Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routing without traffic. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C7951875-DABF-47CB-83A8-887D6903AFE4.jpeg
EAE9A14F-E995-4BCA-8F71-668A0B8C56A6.png
Premium connectivity.

Picture shows traffic conditions displayed but I have the "routing without traffic data" advisory. This wasnt transient. Started when I left DC, Stopped to supercharge, and this is ~2.5 hours later.

Owners manual is sparse on the topic. Anyone figure out what causes the null? I was navigating to a regular address that I usually get traffic info on but I've noticed this advisory with increased frequency lately.

I know it shows the signal with a slash icon but I had plenty of signal, including at this time and why I emphasized that I was on 95 in NOVA with plenty of LTE coverage

View attachment 740417View attachment 740418Premium connectivity.

Picture shows traffic conditions displayed but I have the "routing without traffic data" advisory. This wasnt transient. Started when I left DC, Stopped to supercharge, and this is ~2.5 hours later.

Owners manual is sparse on the topic. Anyone figure out what causes the null? I was navigating to a regular address that I usually get traffic info on but I've noticed this advisory with increased frequency lately.

I know it shows the signal with a slash icon but I had plenty of signal, including at this time and why I emphasized that I was on 95 in NOVA with plenty of LTE coverage

The car didnt have plenty of signal, the car was disconnected, as it shows. The other screenshot is from your phone, which has signal, but your phone having signal doesnt mean the car does. it can also take the car a long time to re connect if it loses signal... but the car definitely did not have signal (or didnt think it had signal) or that symbol would not have been there, no mater how much your phone had signal.

The car didnt have plenty of signal, the car was disconnected, as it shows. The other screenshot is from your phone, which has signal, but your phone having signal doesnt mean the car does. it can also take the car a long time to re connect if it loses signal... but the car definitely did not have signal (or didnt think it had signal) or that symbol would not have been there, no mater how much your phone had signal.
... the car had bars. 4 of them. That's Tesla streaming music playing in the picture.

Like I said, 2.5 hours in on 95. The photo didn't show the entire MCU but I was driving so excuse the cinematography.

Also, you're missing my point that live traffic data is being displayed in that picture. So why is the advisory latched.

TBC, it displayed the entire drive. This didn't just pop-up. I get it all the time so I'm not sure if it's using traffic or not. Clearly it shows it on the map.

... the car had bars. 4 of them. That's Tesla streaming music playing in the picture.

Like I said, 2.5 hours in on 95. The photo didn't show the entire MCU but I was driving so excuse the cinematography.

Also, you're missing my point that live traffic data is being displayed in that picture. So why is the advisory latched.
ahh.. gotcha....

I havent seen that error message before, myself. I remember reading something about tesla changing data service providers for traffic data or working on that.

Did a quick google and saw this (from 2020):

Perhaps there were no (or not enough) cars in your area to provide traffic data from teslas fleet? Just throwing stuff at the wall at this point, I have no idea, just figured I would share this info that I remember being talked about last year.

I have this on my 2021 plaid Model S. And i cannot connect to the car from the app, nor can teslafi talk to it, meaning the car is not able to communicate to tesla. It shows traffic, it shows connectivity to LTE.

When i go to the software section, it shows last time it was able to check for updates was 12/31/2021. Even on WiFi it’s still showing that “last checked” date of 12/31/2021.

I have tesla looking into it, but they are not really doing much honestly. Sucks because it’s winter and i can’t monitor the battery, nor turn on heating, or anything. Can’t unlock car remotely etc.

I have this on my 2021 plaid Model S. And i cannot connect to the car from the app, nor can teslafi talk to it, meaning the car is not able to communicate to tesla. It shows traffic, it shows connectivity to LTE.

When i go to the software section, it shows last time it was able to check for updates was 12/31/2021. Even on WiFi it’s still showing that “last checked” date of 12/31/2021.

I have tesla looking into it, but they are not really doing much honestly. Sucks because it’s winter and i can’t monitor the battery, nor turn on heating, or anything. Can’t unlock car remotely etc.
Let me know what they say! It isn’t nearly that persistent for me but still happens.

I have similar things happen. I have “bars” and live traffic shows, but when that “Routing without traffic” is present, I can’t plan routes or communicate with the car. Strangely, audio streaming seems to work.

ETA: Voice commands also don’t work only when that advisory is present if that helps anyone else better assess.

Has persisted for several versions now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lpleiss
issue resolved. they rebooted the main computer. i think by disconnecting the 12v battery. i have no idea why i didn’t think of that. they also pushed a firmware update. got track mode now. 👍
Hi! I just found this thread. I am having the same problem regularly on the Long Island Expressway (plenty of data, can stream music, but no traffic data). Can I ask - was this a permanent situation for a given drive or it came and went? For me, it happens regularly on the LIE, but not the whole drive.