Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route planning question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in a trip on ABRP and it says i need to charge for 7 minutes and leave at 79% to arrive at 10% at the next charger. but when i put in the same trip into the car it says i need to charge for 45 minutes which would be about 95-100% to make it to the next charger. The setting in ABRP say 325 wh/mi and a 12% degraded battery like it always does.

I've never seen such a large discrepancy between what the car says vs what ABRP says. The stop in question is Yermo, CA to Needles, CA. Anyone taken that trip in a P85D, i just don't get why there is such a huge difference.

Then i put in the same trip this morning and the car now says to go down to palm springs and head east from there skipping the 40 and just taking the 10 the whole trip, adding about 45 min to the trip.

Been playing around on ABRP and checked going home and it says i need to leave Needles at 100% to make it to Yermo at 15%, its a little hilly but not that much, and charging to 100% takes 2.5 hours from 20% which is what I'd be arriving to Needles at coming from east to west. Its looking like i should just take the long way and go south down through Hesperia and palm springs going both directions.

Depends on your tolerance for cutting it fine, I guess - if you're happy arriving with 5% or even 3% it gives you a little more leeway (although I'd map out a few emergency L2 options just in case :D ). I find the in-car nav to be very conservative, often adding an extra stop where it's not needed.

If the long way 'round adds 45 minutes, is it worth exploring taking the shorter route but just driving slower?

Is it accounting tor a strong headwind? We've had Santa Ana winds (high pressure easterlies) over the last few days. 104mph gusts through the Grapevine/Castaic area. I recommend you drop you cruise speed down to 65mph and see how much energy you'll save for that long stretch. Keep you trip graph projection open in the "Energy" window on the MCU to make sure you've got enough. I drove back from AZ with a 30mph headwind (50mph gusts) and was amazed at how much more energy it sapped; driving slower helped...not sure if lowering the suspension did much but I did it anyways. You'll save about 8% energy per 5mph reduction. Good luck.

Depends on your tolerance for cutting it fine, I guess - if you're happy arriving with 5% or even 3% it gives you a little more leeway (although I'd map out a few emergency L2 options just in case :D ). I find the in-car nav to be very conservative, often adding an extra stop where it's not needed.

If the long way 'round adds 45 minutes, is it worth exploring taking the shorter route but just driving slower?
I've arrived plenty of times at 2-5% no worries. But my concern is the huge difference in one thing saying I need 100% charge and another saying I only need 80%.
Is it accounting tor a strong headwind? We've had Santa Ana winds (high pressure easterlies) over the last few days. 104mph gusts through the Grapevine/Castaic area. I recommend you drop you cruise speed down to 65mph and see how much energy you'll save for that long stretch. Keep you trip graph projection open in the "Energy" window on the MCU to make sure you've got enough. I drove back from AZ with a 30mph headwind (50mph gusts) and was amazed at how much more energy it sapped; driving slower helped...not sure if lowering the suspension did much but I did it anyways. You'll save about 8% energy per 5mph reduction. Good luck.
There is no wind today. The high desert didn't even have a breeze and I've decided to take the palm springs route and it's also no wind here either. I know how much a headwind will destroy range. I used up an extra 30% one time going from Baker to yermo one time because of a headwind it was insane. But like I said no wind today 🤷‍♂️