Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routes from the Montrose CO Supercharger Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the Montrose Supercharger Station has opened (yesterday) I thought I would post some elevation profiles of routes from Montrose to other Supercharger Stations. Those on the coasts, where Supercharger Stations are so dense it seems that there is one every few miles, might not appreciate what it is like in the rural Mountain West, where they tend to be few and far between. Montrose is now something of an exception since, despite a remote location well away from Interstate highways, it is within easy Tesla range of eight Supercharger Stations in almost every direction. So, proceeding from the Northwest in a clockwise direction:

1) Montrose to Green River UT

Montrose to Green River-profile.png

Notes: The stretch from Grand Junction to Green River on I-70 can have strong headwinds. If you hit wind, check your battery percentage at destination and if looks too low slow down right away. Or get an additional charge at the Grand Junction Supercharger Station.

This route is not the least bit scenic. However, travelers can take a side trip through Colorado National Monument from Grand Junction to Fruita, at I-70. Highly recommended, especially for those who don't have much experience with the "red rocks" country of Colorado, southern Utah or northern Arizona.

A place families with children interested in dinosaurs might want to visit is the Dinosaur Museum in Fruita, near the visitors center/rest area at the Fruita exit off I-70.

Another place of interest is the "Trail Through Time" located at exit 2, near the Utah border, just north of I-70. This easy 1.4 mile loop trail is near the quarry where the dinosaur fossils in the Dinosaur Museum came from. There are several marked dinosaur fossils in the rocks next to the trail. For those who know what to look for, there are places where fragments of dinosaur bone fossils litter the ground (please leave them there for others to enjoy). [I helped reroute and build part of this trail with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado many years ago.]

2) Montrose to Grand Junction CO

Montrose to Grand Junction-profile.png

Notes: As with the route to Green River, this short stretch to Grand Junction is not scenic. A side trip to Colorado National Monument, mentioned above, is highly recommended.

3) Montrose to Glenwood Springs CO

Montrose to Glenwood Springs-profile.png

4) Montrose to Aspen CO

Montrose to Aspen-profile.png

Notes: The stretch of CO-133 over McClure Pass is scenic. You might want to make a short side trip to Marble, where the marble for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC was quarried. The Supercharger Station at Aspen is at a hotel and is of the "urban" variety; it is one of the more attractive Supercharger Stations.

5) Montrose to Poncha Springs CO

Montrose to Poncha Springs-profile.png

Notes: The access road to the South Rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is located on US 50 seven miles east of the Montrose Supercharger Station. Well worth the side trip if you have the time. The North Rim of the canyon can be accessed from CO-92 at Crawford but the road is unpaved on that side.

The stretch from Cerro Summit, east of Montrose, to Gunnison, along the Blue Mesa Reservoir is scenic. The road up Monarch Pass has two climbing lanes on the west side and has two climbing lanes part of the way on the east side. Zooming up the west side to the pass is fun in a Tesla.

6) Montrose to Farmington NM

Montrose to Farmington-profile.png

Notes: The stretch of US 550 from Ridgway to Ouray to Red Mountain Pass — the "Million Dollar Highway" — is highly scenic. The part from Red Mountain Pass to Silverton, Molas Pass, Coal Bank Pass, to Purgatory Ski Area is also scenic.

The Hot Springs Pool in Ouray is quite popular (limited in numbers of guests allowed at present, due to the coronavirus, however). Ouray hosts winter ice climbing festivals, for those interested. It is also the Jeep Road capital of Colorado (on the old mining roads) and people come from around the country to challenge their Jeeps and other SUVs for what they were really intended.

The Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is justly famed, for fans of steam trains.

7) Montrose to Blanding UT

Montrose to Blanding-profile.png

Notes: The stretch from Ridgway to Dallas Divide to Norwood is highly scenic.

Blanding is the gateway city to Natural Bridges National Monument and the surrounding Bears Ears National Monument. A visit to hike Natural Bridges is well worth doing. The road from Blanding to the Monument, UT-95, is fun to drive and often has no traffic to interfere with zooming around the curves.

