from me.

The only issue I found is that sometimes in the middle of the night some of the chargers don't have facilities that are open. Especially the ones that are in mall parking lots and have nothing else around. This next trip I'm working to map out chargers that are at 24-hour convenience stores if possible.

I too love EAP and free supercharging! Onward ever onward.

This is the route that a better route planner has chosen for me:
30 h
12 charge stops (Rockledge, FL Supercharger [Tesla], Palm Coast, FL Supercharger [Tesla], Kingsland, GA Supercharger [Tesla], Hardeeville, SC Supercharger [Tesla], Santee, SC Supercharger [Tesla], Lumberton Supercharger [Tesla], Smithfield, NC Supercharger [Tesla], Petersburg, VA - Wagner Road Supercharger [Tesla], Stafford, VA Supercharger [Tesla], Middletown, DE Supercharger [Tesla], East Brunswick, NJ Supercharger [Tesla], New London, CT Supercharger [Tesla])

IMG_20190415_123626554_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh DF, I’m right next door! Good write up, agreed on most points re comfort of long trips. Haven’t done FL yet, but have done 4 times to Detroit, it’s just an absolute pleasurable car for a long trip.
Yes it is. I'm somewhat surprised that Tesla is removing radar from the new cars. They will have at least a couple of months during which autopilot is restricted to 75 miles an hour. If you go 75 down here on the highways you're tailgated by everybody and their mother, even in the right lane.