Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla Matte Carbon Fiber Dashboard Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
Today I installed my new carbon fiber dashboard replacement in the matte finish from RPM Tesla. I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance and hated the wood trim from the moment I ordered the car. As there were some design changes from ’20 to ’21 I reached out to RPM Tesla prior to ordering to ensure a proper fit. Took a couple days to get back to me, but they assured me the replacement would fit, so I placed my order.

Shipping was really fast, I ordered on March 23rd and received on April 2nd. The core charge doesn’t bother me at all, they provided everything you need to ship back your old dash including a pre-paid return label. I carefully unpacked the insert and was able to re-use all the material to safely send mine back for the next person. Will update on how long it takes for them to refund the core charge.

The piece looks magnificent. Truly OEM and perfect. Carbon fiber pattern looks great, it’s nice and smooth and feels just like the spoiler in the rear. Looks like the design has been improved from previous versions I have seen, with globs of glue holding the broken plastic welds from replacing the insert. Mine is bolted down with a couple dozen hefty nut/bolt combinations. Safe to say it’s never coming apart or separating.

I did have one minor installation issue to note. One single nut just to the right-hand side of the steering wheel was contacting part of the base dashboard piece and I was unable to fully seat the trim. After much trial and error, I was able to identify the offending nut. Once removed, everything snapped right into place. I’m not concerned with missing one nut as there are a couple dozen others holding everything together!

When my Wife came out to the garage to look she exclaimed “Wow! So much better than the 1970’s station wagon looking wood”. To my eye I think it really ties in nice with the performance spoiler (which was also kind of odd, on its own) and the gunmetal Uberturbines bringing everything together just perfect. Anyway I fantastic overall experience and they certainly get my nod of approval.

Tim

IMG_2164.jpeg
IMG_2162.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg

Looks great Tim. I see you also have the floor liners and what looks like the matte screen protector. Those were the first things I put in my car right at my pickup appointment lol. Also rpm Tesla is great I’ve gotten a couple things from them and they’ve been amazing.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Can you explain how the cost works out?

They say $299 but then i click into it and it shows $700 and a $250 core charge. What am i missing?

Read further down in the description and all the pricing is broken out, there's a section titled "FINAL PRICES PAID AFTER YOUR CORE IS RETURNED TO US" on this page: Model 3 & Y Carbon Fiber Dashboard Replacements- From $499

Mine will run $585 after the core charge is refunded. Keep in mind tax and shipping. This is real carbon fiber, a couple of other vendors sell carbon fiber covers for close to $500 (plus tax and shipping). Just a few dollars more and it'll never lift.

Tim

Reactions: Lindenwood
Thanks for the info on the Matte CF panel. I can't afford it for now but will get it eventually. I agree the wood doesn't seem to "fit" with the rest of the car. My wife had an XC90 with the OEM CF trim at one point so I know how well it looks in the proper setting.

@TBrownTX Thanks for the great review! I've been eyeing the exact dash piece for my MYP and was nice to see a positive review. You mentioned some differences with 2020 and 2021 dash piece what exactly is different? I have a 2021 MYP so I share the same concern. Also, are the bolts added to the rpm dash because the original trim was melted with plastic type rivets?

You can find real carbon fiber ones for much cheaper than this. I bought one from amazon for $200 over a year ago. Yes one piece real carbon fiber in a matte finish.

Yes, but those are “stuck on” pieces.

Stick on pieces are not full replacements, they are prone to lifting and sometimes leave the wood visible underneath. They also add bulk.

I wanted an OEM look, and got it.

Tim

Last edited:
Reactions: WSBKing420
@TBrownTX You mentioned some differences with 2020 and 2021 dash piece what exactly is different?

No difference whatsoever. Verified part numbers and revisions are identical.

Also, are the bolts added to the rpm dash because the original trim was melted with plastic type rivets?

Yes, that’s exactly right. The bolts are molded into the back of the CF dash insert.

Tim

Yes, but those are “stuck on” pieces.

Stick on pieces are not full replacements, they are prone to lifting and sometimes leave the wood visible underneath. They also add bulk.

I wanted an OEM look, and got it.

Tim

Ive had mine for almost a year and a half and it has not lifted, and I have yet to hear of anyone’s lifting. If you want to spend 3-4x the money for nothing that’s your prerogative.

Bulk? It was insanely thin. No you can’t see the wood underneath at all. You are coming up with crazy stuff to justify the high price you paid.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
ive had mine for almost a year and a half and it has not lifted, and I have yet to hear of anyone’s lifting. If you want to spend 3-4x the money for nothing that’s your prerogative.
The real carbon fiber caps from abstract ocean and rpm are 450+; as in they are nearly the same price as replacing the whole dash.

mid yours real CF? If so, where did you get it?