Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is not the optimal place for this (moderators go ahead and re-file) but: I have some interesting test results using route planners in the case of an active road closure.

Parameters: As of minutes ago, this site: https://ca-17.com/US-395#chp-incidents listed US 395 closed from Bridgeport to Lee Vining, CA.

So, how do I get to Lee vining, CA then? Does Tesla route planner figure this out? [Shocking news coming....]

* Google maps > directions knew about the closure and found a 10.5 hour way around that section of 395 (from bay area, normally like 6.5 hrs). The only hitch here is that it doesn't have a simple way of showing closure regions (like broken lines at closures, or black or purple color coding that section, etc. Still, it did very well.

* Abetterrouteplanner.com said “No Valid Plan found - this is the best attempt", and showed me the usual way charging at placerville and Gardnerville (Topaz) it has found in the past. So, it ***did*** somehow know about the closure, but it COULD NOT EXPLAIN THAT!!! (I clicked and probed a LOT, and it didn't say anything about closures, or show any closures on the maps.

\The tesla on-line route planner did *not* know about the road closure! 100% fail. (Though it did know about the every winter closure of 120, and did route me around that.)

\The Tesla in-car route planner *with premium connectivity* did ***not*** know about the road closure. It routed me the normal way, and I would have been SOL if I had followed that!

So, I have to say, Elon, you need a bit of work there. I ain't payin' for the premium connectivity for the caraoke, no matter what you think about that. Get on the stick, fellah! (Or if you're busy at something else, get your software guys on that.)

-TPC

Moving from a ICE car to Tesla, I found the Tesla not having the ability to know about road closures as one of the few and surprising downsides of the Tesla.
Been caught out many times in the Tesla routing me to road closures it didn't know about.

Reactions: tmartin