8) Montrose to Moab UT via Ridgway, Norwood, Naturita, Paradox Valley, La Sal

Montrose Ridgway Moab-profile.png

Notes: This is the little known back road route locals use to get to Moab. The stretch from Ridgway to Dallas Divide to Norwood and from CO-90 through Paradox Valley to La Sal UT to Moab are both highly scenic. CO-90 tends to have almost no other cars, so it is a peaceful drive.

Moab is the gateway city for the sublime Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. High season is April and October, when it isn't as hot as in summer. The Island In the Sky District of Canyonlands can be toured by car but it is best if the air is very clear, which is increasingly rare nowadays, except in winter. The Needles District of Canyonlands, located about halfway between Moab and Blanding, is best explored by foot on the many superb hiking trails.

9) Montrose to Moab via Whitewater, Gateway, Paradox Valley, La Sal

Montrose to Gateway to Moab-profile.png

Notes: This is an even more obscure route to Moab. The stretch of CO-141 from Whitewater to Gateway to Uravan is highly scenic. The stretch from Gateway to Uravan is red rocks canyon country. The stretch from Whitewater to Gateway is also canyons but of completely different geology.

The Gateway Canyons Resort has Tesla Destination Charging, located across from the world class auto museum; it is open to anyone who wants to charge there. There are a number of excellent hiking and biking trails on BLM land adjacent to the Resort. [I helped build them with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado over a number of years.] A trail map can usually be obtained free from the Activity Center of the Resort. Otherwise you can download my pdf scan here:

The one missing route is Montrose to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez. Cortez, the gateway city to Mesa Verde National Park, doesn't seem to be in Tesla's plans for a Supercharger Station. And, of course, Kayenta AZ has been on the "coming soon" list since 2016.

Yes, thanks for this super informative and timely post, dgpcolorado. I am planning a massive three week road trip with my family to take advantage of the NPS Every Kid in a Park program, and this information helped me choose a more interesting route from Moab to Estes Park. We'll be staying at Gunnison overnight so we can get to Pike's Peak the next morning on the way to Estes.

Interesting side note, the Gunnison Inn's website quoted me over $900 for a single night in a 300 sq. ft. two queen room that looked like it would fit in at a Budget Inn. Not worth it for the overnight charge on their level 2 by a long shot, especially given the Montrose to Poncha data you posted above.

Reactions: CO_MY
Yes, thanks for this super informative and timely post, dgpcolorado. I am planning a massive three week road trip with my family to take advantage of the NPS Every Kid in a Park program, and this information helped me choose a more interesting route from Moab to Estes Park. We'll be staying at Gunnison overnight so we can get to Pike's Peak the next morning on the way to Estes.

Interesting side note, the Gunnison Inn's website quoted me over $900 for a single night in a 300 sq. ft. two queen room that looked like it would fit in at a Budget Inn. Not worth it for the overnight charge on their level 2 by a long shot, especially given the Montrose to Poncha data you posted above.
An alternative to Pikes Peak would be Mount Evans, near Georgetown. It would be more convenient for a trip heading to Estes Park.

The road to the top of Mount Evans was closed last year, so I don't know if it will be open this summer, although I would guess so. Pikes Peak is better known, so more "cachet" and the road is open more of the year (although it was limited access last year, due to construction at the top). Mount Evans is a bit higher and more convenient to the Denver metro area and Estes Park.

If you are traveling in summer, when Trail Ridge Road is open in Rocky Mountain National Park, you might consider getting to or from Estes Park that way and skip the Denver/Boulder metro area entirely. CO-119 is another route to Estes Park that stays in the mountains, although it can be busy in the summer, especially on weekends. (If you are planning a trip in the winter or spring, your alternatives are more limited, of course, due to seasonal road closures for snow.)

Good luck with your trip planning!

• Informative
Reactions: tharasix and CO_MY
Now that the Montrose Supercharger Station has opened (yesterday) I thought I would post some elevation profiles of routes from Montrose to other Supercharger Stations. Those on the coasts, where Supercharger Stations are so dense it seems that there is one every few miles, might not appreciate what it is like in the rural Mountain West, where they tend to be few and far between. Montrose is now something of an exception since, despite a remote location well away from Interstate highways, it is within easy Tesla range of eight Supercharger Stations in almost every direction. So, proceeding from the Northwest in a clockwise direction:

1) Montrose to Green River UT

View attachment 619292
Notes: The stretch from Grand Junction to Green River on I-70 can have strong headwinds. If you hit wind, check your battery percentage at destination and if looks too low slow down right away. Or get an additional charge at the Grand Junction Supercharger Station.

