Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My RPM one is fine in terms of fit. I specifically didn't want one that rested on the back of the trunk. I wanted it on top. I messed up one of the interior console wrap pieces. Sent an e-mail. They sent me a replacement.

Unless you use that inside handle in the trunk solely, you're just making excuses to justify the OEM one if you think the spoiler doesn't become a handle. It becomes a handle. That's not why I wanted a spoiler that sat on top (I prefer the looks of the ones that sit on top), but it's certainly a side benefit.

My RPM one is fine in terms of fit. I specifically didn't want one that rested on the back of the trunk. I wanted it on top. I messed up one of the interior console wrap pieces. Sent an e-mail. They sent me a replacement.

Unless you use that inside handle in the trunk solely, you're just making excuses to justify the OEM one if you think the spoiler doesn't become a handle. It becomes a handle. That's not why I wanted a spoiler that sat on top (I prefer the looks of the ones that sit on top), but it's certainly a side benefit.

I wonder why the other person on this thread said his spoiler doesn't fit flush on his trunk lid....

I doubt any of them would easily break off under normal trunk closing forces. CF is really strong and flexible even very thin.

I do like mine for the same reason though, that's where I put my fingerprints when I close my trunk, right on the spoiler.

i agree, CF is very strong. i had a CF hood and hatch on my '97 celica. i don't think they would break at all. the issue i can foresee is the brute sudden pressure exerted either directly on top of an otherwise empty spoiler shell, or the edge of a side affixed spoiler. using it to grab and close a trunk i see no problem, but when that trunk closes and cannot go any further, your hand/fingers are still moving in one direction and the opposing force from the now closed trunk is exerting just as much energy in the opposite direction essentially doubling the pressure on the spoilers contacted area. i just would not feel comfortable using it to shut the trunk.

That makes no sense. If you use 3M tape, nothing is taking it off except a piece of fishing line with heat applied.

3M adhesive is strong but not exactly all that and a bag of chips. stressed areas that deteriorate over an extended period of time will prove to reduce reliability.

Well, if that is the case then Tesla will have a bunch of warranty issues with all the 3s with the spoiler.

could be why they haven't put any on anyone's PUP 3s as of yet. they haven't been able to guarantee quality and reliability on the current iteration. they might just change or tweak the design before mass producing them.

3M adhesive is strong but not exactly all that and a bag of chips. stressed areas that deteriorate over an extended period of time will prove to reduce reliability.

That's what OEM uses so I fail to see the difference. Plus, on the pictures where they come off, it's the paint that gives and not the tape. That's what made me most nervous of putting it on -- since some did, with corners lifting, so they tried to take it off, and took the paint with it. Just look over at the S threads on spoilers that come off, or are pulled off, to see the damage. It's not the tape ripping. It's the paint. 3M on a spoiler (in full) is much tougher than certain of the other trim on a Tesla, like the chrome moldings, for example.

could be why they haven't put any on anyone's PUP 3s as of yet. they haven't been able to guarantee quality and reliability on the current iteration. they might just change or tweak the design before mass producing them.

The picture I posted of the OEM rear spoiler was one of three cars that had the spoilers installed at the Burbank Tesla dealer.

That's what OEM uses so I fail to see the difference. Plus, on the pictures where they come off, it's the paint that gives and not the tape. That's what made me most nervous of putting it on -- since some did, with corners lifting, so they tried to take it off, and took the paint with it. Just look over at the S threads on spoilers that come off, or are pulled off, to see the damage. It's not the tape ripping. It's the paint. 3M on a spoiler (in full) is much tougher than certain of the other trim on a Tesla, like the chrome moldings, for example.
Thats why Mark from RPM wipes the application area with alcohol... so the tape doesn't stick right away. It should allow you enough time to slide the spoiler around on the trunk and make adjustments.

I used the same method when installing the TSportsline spoiler. With the 3M VHB tape, it's not going anywhere.

Thats why Mark from RPM wipes the application area with alcohol... so the tape doesn't stick right away. It should allow you enough time to slide the spoiler around on the trunk and make adjustments.

