TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RPM Spoiler

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by slade037, Aug 6, 2018.

1. slade037

slade037 Member

For those who are gonna get the RPM spoiler or those who already have it, can you tell me if you had any debris inside of it? I'm hesitant to install it if there's stuff rattling in there. Any ideas on how to clean it out> . I've emailed RPM and we'll see what they say.

Here is a crappy video of mine.

2. Koflach

Koflach Member

why does it matter? It's installed outside of the vehicle where you will never hear the rattle.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Adam3

Adam3 Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Your car should never do a 180+ degree flip so it won't be an issue :D

• Funny x 5
  4. Narekzo

Narekzo Member

I think its more of a quality thing than if it'll actually make a sound or not when applied.. Aftermarket parts will always have little flaws

• Like x 2
  5. slade037

slade037 Member

#5 slade037, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    For those who self installed the RPM spoiler, did you have any of my fitment issues? I am experiencing a lot of problems keep both the right and left corners down. The spoiler is centered on the trunk. 6.5 inches of space on each side. If I push down on the left corner, the middle back and right corner lifts up. If I push down on the right corner, the left corner lifts up. I tried using painters tape as you demonstrated in your video, but there is no way that it has enough strength to keep the spoiler down. Even with 5 minutes of human strength pushing down on the spoiler, it just lifts. Any advice?

• Informative x 1
  6. forkee

forkee Member

Wow that's only slightly annoying, lol.

I was fortunate enough to have the owner Mark install mine. It went on perfect but when I took the duct tape off, the left side lifted up slightly. Rest is still perfectly on.

I am going to tuck 1" wide heavy duty double sided foam tape under the part that is lifting up (probably half a foot towards the middle if it can reach) and retape that side down for a few more days to see if that keeps it down.

• Informative x 1
  7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Don’t rely on tape only use silicon as well than tape down with heavier duty tape than painters tape

• Like x 1
  8. gambit48

gambit48 Member

No debris. Left corner lifted slightly. I'm talking 1 mm or so up so that the sticky tape wouldn't touch the paint at the very corner. I used painter's tape fairly liberally over both ends and the middle. Than added light weights on the spoiler. Waited 48 hours. No lift anymore.

• Like x 1
  9. JTesmod3

JTesmod3 Member

I thought the RPM tesla spoiler looked good and I was going to buy it, then I saw teslas performance version which made me change my mind; the 2 are not even comparable quality/look wise .

• Like x 3
  10. TrentC

TrentC Member

471F97AF-B872-4C8A-A2C7-78958C57955E.jpeg C74CC881-B7B5-4C2A-8A7F-8B5DDF2D6D82.jpeg No fitment issues with my Tesla 3 carbon RPM unit. Bought it a month ago. Installed flat with no rattling. Has been rock solid. IMO the silver needed it. Sorry you are having trouble, why not get a warranty exchange?

• Love x 1
  11. gambit48

gambit48 Member

But how much is the Tesla one? $1500? For $1300 more, it better be much, much nicer.

12. JTesmod3

JTesmod3 Member

Its just hard to go back, like i said i liked it when i first saw it then teslas came out; regardless of cost, its no competition...i wouldnt be able to put that on my car after seeing teslas spoiler

13. TrentC

TrentC Member

Interesting. I diddnt see any big visual difference between Tesla’s Performance spoiler and RPMs. I will pay closer attention next time.

14. JTesmod3

JTesmod3 Member

#14 JTesmod3, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    IMG_20180720_142139.jpg
    It's all in the details :) 20180720_154111-COLLAGE.jpg IMG_20180720_142212.jpg IMG_20180720_142208.jpg

• Like x 1
  15. slade037

slade037 Member

Is duct tape safe for the paint? That's the only reason I used painters tape. What kind of silicon do you recommend?

16. slade037

slade037 Member

Yours does look great. I love the look and glad yours has been problem free. I sent an email to Mark last night so I'll wait and see what he says.

17. forkee

forkee Member

Great close up pics of the Tesla stock spoiler! I can see the major differences in design where the RPM version is not so sharp on the ends (extends about an inch rather than coming to a point), and also it rest fully on top of the trunk while Tesla's looks like half of it is over the top, half over the back.

Despite my small fitment inconvenience, I would also still choose RPM versus any higher priced option. It is really a beautiful spoiler and at 1/5th the cost, it was perfect for me.

back.jpg back1.jpg

• Like x 4
  18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

#18 P85_DA, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    79F22F39-3B26-45D5-8AE1-0909098F3175.jpeg
    I used a DAP silicon , I haven’t tried duct tape as I used a good painters tape ..note I don’t have a 3 but I put a Novitec spoiler on my X as below I was speaking more to the technique ..over time the 3m tape loses adhesivenes which is why I put silicon

• Informative x 2
  19. Crispix

Crispix Member

Did you get the glossy or matte spoiler? Your photos look really nice. Was installation as easy as the video?

I'm getting a blue 3 soon, too. Trying to decide on glossy vs matte

20. forkee

forkee Member

Installation takes a lot of time and patience, definitely not as easy as he makes it seem on video. I went with the matte one to go with my matte wrap. If you're going to do stock blue, get the gloss spoiler.

• Like x 2