Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route for Ultimate US road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very close to a road trip I took with my wife when we retired in 2008:
Route Map.jpg

I plan to go to the USGA Open in WA. in June. I want to use super chargers all the way. I'm worried about Rapid City to Billings on the way out. On the way home I want to go down the PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy.) to the Tesla plant and then East. Probably retrace the trip accross America but there are a few gaps of concern but if they did it I think I will be alright.

You're right to be concerned about Rapid City to Billings: it's a big gap with not much in the way of charging options, though people have negotiated it successfully. We need both Gillette and Sheridan SpCs to open up the Pacific NW via Superchargers, without having to divert to SoCal.

If by the 'trip across America' you mean what's sometimes called Elon's Route, OTOH, it's really not an issue: Superchargers all the way, easy for an 85 and doable in a 60.

I emailed the Cooke City and Red Lodge, MT Chambers about getting some high amp L2 charging. If it proceeds it would help fill the gap in WY. In my opinion the Yellowstone/Beartooth area is a must-drive portion of a USA road trip.

Red Lodge is looking into it FYI.

Interesting. Looks like you did it in 30 days, is that right? (I'm looking to retire soon and want to do some major trips like this)...
Would you try it in a Tesla?
Yes, it was exactly 30 days and almost exactly 10,000 miles (I forget the exact number). We plan to do another trip, but a different route, when we get our Model X. That'll probably be 2016 so I expect to see more superchargers by then. This trip was fantastic and I'm very glad we did it. We tried to keep the daily distance short so we had time to stop and various attractions along the way.

Yes, it was exactly 30 days and almost exactly 10,000 miles (I forget the exact number). We plan to do another trip, but a different route, when we get our Model X. That'll probably be 2016 so I expect to see more superchargers by then. This trip was fantastic and I'm very glad we did it. We tried to keep the daily distance short so we had time to stop and various attractions along the way.

Excellent, I have a similar plan, but will wait until 2017. Having worked in auto industry for 30 years (the last 15 in an assembly plant), I know that during the first year a new model is released, a vast number of engineering changes are applied, so year 2 is a much improved vehicle. As much as I support Tesla, I will let the early adopters do the shakedown on the Model X. Also, the supercharger network will be much more complete as well.

Hi All,

First time on this forum. I am planning the great electric loop my plan is to leave Philly and drive up through New England to Montreal, Toronto, Detroit then to Portland down the West coast across the South and then up the East coast and back to Philly. We are going to do this in our S60. To make the trip interesting will try to visit as many National Parks on the trip.