Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routine maintenance questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S70 is now two weeks old and I am rapidly putting on the miles. I would welcome advice as to where I could get the tires rotated. I have a good local mechanic I could use, rather than going to the Tesla service center. Also, the price for the 12,500 and 25,000 mile scheduled maintenance seems just plain nuts to me. Is there any reason that my mechanic could not change the battery coolant, brake fluid, windshield wipers?

My S70 is now two weeks old and I am rapidly putting on the miles. I would welcome advice as to where I could get the tires rotated. I have a good local mechanic I could use, rather than going to the Tesla service center. Also, the price for the 12,500 and 25,000 mile scheduled maintenance seems just plain nuts to me. Is there any reason that my mechanic could not change the battery coolant, brake fluid, windshield wipers?
The battery coolant needs to be done by Tesla, as they use the Toolbox software to tell the internal pumps to flush the coolant. This is only once every 4 years though.

Brake fluid and wipers are easy to do and no different than any other car though.

I use my own tire guy, who I have used for years. They do have Tesla experience. Make sure that they know exactly where to put the jack points. You don't want them lifting from the battery structure. They are easy to identify. If you have the air suspension, jack mode is critical. Otherwise, if they lift the car while not in jack mode, they will blow the system to smithereens when the car tries to relevel itself off the ground. That is out of warranty and mighty expensive. I know a tire guy who learned that the hard way.

The other thing that I have found is that my guy does not have the special tools to align the car. Apparently, the fasteners are different than other cars.

Brake fluid should be no issue. But remember that since you will use your brakes so much less, they just don't seem to wear much. Hence less stress on the fluid.

I would never have anybody but Tesla do a coolant flush. It's completely different than an ICE.

I do my own wipers. Takes two seconds. You will need a certain Bosch Icon model. They ain't cheap! But they install easier than any wiper I have ever had.

My local service center offered a free tire rotation at 7500 miles. I dropped off the car, they gave me a free (to me) uber ride back to my house then delivered the car to my house all at no charge to me (tesla driver who delivered car took an uber back to the service center). Bill said "goodwill" as form of payment. I'd call my local service center and see if they do this for free in your area too.

I'm sure your mechanic could do those things but they can't check the computer like Tesla can and update your software if necessary. They also detailed my car which was nice. I also understand Tesla will proactively replace parts they see that are wearing prematurely and/or have service bulletins

My local service center offered a free tire rotation at 7500 miles. I dropped off the car, they gave me a free (to me) uber ride back to my house then delivered the car to my house all at no charge to me (tesla driver who delivered car took an uber back to the service center). Bill said "goodwill" as form of payment. I'd call my local service center and see if they do this for free in your area too.

I'm sure your mechanic could do those things but they can't check the computer like Tesla can and update your software if necessary. They also detailed my car which was nice. I also understand Tesla will proactively replace parts they see that are wearing prematurely and/or have service bulletins
I got a "free" tire rotation around the same time too. Though I dropped off my car for the 2nd or 3rd time with a list of things that were wrong, and I asked them to rotate the tires, I asked about the price and said ok. When I went to pick it up, I asked about paying, and they told me they did it under good will.

I'm probably due for my 2nd rotation, doubt it'll be free though, heh.

I get the local tire shop to rotate my tires every 5-6K miles. I have 46K on the original all seasons (I also have winter tires) and they're going strong. As for service, have them service it once a year and dont worry about the mileage in between. Thats the consistent advice Tesla has been giving me and its worked through 66K miles so far.

Just had a nail in my tire fixed for free at my local Discount Tire. Don't forget to have them torque the nuts to 129-130 ft lbs. It should be listed in their specs for a Tesla, but doesn't hurt to make sure they do it.

I also plan on going to Tesla to get a "goodwill" tire rotation at 5-6000 miles.