That sounds nuts to me. Why do you need to slide it around? You tape it out first with masking tape before taking the 3M backing tape off, so you have the exact outline, then you take the backing tape off, place it down inside the masking tape frame you made, and it's on. Easy as pie, as you can see in the pics of my install on my S, here:

Carbon Fiber Spoiler

But alcohol first to slide it around? If you're sliding it around, you're in trouble! Plus, alcohol will weaken the glue when you finally decide to stop skating around on the alcohol ice rink. I wouldn't trust anything, or any product, from RPM -- and they keep proving me right!

I wonder why the other person on this thread said his spoiler doesn't fit flush on his trunk lid....

Probably different batches of spoilers. I called RPM once due to a delay in shipment and they said that they had a batch of "bad" spoilers come in from their distributor once.

Yeah, I can believe his didn't fit. The left side of mine was raised maybe a millimeter? Taped it down and put a weight on in. I actually taped the whole spoiler and put weights on all of it just to be safe. Looks totally normal now. I guess mine was within tolerances? Maybe his wasn't and in that bad batch? It was $200 vs $900 or probably $1500. Mine looks totally fine installed so I really don't mind having to tape it down. Considering the price difference, I cut him a little slack. I get compliments all the time on mine so it's not like it looks like crap. It looks good.

That sounds nuts to me. Why do you need to slide it around? You tape it out first with masking tape before taking the 3M backing tape off, so you have the exact outline, then you take the backing tape off, place it down inside the masking tape frame you made, and it's on. Easy as pie, as you can see in the pics of my install on my S, here:

Yeah, you definitely don't need it to slide around. That's just stupid. I think their stuff is just fine. I have their console wraps too and the quality was much better than I expected.

It's just that his installation instructions are garbage. Or the products change slightly between batches and his instructions don't line up. For example, on my spoiler, it had extra tape that his instruction sample spoiler didn't have. It wasn't rocket science to figure out to pull some tape off first so you have an end to grab when you set it down. I did mess up one console wrap piece because of his bad instructions, but he sent me a replacement so no biggie.

When you do your test fit, once you find exactly where you want it to be, tape it off right at the ends of the spoiler. Then, when you lift it off to peel the tape off and stick it down, you know exactly where to place the spoiler. No idea why he leaves 3+ inches in his instructional video. Again, that's just stupid.

Trying to get a response from RPM is pretty hard. I have yet to receive a response from them after 2 contact attempts.

They still have yet to respond to my previous 2 emails. I'm done wasting my time. Products are decent, service is TERRIBLE.

After a few emails to them without a response, I got one the other day. When they get more spoilers in, they will send me a replacement with a return tag for the defective spoiler. Let's see if they follow through.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
Wanted to update everyone. RPM is shipping out my replacement spoiler out tomorrow. I will update on the results of the fitment. It's getting cold out here so I'm not sure if this is the best time for an install.

Do you have a garage? I did some research before installing mine. The cold weather is a common question that pops up. Seems that as long as you install it in a garage, keep it there overnight with tape on, and leave the tape on for a couple of days at least, it should be fine. 3M auto tape isn't that delicate. I read posts about this issue on Ford (mostly Mustangs), BMW, and Honda/Acura forums that Google pulled up. All said the same thing. People were installing spoilers in winter in places like Minnesota and upstate New York with no problems.

So installed the spoiler. I spent a lot of time centering it. I didn't even use the templates they provided, but rather made sure the tip of the spoiler to the left and right edge of the trunk lid were equidistant (I believe it is 13.6cm on both sides). You also need to slide the spoiler forward and backward to find the sweet spot so the edges don't lift, and mark it with painter's tape.

I almost screwed up the installation because when pulling the tape lining, I pulled the bottom one through the top of the spoiler, and the top one through the bottom of the spoiler. The tape lining kept ripping, and I almost lost the end under the spoiler which would have made it impossible to properly expose the 3M tape. TIP: Know which way to pull each end!

As well, know that the double sided tape is the strongest tape I have ever seen. When I was trying to free the tape lining and it kept getting stuck, I tried to lift the spoiler, but that sucker was bonded permanently as if it was welded on. TIP: Make sure it's in the proper position before pressing down! There are no second chances.

The spoiler fits perfectly, and the ends don't lift. Proper placement is the key. Experiment as much as possible before pulling the red tape lining.

I just installed mine today after three coats of cquartz uk on the spoiler
20181117_160937.jpg
20181117_160858.jpg