TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

RPM Tesla Cubby Drawer - Review

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Struja, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Struja

Struja Member

Hey folks, just thought I would drop a quick review of the RPM Tesla drawer.

I am especially focusing and my fellow Canadians as some of these items pertain to us specifically.

I placed my order 4 days ago and given that the product was coming from California, I had NO expectations that it would come quickly. I was also concerned that the product could get held up by customs or that it wouldn't be released unless and until I paid some ridiculous duty on it...which is partly why I am writing.

To my complete surprise, I got the cubby today. It came appropriately packaged in a box and wrapped in bubble wrap. I ordered the Obeche Matte finish to match my interior. The drawer is beautiful. Strong, sturdy and looks expensive. I also ordered the white carbon fibre Tesla "T" on the interior.

Installation to less than 1 minute and can be done by a useless boob like me! As others have mentioned, ther is a small gap on the left side (when looking at it) but I don't think it is too noticeable or bothersome.

I think it is a very nice product which I am happy to recommend to others.

I've attached some pics.

20170929_150142.jpg

20170929_150158.jpg

20170929_150139.jpg

• Like x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I've got one of these in Carbon Fiber for my X, waiting to install when it comes back from getting wrapped. Looks great, and can't wait to install. Highly recommended!

3. Darmie

Darmie Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    I like it but wonder if that handle sticks out to far?

4. Struja

Struja Member

I think it might look that way in the pics but I don't find it to be too obtrusive.

5. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

What is involved in the "installation"? I got one of the handmade cubby's from Carina and there was no installation involved, you just slide it into the cubby and you are done. It doesn't come out unless you pull it out, even under full Ludicrous+ acceleration.

6. Struja

Struja Member

So, you slide it into place and it "locks" into place. You are right...it isn't going anywhere.

However what I meant is that there are two little sticky tabs you stick to the top of the cubby space to prevent you from pulling the entire drawer out once open. Does that make sense?

Installation was probably the wrong word.

7. Naomi

Naomi TelsaMomLoverAZ

No installation ! They start at only $39 too with free shipping.

8. Naomi

Naomi TelsaMomLoverAZ

I know a friend in Phoenix that hated his, it flies out he said, and it fell apart over the summer. Norms is double the price of RPMTESLA.com, and it is made of glued together pieces of plastic. RPM's is solid injection molded plastic. No comparison.

The customer service and same day shipping at RPM Tesla did it for me !

RPM Tesla

Check out all of the different types you can get, Real leather, not (Plastic like Norm), Alcantera, suede, even carbon fiber wrapped like we got !!

• Like x 1
  9. Struja

Struja Member

Not to Canada. $69.00 + $10 shipping. About $110 CAD, with shipping. Worth every penny IMO but I think that better reflects the Canadian cost.

10. boaterva

RPM has the sticky feet as was said to hold it in if you like. They attach to the ‘ceiling’ of the cubby to act as a stopper. Then you can still tilt up the front to remove it. They also offer small battery powered lights to stick up inside if you want illumination. Also YouTube videos for installation all of this for the unmechanical. Excellent all around.

11. boaterva

Just measured mine, which is waiting for the car: it sticks out literally 5/8” (to the end of the handle), just enough for your fingers to grab.

12. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I bought two earlier this year, one for my S and one for my X. Got the little led lights. I store my sunglasses in the drawer. They work perfectly, my favorite mod.

13. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I don't know who Norm is. I got mine from Carina, and it is very nice and looks great.

14. boaterva

There are three main producers of these cubby drawers, Norm, Carina, and RPM. I think the molded RPM is the best, but everyone has differing opinions. It’s a bit of personal preference, also. YMMV. :D

• Like x 1
  15. Struja

Struja Member

I basically looked at the pics and videos available online and determined that I wanted the RPM one. I am really satisfied with the build and quality,

16. gjgoody

gjgoody New Member

Looks great... Would you happen to have a picture of it open to show the storage space?

17. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Waiting for the handle to be the same color as the drawer.

18. Naomi

Naomi TelsaMomLoverAZ

The aluminum handle matches the display bezel perfectly.

• Like x 1
  19. Naomi

Naomi TelsaMomLoverAZ

There are lots of videos on RPMTESLA.com. Under drawers, the have install videos and functional ones to explain their light options too.

20. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

#20 Jimmy 1, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    DARK ASH.JPG I got a Dark Ash face from eBay, different manufacture, but it works great.

• Like x 1