Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routing 12V power (hub) to the front compartment of center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to start a new thread on this, since I may have unintentionally co-opted this one:

RPMTesla seems deceiving... Skeptical about their wireless charging mat

The purpose of this thread is to discuss potential solutions for routing 12V power to the front of the center console. Basically, I'd like to position a powered USB hub in the front bin, under the charging dock, which would have the side benefit of freeing up the low power USB ports for data use.

Since I don't have my M3 yet, I can't test this out yet, but maybe someone out there will?

Ok, here's idea #1:

71c%2BcGZccRL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon sells a device, ironically called 'Tesla's Splitter' (4.5 stars, 287 reviews), which plugs into a car's 12V power outlet, and powers a hub that contains 4 USB ports (two 2.4 Amp, two 1.0 Amp), and 3 additional 12V outlets. It has a 39.3" cable, which would be run through the side trim of the center console, to the front bin, using the same routing that RPM Tesla uses to power their Qi Charging pucks (which looks like a great wireless charging solution -- I might try it, but using this hub as the power source instead):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HMYV7...MW2G8GGMN8HA&pd_rd_w=BOkpe&th=1&tag=tmc064-20

Some questions to be answered:

1. Would the 12V plug fit into the car's cigarette lighter, and leave enough room for the tray to still fit? Apparently, there isn't a lot of clearance, but I think the right angle cord origin on this adapter would allow it to fit.

2. Is 39.3" of cable enough? Too long? Also, is it too thick for the proposed cable routing?

Thoughts?

Some questions to be answered:

1. Would the 12V plug fit into the car's cigarette lighter, and leave enough room for the tray to still fit? Apparently, there isn't a lot of clearance, but I think the right angle cord origin on this adapter would allow it to fit.

2. Is 39.3" of cable enough? Too long? Also, is it too thick for the proposed cable routing?

Thoughts?

RPM Tesla's video that you linked mentioned that he'd be selling the low profile lighter plug and thin USB cables to support the installation - I'm curious to see what those look like. And yes, 39.3" is too long, for sure.