This route is not the least bit scenic. However, travelers can take a side trip through Colorado National Monument from Grand Junction to Fruita, at I-70. Highly recommended, especially for those who don't have much experience with the "red rocks" country of Colorado, southern Utah or northern Arizona.

A place families with children interested in dinosaurs might want to visit is the Dinosaur Museum in Fruita, near the visitors center/rest area at the Fruita exit off I-70.

Another place of interest is the "Trail Through Time" located at exit 2, near the Utah border, just north of I-70. This easy 1.4 mile loop trail is near the quarry where the dinosaur fossils in the Dinosaur Museum came from. There are several marked dinosaur fossils in the rocks next to the trail. For those who know what to look for, there are places where fragments of dinosaur bone fossils litter the ground (please leave them there for others to enjoy). [I helped reroute and build part of this trail with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado many years ago.]

2) Montrose to Grand Junction CO

View attachment 619293
Notes: As with the route to Green River, this short stretch to Grand Junction is not scenic. A side trip to Colorado National Monument, mentioned above, is highly recommended.

3) Montrose to Glenwood Springs CO

View attachment 619294

4) Montrose to Aspen CO

View attachment 619295
Notes: The stretch of CO-133 over McClure Pass is scenic. You might want to make a short side trip to Marble, where the marble for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC was quarried. The Supercharger Station at Aspen is at a hotel and is of the "urban" variety; it is one of the more attractive Supercharger Stations.

5) Montrose to Poncha Springs CO

View attachment 619296
Notes: The access road to the South Rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is located on US 50 seven miles east of the Montrose Supercharger Station. Well worth the side trip if you have the time. The North Rim of the canyon can be accessed from CO-92 at Crawford but the road is unpaved on that side.

The stretch from Cerro Summit, east of Montrose, to Gunnison, along the Blue Mesa Reservoir is scenic. The road up Monarch Pass has two climbing lanes on the west side and has two climbing lanes part of the way on the east side. Zooming up the west side to the pass is fun in a Tesla.

6) Montrose to Farmington NM

View attachment 619297
Notes: The stretch of US 550 from Ridgway to Ouray to Red Mountain Pass — the "Million Dollar Highway" — is highly scenic. The part from Red Mountain Pass to Silverton, Molas Pass, Coal Bank Pass, to Purgatory Ski Area is also scenic.

The Hot Springs Pool in Ouray is quite popular (limited in numbers of guests allowed at present, due to the coronavirus, however). Ouray hosts winter ice climbing festivals, for those interested. It is also the Jeep Road capital of Colorado (on the old mining roads) and people come from around the country to challenge their Jeeps and other SUVs for what they were really intended.

The Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is justly famed, for fans of steam trains.

7) Montrose to Blanding UT

View attachment 619298
Notes: The stretch from Ridgway to Dallas Divide to Norwood is highly scenic.

Blanding is the gateway city to Natural Bridges National Monument and the surrounding Bears Ears National Monument. A visit to hike Natural Bridges is well worth doing. The road from Blanding to the Monument, UT-95, is fun to drive and often has no traffic to interfere with zooming around the curves.

8) Montrose to Moab UT via Ridgway, Norwood, Naturita, Paradox Valley, La Sal

View attachment 619299
Notes: This is the little known back road route locals use to get to Moab. The stretch from Ridgway to Dallas Divide to Norwood and from CO-90 through Paradox Valley to La Sal UT to Moab are both highly scenic. CO-90 tends to have almost no other cars, so it is a peaceful drive.

Moab is the gateway city for the sublime Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. High season is April and October, when it isn't as hot as in summer. The Island In the Sky District of Canyonlands can be toured by car but it is best if the air is very clear, which is increasingly rare nowadays, except in winter. The Needles District of Canyonlands, located about halfway between Moab and Blanding, is best explored by foot on the many superb hiking trails.

