Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Royal Steering Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Considering getting my steering wheel re-trimmed.

Nothing wrong with its current condition but thought a half leather half Alcantara combination might go well with the dash and console modifications I've made and also be a bit warmer to the touch in winter.

I used this company before who did an excellent job on my previous BMW:

Royal Steering Wheels | Exclusive look, unique feeling

This is the design I'd probably go for (without the centre line):

SmartSelect_20201003-143619_Chrome.jpg

Anyone know if the steering wheel is easy enough to remove?

Does the airbag feed from the 12v battery as I'll have to disconnect the power source to remove it?

Any other foreseeable issues in swapping out a steering wheel on the model 3?

Reactions: Cyclone1
Can they do a heated option? Not sure how you would control it though - seat heater maybe.
No, they just retrim the existing hardware, ensuring that the materials they use are suitable if, for example, your wheel is already heated.

I'm not sure how you'd retrofit a heated wheel without official support. Would probably need a cable running from the seat heater element through the centre console and up through the steering column. Even then, not sure I'd want the wheel to be heated at all times when the heated seats are activated.

Watch out with Alcantara on the steering wheel. It'll pickup grease and sweat from your hands (like it or not), and become quite matted and horrible in no time.

Yes, you can wash it all off, with plenty of elbow grease, but that's a lot lot easier when the steering wheel is removable. I know this from experience.

I suspect this is why the BMW one above is Alcantara top and bottom where you're less likely to have your hands for very long. Stick to that if you have to have the stuff on.

Watch out with Alcantara on the steering wheel. It'll pickup grease and sweat from your hands (like it or not), and become quite matted and horrible in no time.

Yes, you can wash it all off, with plenty of elbow grease, but that's a lot lot easier when the steering wheel is removable. I know this from experience.

I suspect this is why the BMW one above is Alcantara top and bottom where you're less likely to have your hands for very long. Stick to that if you have to have the stuff on.
Thank you. That's good advice and something to consider.

As a performance metric BMW are in a class of their own with servicing costs.

Isn't it Stella Artois who claim to be "reassuringly expensive" :D

Mercedes come pretty close, though. I recall being phoned by the dealer at work when my Merc was in for a routine service, advising me that the spark plugs needed changing. I was busy, puzzled by them ringing to tell me something that seemed just a part of normal servicing, so told them to just do it. When I picked the car up that evening I found that they had charged ~£75 per spark plug to change them . . .

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: phil4 and Exy1