Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routing your HPWC charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Galvanized Furring Channel works well for routing your HPWC charging cable along walls or ceilings. It's widely available in 12-foot lengths for $5 - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralta...teel-High-Hat-Furring-Channel-13194/202092934

It's a clean way to route your cable to drop down from above. The cable's long length also lets you mount your HPWC away from your car's charging port to a spot more convenient to your electrical service and/or your garage layout. Just squeeze the Galvanized Channel into a "U" shape by hand and the cable easily snaps in (and out). Cut it with tin snips and mount with screws.

View out door 225h.jpg
2015-04-23 overall 300.jpg
2015-04-23 straight 225h.jpg
2015-04-23 bend 225h.jpg
2015-04-23 Bottom of HPWC 2 225h.jpg

Nice and clean, great idea!

Just a suggestion, I'd probably add just a couple more inches to your loop under the HPWC. That's a pretty tight bend radius; definitely not anything to be scared of, but on the edge of what I would consider healthy for that cable. You may not be able to do it without repositioning the vertical channel (because you'd just make the loop tighter with more length), but for others I would try to ensure that the vertical channel is 8-10" from the HPWC. The HPWC cable is 13/16" in diameter, rule of thumb for bend radius is 5x the cable diameter, so bend radius would be 4 1/16". This means that the channel should be 8 1/8" from the HPWC assuming a true circular loop beneath it. 8" will do, 10" is better to keep strain off the cable.

Nice and clean, great idea!
Thanks for your compliment and bend radius suggestion.

BTW, this is my 2nd HPWC (getting ready for 2nd Tesla) and installing it was a breeze due to a previous suggestion you gave me - Polaris connectors in a junction box with both HPWCs sharing the same 100A breaker. Used #2 wire from breaker-to-box and #3 wire from box to each HPWC.

I just purchased a retractable tool reel, similar to the device you find on a gas pump to keep the spare hose off the ground. I plan to attach it to the ceiling and at the cable near to the charging end. The aim is to keep the head off the ground and out of harms way. I'll post a pic once I have it up and operational.

I just purchased a retractable tool reel, similar to the device you find on a gas pump to keep the spare hose off the ground. I plan to attach it to the ceiling and at the cable near to the charging end. The aim is to keep the head off the ground and out of harms way. I'll post a pic once I have it up and operational.
Hanging it from above keeps it off the ground because it doesn't reach the ground. When not in use, I put it behind a hook to the right of the garage door and let it hang there.

Hanging cable 276h.jpg

This is my solution, bought an industrial swing arm and mounted it to the garage wall and then zip tied the cable to the arm. When it's charging, you can walk underneath and move the recycling or trash, and then when I leave, I just push the arm flush against the wall. Still need to figure out a hook on the arm to keep the charging unit out of the way and not hanging down.

A nice feature of the swing arm is that it's designed for a shop fan, so the receptacles can be plugged in. I was thinking about mounting a spot light onto it for when I am shoveling the driveway in the winter...

Attachments

• IMG_7061.JPG
    IMG_7061.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7064.JPG
    IMG_7064.JPG
    538.8 KB · Views: 88