9) Montrose to Moab via Whitewater, Gateway, Paradox Valley, La Sal

View attachment 619300
Notes: This is an even more obscure route to Moab. The stretch of CO-141 from Whitewater to Gateway to Uravan is highly scenic. The stretch from Gateway to Uravan is red rocks canyon country. The stretch from Whitewater to Gateway is also canyons but of completely different geology.

The Gateway Canyons Resort has Tesla Destination Charging, located across from the world class auto museum; it is open to anyone who wants to charge there. There are a number of excellent hiking and biking trails on BLM land adjacent to the Resort. [I helped build them with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado over a number of years.] A trail map can usually be obtained free from the Activity Center of the Resort. Otherwise you can download my pdf scan here:

The one missing route is Montrose to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez. Cortez, the gateway city to Mesa Verde National Park, doesn't seem to be in Tesla's plans for a Supercharger Station. And, of course, Kayenta AZ has been on the "coming soon" list since 2016.
Now that a ninth Supercharger Station directly accessible from Montrose, Mountain Village CO, has opened, the final route over the mountains is easily traveled by Teslas:

10) Montrose to Mountain Village (Telluride) CO via Ridgway and Dallas Divide

Montrose to Mountain Village-profile.png

Notes: The stretch from Ridgway over Dallas Divide, via CO-62, to Mountain Village, via CO-145, is highly scenic. As is the top of the Mountain Village Gondola Parking Garage, one floor up from the Superchargers. After charging, I recommend that you park and take the free gondola across to Mountain Village and then take the free gondola down to Telluride. It is a scenic ride, especially from San Sophia Station, on the ridge, down to Telluride. While in Telluride you might want to take a walk along the San Miguel River, which runs through town.

11) Mountain Village CO to Farmington NM via Lizard Head Pass.

Mountain Village to Farmingtion-profile.png

Notes: The part of the route from Mountain Village to Lizard Head Pass to Dolores is scenic. This route can be adjusted to go by Mesa Verde National Park. However, additional charging will be needed in Mountain Village (or Farmington) or level 2 charging will be needed near the park. Be aware that the road into the park is a significant distance from the entrance station. Far View Lodge in the park has Tesla Destination Charging and Morefield Campground in the park has RV pedestals with 14-50 outlets.

12) Mountain Village CO to Blanding UT via Lizard Head Pass.

Mountain Village to Blanding-profile.png

Notes: This route can be adjusted to visit Canyon of the Ancients National Monument and Hovenweep National Monument. Additional charge will be needed in Mountain Village to make the side trip.

Blanding UT is the gateway city for Natural Bridges National Monument and the surrounding Bears Ears National Monument.

• Informative
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Took advantage of my "Route 10" above, to visit Canyons of the Ancients National Monument:

This National Monument has the highest density of archeological sites in the Southwest. While the thousands of archeological ruins aren't as big and impressive as those in nearby Mesa Verde National Park, they are interesting to explore and the trail through Sand Canyon is rather scenic, in a desert southwest way. The general area around the Monument is agriculture and not particularly noteworthy. Visitors should stop by the Visitors Center and Museum to get maps and advice before exploring the huge, sprawling Monument.

I camped at McPhee Campground at McPhee Reservoir, sixty-nine miles from the Mountain Village CO Supercharger Station. The campground has twenty-four electric sites (14-50 outlets on the RV pedestals), nine of which are "first come, first served" and others that can be reserved at least four days in advance. There were plenty of electric sites ($42/night, $29/night with a Golden Age National Parks Pass) available on the first day of the Fourth of July weekend, since this campground is well off the beaten track and far from any major metro areas. Please note that Nav gives the wrong directions to get to the campground; on highway 184 just drive west until you spot the sign for McPhee Reservoir and turn on Road 25 to get there. Nav must be working from forty year old maps...

Camping at McPhee Campground_20220630_131306344sf.jpg

^ Campsite 9E, Juniper Loop

Camping at McPhee Campground_20220701_070914669sf.jpg

Painted Hand Tower CANM_20220630_152043105.jpg

^ A tower at Painted Hand Pueblo.

Lowry Pueblo CANM_20220630_163438331.jpg

^ Part of the Lowry Pueblo excavation.

