Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routing Cables Through the Firewall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I just mounted my Ham radio antenna on my Model X in the only place that made sense--on the frunk lid.
Once installed, I had to route the antenna cable (a very small coax), into the cabin. I researched some forum discussions but it seems my Model X is newer than the one shown as I could find nothing that resembled the pictures shown.

So, being unable to reach Tesla customer service or chat for support (again), I called a local Tesla body shop (Accurate Body in Redmond, WA). They told me to come over to look at some disassembled Model Xs to see if I could locate this mysterious missing grommet. When I arrived they came out and went to work. Ten minutes later, they had pulled a few plastic baffles under the frunk and wedged a bit of the trim to one side and got the wire snaked through. It seems there is a square channel behind the frunk hinge on the left side. I have attached a picture to show (roughly) where it's located. Once the cable was through the firewall (and essentially just inside the outer skin of the car), routing it behind the decorative panels (which just pop off), was easy.

IMG_4682.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg

Thank goodness for great customer service. And no, they didn't charge me for their kind assistance to an old vet.

Yes, this is how I did it. On the inside (after adding an extension cable to the antenna lead), I tucked it under the seams of the interior panels and ended up in the center console where the radio will eventually live.

Note sure what AP model you have but in that thread are a whole bunch of photos of different routing of a video cable from the front of the car via your route into the dash area and then in my case, to the center console. I had to take out the glovebox and surrounding trim for a clean install. Plus be careful you don't get your cable in the way of the passenger airbag.

Reactions: Beta V
I just mounted my Ham radio antenna on my Model X in the only place that made sense--on the frunk lid.
Once installed, I had to route the antenna cable (a very small coax), into the cabin. I researched some forum discussions but it seems my Model X is newer than the one shown as I could find nothing that resembled the pictures shown.

So, being unable to reach Tesla customer service or chat for support (again), I called a local Tesla body shop (Accurate Body in Redmond, WA). They told me to come over to look at some disassembled Model Xs to see if I could locate this mysterious missing grommet. When I arrived they came out and went to work. Ten minutes later, they had pulled a few plastic baffles under the frunk and wedged a bit of the trim to one side and got the wire snaked through. It seems there is a square channel behind the frunk hinge on the left side. I have attached a picture to show (roughly) where it's located. Once the cable was through the firewall (and essentially just inside the outer skin of the car), routing it behind the decorative panels (which just pop off), was easy.

View attachment 400660 View attachment 400660

Thank goodness for great customer service. And no, they didn't charge me for their kind assistance to an old vet.
Hey beta V. Is it possible to upload a pic of exact location?? I am having a hard time finding this as well