Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Royal Screwup by Tesla for Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...I bought a small Tesla solar system, the install was great, team was on time, clean, courteous and really good people and the install was really well done.

Then comes the inspection. Scheduled for later this week, but when I got home tonight there's a note on my door from the inspector saying they came to inspect and that I will be charged $150.00 for a missed inspection fee...

I really wish Tesla would get their customer service in order, great product but horrible customer service across the board.

I was going to buy 2 large systems for my parents who live in norcal in the fire zones to replace PG&E, but now I'm debating going with Tesla.

(had to rant)

I really wish Tesla would get their customer service in order, great product but horrible customer service across the board.

Agreed. I will say that my customer service from Tesla Energy after the sale has been abysmal. Took them 4 months to fix an installation problem with my panels, most of which time they denied anything was wrong with my panels. Good times. I have considered hiring a 3rd party solar company to maintain my system I got so frustrated with them.

The inspection is not your responsibility. The installer (Licensed contractor who obtained the permit) has to be there for the inspection, not the homeowner. If the installer missed the inspection, they are on the hook for the reinspection, not you. I wouldn't stress the fee, but I would be disappointed it didn't get the final so you could move toward turn up.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have had this before with a number of electrical systems so I always figure out what the inspection date is and make sure I am home. My county is pretty good about posting permit status etc. That's how I also verified the Tesla had actually pulled the permit and it was the correct one.

Most times I can "fake" or deal with questions the inspector has but the biggest thing they need is access and the permit card to sign.

Thanks for reminding me about this and I will try to see if I can get Tesla to leave the inspection card on site for my next week PW install.

The inspection is not your responsibility. The installer (Licensed contractor who obtained the permit) has to be there for the inspection, not the homeowner. If the installer missed the inspection, they are on the hook for the reinspection, not you. I wouldn't stress the fee, but I would be disappointed it didn't get the final so you could move toward turn up.
I know different municipalities have different rules, but in Florida, the property owner is responsible for ensuring the inspector has access to necessary areas to complete the inspection. The property owner is also Ultimately responsible for ensuring all permits are closed at the end of permitted work. While the contractor SHOULD do it, the property owner is responsible.

I had some work done at a commercial property that was completed(so I thought). When we went to pull new permits for additional work, we were told that the old permits had not be closed and we could not get a new permit and it was our responsibility to ensure the contractors closed all permits including final inspections

Yeah, right. If I left it to Tesla to do the inspection, I would still be waiting for it. After waiting for 3 weeks, I called the city myself to schedule the inspection, and was there for it.

it all worked out in the end, no extra fee. Inspector was running really late, looked at the install for 1 second, signed off and speed away....

In my county you have to provide access to the inside of the house for them to inspect your fire and co2 monitors.

now waiting on PG&E to allow me to turn on the system

it all worked out in the end, no extra fee. Inspector was running really late, looked at the install for 1 second, signed off and speed away....

In my county you have to provide access to the inside of the house for them to inspect your fire and co2 monitors.

now waiting on PG&E to allow me to turn on the system

Which country are you i?. I am in Alameda and hope I get an inspector that signs off in 1 second!

So...I bought a small Tesla solar system, the install was great, team was on time, clean, courteous and really good people and the install was really well done.

Then comes the inspection. Scheduled for later this week, but when I got home tonight there's a note on my door from the inspector saying they came to inspect and that I will be charged $150.00 for a missed inspection fee...

I was going to buy 2 large systems for my parents who live in norcal in the fire zones to replace PG&E, but now I'm debating going with Tesla.

(had to rant)
Tesla did not show up to my solar inspection. I was at the property, but Tesla representation needed to by here for the inspection to take place. How long did it take for them to reschedule? I spoke with a rep from Tesla, and he said he would look into it and let me know of a new date. Frustrating.

Tesla did not show up to my solar inspection. I was at the property, but Tesla representation needed to by here for the inspection to take place. How long did it take for them to reschedule? I spoke with a rep from Tesla, and he said he would look into it and let me know of a new date. Frustrating.

For our inspection, the Tesla guy called the day before to confirm and gave us a time window. You should call and get a similar confirmation directly from the person Tesla is sending.