Vista from the trail in Sand Canyon, during a rain shower:
Sand Canyon CANM_20220701_103821958sf.jpg

This view gives an idea of the terrain in this part of the Monument; it is much the same as elsewhere in the Four Corners region.

IMG_20220701_120206836.jpg

Crotaphytus collaris_20220701_140712304.jpg

^ Indigenous resident of Sand Canyon, sitting on a trail cairn: Crotaphytus collaris (collared lizard). They are common below 6500 feet elevation in dry parts of Colorado — very easy to spot and not at all shy.

Last edited:
Great thread with the detailed write ups, thanks much! We really enjoy SW Colorado. We spent a lot of time years ago in the Ouray area and travelled Ouray to Telluride, Gunnison including Black Canyon NM, Million Dollar Highway, Cortez and Mesa Verde.

Montrose is not that far from Ouray, but are there local chargers in Ouray with adapters to help out? ETA: just saw new Chargepoint installation.

I have noticed lack of Tesla supercharger in Cortez or Durango and thought that was odd as they are along well traveled routes.

Look forward to more exploring in the Tesla!

Last edited:
Great thread with the detailed write ups, thanks much! We really enjoy SW Colorado. We spent a lot of time years ago in the Ouray area and travelled Ouray to Telluride, Gunnison including Black Canyon NM, Million Dollar Highway, Cortez and Mesa Verde.

Montrose is not that far from Ouray, but are there local chargers in Ouray with adapters to help out? ETA: just saw new Chargepoint installation.

I have noticed lack of Tesla supercharger in Cortez or Durango and thought that was odd as they are along well traveled routes.

Look forward to more exploring in the Tesla!
There isn't any charging in Ouray for Teslas; used to be but no longer available. The DCFC Chargepoint station is only useful if you have a Chademo or CCS adapter (requires car to be CCS capable, mine is not). It is also crazy expensive so even CCS cars will likely use it only in emergencies, unless the pricing changes.

There is good Level 2 charging in nearby Ridgway. The charge station in Hartwell Park runs at 8 kW and is walking distance from many restaurants, the library (WiFi), a grocery store, park restrooms, playground, picnic tables, museums, and is adjacent to the Riverway Trail leading to Dennis Weaver Park and, eventually, Ridgway State Park.

So, lots to do while charging in Ridgway. If both stalls in Hartwell Park are in use, there are two free 6 kW Chargepoint stalls a few blocks north at the local power co-op, SMPA.

With the opening of the Parachute CO Supercharger Station we now have a tenth location that is easily reached from Montrose; it pretty much replaces Glenwood Springs when traveling east on I-70. Some additional routes:

13) Montrose to Parachute via US 50 and Clifton.

Montrose to Parachute via Clifton-profile.png

Notes: As with the routes to Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs, this route is easy but boring and not scenic.

14) Montrose to Parachute via SH 65, Cedaredge and Grand Mesa.

Montrose to Parachute via Grand Mesa-profile.png

Notes: This is the scenic, and much more fun to drive, route to Parachute. It goes up and over the Grand Mesa, a huge flat-topped mountain 10,000 feet in elevation with forests, lakes and wetlands. Locals visit the top of Grand Mesa for cross country skiing in winter and the small Powderhorn downhill ski area is on the north side, as one descends into the Colorado River Valley. The eleven miles on 45½ Road, leading from SH 65 to I-70 is a twisty delight for Tesla drivers (albeit, not so much fun for passengers!).

Grand Mesa is a popular visit during "leaf season" and there are numerous pull-outs for stopping to view the display:

Aspens on Grand Mesa panorama20221002ed_141611934.jpg

^ Aspens on Grand Mesa, 1 October 2022.

The name of Grand Mesa is related to the name of the Grand River, an earlier name (of several) of what we now call the Colorado River. In the early 1920s the name was changed to the Colorado River, over the objections of Utah and Wyoming, who thought that the Green River should take precedence below the confluence, being longer and with a larger drainage. (However, the Colorado mountains supply more water to the combined rivers than does the Green River drainage.) Grand Junction is named for the joining of the Grand and Gunnison Rivers. Then there is the Grand Canyon...

Last edited: