Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routinely removing roof rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a roof rack as I’m going on a long camping road trip this summer...I’ve seen some things that the bars themselves reduce range up to 7%. While I’m prepared for range loss with a roof rack and box, I’d rather not have loss from the rack itself all the time going forward. Do any of you routinely attach and un-attach the roof rack?

I basically installed the roof rack as soon as it became available. I have not and do not plan to remove it as I read horror stories of cracked glass and inconsistent torque specifications. I am sure that there is some range loss due to always leaving it installed, but I do have the LR version and have never had to panic about running out of range. On another note it has gotten a lot better too with the amount of new superchargers all over since 2018.

I've installed and removed them over a dozen times without issue. The only thing is that I end up leaving the stickers on the car. It's only a problem for me as my car is a full Matte wrap. So the spots where the rack touches are now shiny again.

Just get a good quality torque wrench.

I saw around a 5% hit on my outgoing car with a bare roof rack installed. After researching it looks like the Tesla branded roof rack or a Yakima rack that clips on to the door frame are the only two non-drilling options. Obviously the Yakima rack will be easier, or maybe not, to take on and off but I really like the look of the Tesla rack and how it just fits the car. Is it easy to use (add and remove bicycle, ski mounts and roof boxes)?

I had Tesla attach the rack last fall and I have never taken it off . I like the look and the convenience for my Yakima ski rack and my kayak in the summer. Super quiet and haven’t noticed any range hit to speak of.
Seconded. Mine went on as soon as I got the car, hasn’t come off once. Looks good, no noise, no measurable impact on range.

Reactions: 21EV and Jeff Davlt